Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Help Pls...Another Rate Question?
frugalmama4 01:36 PM 02-21-2012
Thanks in advance for any help!

Just got a call from a family in my neighborhood need care overnight 11-6am, this is the catch she has four kids 5y/3yr/2yr/3mos

The extra money would come in handing (saving for a new vehicle and all) but that 3mo "IDK"

I need help with rates? She will be paying cash until the subsidy program starts.

What should I charge hourly...help pls.
daycare 01:44 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Thanks in advance for any help!

Just got a call from a family in my neighborhood need care overnight 11-6am, this is the catch she has four kids 5y/3yr/2yr/3mos

The extra money would come in handing (saving for a new vehicle and all) but that 3mo "IDK"

I need help with rates? She will be paying cash until the subsidy program starts.

What should I charge hourly...help pls.
kind of hard to help you out.. Price depends a lot on your area

Here where I live in the SF bay area, DC cost for an infant is about $1250-1800 monthly

Do you have any rates to go off of?
nannyde 01:53 PM 02-21-2012
Be careful giving them some kind of special deal till the subsidy starts. With four kids ...in my state it would be 500 a week for the four kids. Normally when the parent has THAT kind of bucks to dole out for something easy like a sleeping the whole time deal she does one of two things: Has a relative or friend do it and splits the money OR she tries to get you to keep them on the day shift for free because she needs to sleep.

Find out where the kids have been before and what she plans on doing with them while she sleeps during the day.

She may just need a low cost person between now and when the subsidy starts because whatever deal she had before just blew up and she can't get a free person to do it.

Nobody gives away subsidy night shift money for that many kids to a stranger. There has to be a catch.
wdmmom 02:45 PM 02-21-2012
4 kids, 7 hours a night, no meals/snacks...

Personally...I wouldn't do it.

Bringing them in at 11pm? Who's to say they don't go to bed around 8 or 9pm and think it's time to get up at 11pm?

I'd make certain they go right back to bed.

A 3 month old? How many times does he/she get up a night?

And pick up at 6am?! I don't even open until 7am so I just wouldn't get up an hour earlier to get a few kids out the door only to get ready and let more back in.

Sounds like a really good money making idea but I really think it would be more work than it's worth.
itlw8 03:17 PM 02-21-2012
11 heck no I would not get back to sleep until 12 IF baby went right to sleep. She needs someone to come to their house after kids go to sleep like a college student.
frugalmama4 03:26 PM 02-21-2012
Thanks yall,

Great points, I need to sleep on this one and talk w/da hubby about it. She seemed really nice just need a helping hand, maybe I'll try it for a week or two and see how it go's. I need to pay my credit card bill off anyway

Didn't think about having to get up an hour before I open just to send them off

And yes the 3mo old would be way to much I think...just needed someone to talk me out of it, Thanks so much!
DaycareMama 03:51 PM 02-21-2012
I have my over night kids come at bed time (no earlier then 9pm so I have a break in between). They come have snacks, do their bed time routine and go to bed. I don't open earlier in the morning I have the parents pick them up after I open. The kids are all still sleeping anyway.

The parents dont mind me sleeping when the kids sleep so Im not missing out. I use baby monitors to listen for them. They are older and do sleep thru the night.

I kinda look at it like... I need the extra money, the kids are sleeping (and good kids) so the extra hours before and after don't bother me. I make sure i have space for them incase parents are later then normal. Anything after 8am is extra money.
frugalmama4 05:09 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I have my over night kids come at bed time (no earlier then 9pm so I have a break in between). They come have snacks, do their bed time routine and go to bed. I don't open earlier in the morning I have the parents pick them up after I open. The kids are all still sleeping anyway.

The parents dont mind me sleeping when the kids sleep so Im not missing out. I use baby monitors to listen for them. They are older and do sleep thru the night.

I kinda look at it like... I need the extra money, the kids are sleeping (and good kids) so the extra hours before and after don't bother me. I make sure i have space for them incase parents are later then normal. Anything after 8am is extra money.
Thx for the input, if you don't mine me asking how much do you charge?

My regular rate would have them paying $1760.00 monthly (but I'm thinking b/c they are sleep I will not provide food or any other program like my day time kids. Then to be fair I should not charge the day rate. Thx
saved4always 05:59 PM 02-21-2012
I haven't had my own babies for years and I am really used to getting my sleep. So, I would never even consider taking a tiny infant over night. I am soooooo over being woken up by crying in the middle of the night. No ammount of money is worth losing sleep.
itlw8 06:03 PM 02-21-2012
the state pays more for evening and weekend care not less. so Your daily rate would be less than overnight care.
DaycareMama 06:16 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Thx for the input, if you don't mine me asking how much do you charge?

My regular rate would have them paying $1760.00 monthly (but I'm thinking b/c they are sleep I will not provide food or any other program like my day time kids. Then to be fair I should not charge the day rate. Thx
I don't mind at all

All of my overnight kids are state pay. The state pays the same for daytime or overnight (just depends on amount of hours in care) So the state will pay $150 a week per child. This is a full time rate.

If there are any extra hours the parents want the next day it is $5.00 per hour out of their pocket per child

**I shouldn't call it "state pay" I guess its "county". I have learned every county is very different in what they allow
frugalmama4 06:27 PM 02-21-2012
Thanks,
Mom states she will leave the kids w/me once the state picks up the bill that would be some easy $$$, but I know easy its always da best! I plan to call and talk with her some more.

I think I will do a trial run 2-weeks to see how it works w/my family before committing.

Thanks Have a great night!
Tags:rates, subsidy
Reply Up