Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default Food Program Destroying My Good Eaters

I have two kids that have always been the most fantastic eaters. Prior to the food program, I gave them their main food item (waffle or cereal, meat and bread items) first. After they ate most of that, they got their veggie, then fruit, then milk.

Now, after 6 weeks, neither one will eat anything besides their fruit and milk. It doesn't matter what I make, they won't eat it.

My one drank her milk and ate her applesauce, refusing to eat her waffle after 30 mins. I had her get down from the table after she dropped her fork for the 4th time. She has been asking for yogurt or a banana for the past 45 mins. I keep telling her no, you didn't eat your breakfast, you're not getting a snack, go play toys. She starts playing with something and comes back and asks for food. I'm sure she's hungry.

My other one looked at her breakfast like it was poison and pushed it away, eating nothing. She keeps going to the fridge and pantry, hitting the doors. That's her way of telling me she's hungry.

I know it's against the food program's regulations, but I'm tempted to feed them the way I used to. I put two plates in front of each child, setting one out of their reach and just giving them what I want them to eat first.

My horrible eater ate everything so he could get back to the computer.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

If the way you were doing it was working for you and they were getting all their components in, I would go back to doing it that way. When the food program comes to observe, do it their way then. I just can't imagine doing it in a way that the children WEREN'T eating and were miserable.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
coolconfidentme's Avatar
coolconfidentme coolconfidentme is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,536
Default

I have a few like that, but I serve it anyway. You can always opt to not do the food program & not be reimbursed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:06 AM
blandino's Avatar
blandino blandino is offline
Daycare.com member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 1,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
If the way you were doing it was working for you and they were getting all their components in, I would go back to doing it that way. When the food program comes to observe, do it their way then. I just can't imagine doing it in a way that the children WEREN'T eating and were miserable.
Agreed !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM
My3cents's Avatar
My3cents My3cents is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I have two kids that have always been the most fantastic eaters. Prior to the food program, I gave them their main food item (waffle or cereal, meat and bread items) first. After they ate most of that, they got their veggie, then fruit, then milk.

Now, after 6 weeks, neither one will eat anything besides their fruit and milk. It doesn't matter what I make, they won't eat it.

My one drank her milk and ate her applesauce, refusing to eat her waffle after 30 mins. I had her get down from the table after she dropped her fork for the 4th time. She has been asking for yogurt or a banana for the past 45 mins. I keep telling her no, you didn't eat your breakfast, you're not getting a snack, go play toys. She starts playing with something and comes back and asks for food. I'm sure she's hungry.

My other one looked at her breakfast like it was poison and pushed it away, eating nothing. She keeps going to the fridge and pantry, hitting the doors. That's her way of telling me she's hungry.

I know it's against the food program's regulations, but I'm tempted to feed them the way I used to. I put two plates in front of each child, setting one out of their reach and just giving them what I want them to eat first.

My horrible eater ate everything so he could get back to the computer.
How is what your doing now so different then before?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

What I've always done is give the kids one or two items on their plate at a time. I always gave them their meat/protein first, then their bread/noodle/grain second, then they got their veggie, and fruit and milk last.

These two girls have always been my best eaters. They've always eaten everything, willing to try new foods. Now, one won't try anything new and will only eat limited fruits. She refuses foods that she's always eaten. The second one will only eat fruit and drink her milk.

If I pair fruit with anything, they won't touch it. For example, we have apples with string cheese. They've always eaten string cheese, but won't touch it now. I generally have a protein and fruit or veggie with most snacks. They will only eat crackers or fruit for snacks. Even yogurt is a fight.

Most meats that they've always eaten is a no go.

Do you think it's cheating the food program to give them all of their components, but only one at a time?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
What I've always done is give the kids one or two items on their plate at a time. I always gave them their meat/protein first, then their bread/noodle/grain second, then they got their veggie, and fruit and milk last.

These two girls have always been my best eaters. They've always eaten everything, willing to try new foods. Now, one won't try anything new and will only eat limited fruits. She refuses foods that she's always eaten. The second one will only eat fruit and drink her milk.

If I pair fruit with anything, they won't touch it. For example, we have apples with string cheese. They've always eaten string cheese, but won't touch it now. I generally have a protein and fruit or veggie with most snacks. They will only eat crackers or fruit for snacks. Even yogurt is a fight.

Most meats that they've always eaten is a no go.

Do you think it's cheating the food program to give them all of their components, but only one at a time?
Nope!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
Do you think it's cheating the food program to give them all of their components, but only one at a time?
I only have to have the required components AVAILABLE but not necessarily on their plates. I can serve the components in any order I choose to.

I think that would be the best way for you to do it..it worked for you before so why change it up now...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I only have to have the required components AVAILABLE but not necessarily on their plates. I can serve the components in any order I choose to.

I think that would be the best way for you to do it..it worked for you before so why change it up now...
I agree. I usually serve the veggies first because my group wouldn't eat them otherwise... I don't see how this is "wrong?" I'm usually still preparing the other components so its not as if I'm refusing anyone food

Now, if the food program people were here observing I would tell Tommy "it's almost finished cooking!" Rather than "not until you eat a green bean!"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

I would check with your local office. Here, we have to have all the components on the table or on their plates. They would not allow me to only serve one component at a time. You could do it family style though and help them serve certain components first - since they would have access to everything...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

I'm going back to my old way then. It's probably going to be a fight because they've gotten used to eating only fruit.

All of the components will be available, on the table, just not on their individual plates.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 AM
MissAnn's Avatar
MissAnn MissAnn is offline
Preschool Teacher
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I'm going back to my old way then. It's probably going to be a fight because they've gotten used to eating only fruit.

All of the components will be available, on the table, just not on their individual plates.
I'd be thrilled that they are eating fruit. I'd love to quit serving bread altogether. It's strange that meat is not a breakfast component.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnn View Post
I'd be thrilled that they are eating fruit. I'd love to quit serving bread altogether. It's strange that meat is not a breakfast component.
I completely agree with the bread and meat thoughts!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
JoseyJo's Avatar
JoseyJo JoseyJo is offline
Group DCP in Kansas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 941
Default

You could call your food program and ask specifically- but here in KS they "prefer" that we eat family style or give all components at the same time. But they don't require it. As long as all food groups are "available"- they define this as having enough for seconds of everything for every child.

Right now with our current group we serve a smallish serving of each component as "firsts". They must try (even a tiny bite) of each component to get seconds of any food. They can get thirds if they eat everything on their plate. There is no pressure to eat any food though- you can eat or not eat what you want. When you are done you can be excused, even if you didn't eat anything, but you have to wait for the next meal for more food. We have some who go hungry a couple of times a month because they don't like the food, and we have one almost 4yo dcb who never gets seconds because he won't eat any fruit or vegetable. I have specifically talked to our food program about him and they said the way we do it is good, no seconds on meat/grain if you don't eat any fruits/veges.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

nothing says you can not sit everyone at the table before you serve all the food. serve the meat... then go get the veggies and start serving them as they eat. then slowly serve the fruit. They do need to learn they can eat more than one food at a time but so what if you are slow serving.

besides you rep is not there everyday. I do not think in the regs it says all food has to be on the plate before the child starts eating.
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post

If I pair fruit with anything, they won't touch it. For example, we have apples with string cheese. They've always eaten string cheese, but won't touch it now. I generally have a protein and fruit or veggie with most snacks. They will only eat crackers or fruit for snacks. Even yogurt is a fight.

?
serve two veggies instead of a fruit for now until they start eating again plus they could just be going through a stage and eating less. so give the minimum fruit so they can eat other food.
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnn View Post
I'd be thrilled that they are eating fruit. I'd love to quit serving bread altogether. It's strange that meat is not a breakfast component.
I know! I hate that you have to serve a bread/grain for breakfast, it makes no sense to me. I understand that you need servings of grains, but to make it a requirement for breakfast..... They should make it where you can choose certain components, like bread, meat, or eggs, for example, and a fruit or veggie.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I'm going back to my old way then. It's probably going to be a fight because they've gotten used to eating only fruit.

All of the components will be available, on the table, just not on their individual plates.
Here we can have it either available on the table (family style) or we can make their plates for them. It counts either way.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
serve two veggies instead of a fruit for now until they start eating again plus they could just be going through a stage and eating less. so give the minimum fruit so they can eat other food.
This is what I would suggest. Fruit just needs to disappear for a little while. Nothing wrong with vegies for breakfast.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM
My3cents's Avatar
My3cents My3cents is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
I completely agree with the bread and meat thoughts!
agree no place to put eggs. I think too much bread is required also
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:18 AM
My3cents's Avatar
My3cents My3cents is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,842
Default

Most of the time I serve everything at once in divided plates. They pick and choose what they want to eat. I don't give more if they don't eat everything first usually, unless I know a child doesn't like something. It depends. I don't have fussy eaters. They eat it all for the most part and want more.

I did serve salad first the other day while I made everything else up to get them going. They thought that was fun, because it normally all comes out at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
agree no place to put eggs. I think too much bread is required also
Me, too! It grosses me out the amount of grain they think you need.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,219
Default

I think if it works for you, go ahead. But isn't it a lot more work?

I have really good eaters and once in awhile my super eater (mom is into whole and fresh food, so she's used to it) really doesn't care for a food.....eats everything except one food and wants more of something and I do let her.

I wouldn't generally give out more of say fruit or grains if that's what they only want either. I might give out a bit more protein.

I think do what works for you as long as they are being offered all the components at some point!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:26 PM
MrsSteinel'sHouse's Avatar
MrsSteinel'sHouse MrsSteinel'sHouse is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,481
Default

grain vs bread. I think if you start thinking grain instead of bread it doesn't seem like as much. Oats, rice, barley etc.
If you serve am snack, lunch, dinner you don't have to have a grain at breakfast. You could do eggs and a fruit of vegie.
I personally serve the vegie first if everything isn't ready. They always seem to eat the meat and grain.. it is the vegie that I need to get in
I generally serve it all together. I limit 2nds depending on the child and what they are eating.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 AM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse View Post
grain vs bread. I think if you start thinking grain instead of bread it doesn't seem like as much. Oats, rice, barley etc.
If you serve am snack, lunch, dinner you don't have to have a grain at breakfast. You could do eggs and a fruit of vegie.
I personally serve the vegie first if everything isn't ready. They always seem to eat the meat and grain.. it is the vegie that I need to get in
I generally serve it all together. I limit 2nds depending on the child and what they are eating.
Here we have to serve a grain, fruit or veggie, and milk for breakfast in order to be reimbursed, even if we serve serve the other meals.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Go right ahead and serve foods in "courses". My sponsor was here 4 days ago, and we discussed this very thing, along with kids whose parents don't want them to have milk. I was told to put the milk on the table with an empty glass, and I can honestly say that I offered it. She said to go ahead and serve the rice or almond milk to the child after he "refused" the dairy. I mentioned that a toddler won't eat meat unless it's served first-if there is ANYTHING else besides the meat dish, the meat doesn't get touched. The foods must be available. You can leave them on the counter and serve in courses, as long as all gets served.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I serve in course and I am on the food program. I even asked my rep about it.

I have a counter top right next to the eating area where I line up all of the food. I have all of the drinks poured and the food set up. When the kids have all sat I go around with one food item at a time, which is usually my veggie first and place it on their plate. My rule is you have to have at least one bite before you get to decide that you don't like it.

If you didn't like it, then you sit and wait for those that did to eat it before I will serve the next thing. Once gone, I serve the protein and repeat. I do this for each meal component.

THe drink is always served last no matter what. As soon as you finish your food you can have your drink.....

I have passed everyone of my inspections like this....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

I started placing all of the food on the counter next to the table and giving the main component I want eaten first on their plate. Then I give the veggies and the fruit last.

I also started placing on the food on the plate and saying you must eat your meat first.

Both options have worked well and my two girls have started eating again. My youngest actually picked up her plate and licked it clean today after she got her peaches.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food program, serving issues

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food Program & Standard Meal Deductions TSDaycare Daycare and Taxes 22 08-26-2013 04:33 AM
Are You On The Food Reimbursement Program? coolconfidentme Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-11-2013 11:51 AM
Child Food Program MRS.L Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 01-11-2013 08:58 AM
Food Program Question Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 12-21-2012 09:52 AM
Food Program Funny laundryduchess@yahoo.com Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 10-12-2010 03:57 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming