Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Finger Nail painting?
lovemylife 12:56 PM 09-06-2013
My daughter brought a friend home from school today and they sat at the table painting their nails. DCB wanted his nails painted too. I of course said no. His older sister is always painting his nails and comes here 80% of the time with painted finger nails and toe nails. DCM comes for pick up and DCB starts crying that I didn't allow him to get his nails painted. She understand why I didn't but said I could next time or any other time.

Do you guys paint DCK nails? With parents permission of course! Just a general wondering!
Play Care 01:03 PM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
My daughter brought a friend home from school today and they sat at the table painting their nails. DCB wanted his nails painted too. I of course said no. His older sister is always painting his nails and comes here 80% of the time with painted finger nails and toe nails. DCM comes for pick up and DCB starts crying that I didn't allow him to get his nails painted. She understand why I didn't but said I could next time or any other time.

Do you guys paint DCK nails? With parents permission of course! Just a general wondering!
No, I don't. I know some parents believe any type of "make up" including nail polish is not appropriate for young kids. I know many more Fathers who believe its inappropriate for their sons That's something they can do at home if they want.
On a side note, my own kids are older and sometimes do things that the dck' can't (going on the computer for example or leaving my property for bike riding) when I have dck's ask to do it too I just remind them that this is my kids home so sometimes they get to do certain things. Just as the dck's get to do certain things in their home.
JoseyJo 01:14 PM 09-06-2013
I would not. I don't mind it at all but that isn't something we do here w/ the dcks.

I don't allow my children to do things that the dcks cant while the dcks can see. My children are older (highschool) so if they want to do stuff I don't allow for the daycare they go out of the daycare area to do it- Like drink soda, eat chips, watch TV, wrestle, etc etc
lovemylife 01:22 PM 09-06-2013
I am a huge advocate of no make up, even pretend make up kits. I myself do not wear make up unless it is a special occasion like a wedding. But I don't have a problem with fingernail polish. My husband would "kill" me if I painted our sons nails For the most part I don't allow my children to do stuff that daycare kids aren't allowed to do but I made an exception today. Still think its funny!
itlw8 02:15 PM 09-06-2013
I do not even do my dgd without daddys permission. And he is my ds. but if he says yes little brother gets it also toes only for both of them.
Starburst 02:50 PM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
No, I don't. I know some parents believe any type of "make up" including nail polish is not appropriate for young kids. I know many more Fathers who believe its inappropriate for their sons That's something they can do at home if they want.
When I was in cosmetology (I was a senior in HS at the time) there was a mom who said that both her and her 4 year old daughter getting her nails painted for the first time but that before that her mom (4YO's grandma) always told her that nail polish was against their religion? She asked her the preacher and I guess he said no, as long as it was clear or a light peach/pink color that was close to their nail color? It was really odd.

But personally when it comes to DCKs and nail polish, I wouldn't. Unless, it was a parents night out and I had older kids (mostly girls) and let the parent's know ahead of time (and make them sign a permission slip). My main issue would be because the nail polish smell could cause breathing issues with certain children, and that most younger children don't have the patience for nail polish to dry before touching stuff.

But I remember we used to always dress my little brother up as a girl and call him "Marshina" (around Halloween we dressed him up like a witch and called "Witchy Boo"). My mom once got mad that my cousin (who was a swimmer) told my brother that if he painted his nails green he would swim faster (and of course he did paint them).
Heidi 03:26 PM 09-06-2013
I've had a few little boys come with nails painted over the years, usually a nice manly color like blue or purple. Of course, I lived in Madison, WI for most of that time.

I would do it, although I'd call or text mom or dad for permission first. One of my families would be fine with it (toddler recently came with just his toes painted blue), but the other family would def. not be ok with their son getting his nails painted.
Play Care 03:26 PM 09-06-2013
Honestly, I don't see the issue with letting your own older non dc aged children do things dck's are not allowed to, so long as they are not bragging or boasting about it. And I see nothing wrong with telling a dck "if your mom and dad want you to have candy/paint nails/ use the computer etc etc etc then they will let you." It was different when my kids were younger and "in" day care, then they followed the same rules. But really, if they come in and grab a piece of candy from a goodie bag and head out with it and a dck happens to see them? I don't feel bad or guilly or see it as something I need to make "fair" at all.
Maria2013 05:13 PM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:

I do, but I keep that activity for "girls only" days
MotherNature 04:53 PM 09-07-2013
If parents are ok with it, yes, for any sex. To me, it's not a gendered activity. Don't get me started on the colour coding of kids' stuff. The only kid that ever wanted their nails painted was a little 3 year old boy & the mom loved when I did them so she could get some alone time. He'd always pester her to paint them.
Starburst 07:50 AM 09-08-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
If parents are ok with it, yes, for any sex. To me, it's not a gendered activity. Don't get me started on the colour coding of kids' stuff. The only kid that ever wanted their nails painted was a little 3 year old boy & the mom loved when I did them so she could get some alone time. He'd always pester her to paint them.
I don't think nail painting for boys is as taboo as it used to be. In high school I knew lots of guys that panted their nails (though they were rockers and it was mostly black nail polish).
Lyss 08:39 AM 09-08-2013
I don't do it because I hate the smell I wouldn't care if it was my DS

I have one set of parents that I know would freak out (dad gets miffed if DCB plays dress up with the girls), but the rest wouldn't care but I have progressive parents.

I know plenty of people that would have an issue with it on a young boy because of religious and social beliefs (more about what lifestyle it "could lead to") which is unfortunate IMO
Tags:2013, finger nail painting, manicure, painting
Reply Up