Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice ASAP Please!
DaycareMom 08:48 AM 12-16-2013
I just posted about DCB4 telling me that he got medicine this morning from DCD.

I texted DCM over an hour ago asking if he was medicated. She still has not responded.

In my contract, I don't really have anything about medicating (although now I will be adding that).

I think it's just a cold and perhaps that she gave him meds to help with his runny nose.

What would you do in this situation? I know DCB can make up stories sometimes so I don't want to indulge in what he says. I can't get in touch with DCM ...

Should I try dad or just let it be?
What would you do if they say they did medicate him?
What would you do?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Heidi 08:51 AM 12-16-2013
If you haven't addressed it before, you really can't say much other than "hey, next time, tell me if you give dcb medicine. If he has a reaction and I needed to call an ambulance, I'd need to know what you gave him"

Then, add it to your policy manual for the new year.
DaycareMom 08:52 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
If you haven't addressed it before, you really can't say much other than "hey, next time, tell me if you give dcb medicine. If he has a reaction and I needed to call an ambulance, I'd need to know what you gave him"

Then, add it to your policy manual for the new year.
I agree. I guess I just feel like if he was sick enough to medicate, then he is too sick to come to DC - ykwim?
Great Beginnings 08:57 AM 12-16-2013
If you feel it's just a cold and they were trying to help with his runny nose then I would let it go. Especially if he's acting fine. Some providers exclude for just a runny nose but between common colds, allergies, and teething you'd never have some kids in care lol!

If he's not acting right then I would call dad or call mom at work if she doesn't respond to the text and ask for pickup.
Soccermom 09:13 AM 12-16-2013
I would just mention it at pick up.

" DCB mentioned that he was given some medicine this morning. I always like to know when my DCKS have had medicine administered to them prior to arriving in case of an emergency. Let me just grab a paper so you can write down the name of the meds for me. "
Crazy8 09:15 AM 12-16-2013
I would just ask at pick up and just mention she needs to let you know in case he has a reaction, etc.

I just gave my own DS cough medicine before going to school today. I don't feel his little cough was enough for him to not go but I wanted to make him a little more comfortable. I don't see the harm in them using the cold medicine, but you just need the heads up and obviously follow your sickness policy and send home if he really isn't feeling well.
hope 09:18 AM 12-16-2013
If he seems fine then I would talk with mom at pick up. Let her know what dcm said and tell her that if she is medicating for the symptoms of a cold she is to inform you. Also warn her that if dcm magically becomes I'll with in the next few days you will be considering terming.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:32 AM 12-16-2013
I am the strange one here- I understand that "little bit of meds makes them feel better". If my throat is a bit sore, I take something so I don't get worse. If my sinuses are starting to get gunky I use a spray. Am I 'sick', no but I will feel better with something.
If dad thinks he is starting to get a cold and wants to give him something to head it off, I understand. But yes, you should know what in case of a reaction.
daycarediva 09:56 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I am the strange one here- I understand that "little bit of meds makes them feel better". If my throat is a bit sore, I take something so I don't get worse. If my sinuses are starting to get gunky I use a spray. Am I 'sick', no but I will feel better with something.
If dad thinks he is starting to get a cold and wants to give him something to head it off, I understand. But yes, you should know what in case of a reaction.
I agree.

My concerns would be dope and drop- just to mask a fever.

I would ask at pick up, and then let them know that in the future, they need to let you know at drop off so that you can document it.
DaycareMom 10:24 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Yea I agree and if they would have been up front, I wouldn't have had an issue. I am really mad now because I texted DCM 3 hours ago and still no response. I even sent her an additional text saying "Not sure if you got my text from earlier ..."
It makes me feel like she is guilty and avoiding me.
Grrrrr
AnneCordelia 10:48 AM 12-16-2013
Personally I don't want any child on meds here. Cough meds aren't approved for use for under 6yo, which is my group, so I don't want to be liable for a reaction by an unapproved drug. Everything else might make the child more comfortable, but I need to see real-time symptoms of illness in order to calculate how ill is too ill for daycare. Symptoms masked by meds (cough, runny nose, fever) prevent me from keeping the rest of my group healthy.
daycarediva 10:48 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
Yea I agree and if they would have been up front, I wouldn't have had an issue. I am really mad now because I texted DCM 3 hours ago and still no response. I even sent her an additional text saying "Not sure if you got my text from earlier ..."
It makes me feel like she is guilty and avoiding me.
Grrrrr
This would be a bigger issues to me than the medication. Does she have her phone available during the day? Does she typically text you right back?
DaycareMom 11:02 AM 12-16-2013
OK I just received phone call from DCM. She was super apologetic about not being near her phone. She said that they gave him mucinex for the runny nose.
She said not to worry, he didn't have a fever (no fever here today either) or any other symptoms.
I told her to next time just let me know up front so we are all on the same page. She said DCD was supposed to tell me lol ...
Anyway he has been acting fine and I really do believe that he only has a cold.
That medication policy will be going in my handbook ASAP!

Thank you all for your help!
Tags:communication, dope and drop
Reply Up