Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Read Through A Letter For Me?
KSDC 12:19 PM 01-06-2015
So, if you read my post this morning, you know that I had a DCD yell at me this morning for not breaking my potty training policies for him. I just spent the past 30 minutes tweaking Nannyde's potty training letter to send out to all my famlies. My previous potty training policy was this short blurb:
If your child is old enough to potty train, I will help you potty train them while they are in my care. I do expect you to continue the training once you pick up your child in the evening.
Toilet training will begin in regular diapers or pull-ups and will continue to be used until the child can be accident free for two weeks. Only then will the child be transitioned to underwear. Soiled underwear will not be washed at the daycare. It will be bagged and sent home.
So, along with sending home a more detailed letter on potty training to all my families, I want to send a separate letter home addressing the disrespectful attitude. Can any of you take a look at this and give me some feedback? I want to be sure to let them know that I will not allow it to happen again. But, I also want to sound professional and not intimidated.

Dear DCD and DCM,

I am quite upset by the situation that occurred this morning. I understand your frustration with potty training. I have trained many children during the past 19 years including my own, foster children, and helping parents like you to train your children. I am here to assist in the potty training. I am sending home a couple of pages that, I hope, will give you a better understanding of what I can and cannot do in a group care setting.

I feel that I need to make it clear to you that I am not your employee or teenage babysitter. I am a Childcare Professional. I provide a set of services that are spelled out in my handbook. You are contracted with me for the services that I provide. If you are unhappy with those services, you can come to me and speak to me in a reasonable way to see if I can make any adjustments to your sons’ care. Or, you can always find alternate daycare for your children.

I will not allow anyone to enter my daycare home and raise their voice to me in front of the children that I am caring for. It is disrespectful to me and it is not something that I want the children that I love and care for to hear.

Honestly, if you had been a new family in my care, I would have terminated our contract today. But, I have cared for your children for three year and I value them and you in my daycare. So, I am giving you a second chance.

In the future, I expect that all communications between us will be kept to a civil tone. If you raise your voice to me again, I will terminate care immediately.

If you have any questions about this, please let me know.
Sincerely,
KSDC
TheGoodLife 12:24 PM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by KSDC:
So, if you read my post this morning, you know that I had a DCD yell at me this morning for not breaking my potty training policies for him. I just spent the past 30 minutes tweaking Nannyde's potty training letter to send out to all my famlies. My previous potty training policy was this short blurb:
If your child is old enough to potty train, I will help you potty train them while they are in my care. I do expect you to continue the training once you pick up your child in the evening.
Toilet training will begin in regular diapers or pull-ups and will continue to be used until the child can be accident free AT DAYCARE for two weeks. Only then will the child be transitioned to underwear. Soiled underwear will not be washed at the daycare. It will be bagged and sent home.
So, along with sending home a more detailed letter on potty training to all my families, I want to send a separate letter home addressing the disrespectful attitude. Can any of you take a look at this and give me some feedback? I want to be sure to let them know that I will not allow it to happen again. But, I also want to sound professional and not intimidated.

Dear DCD and DCM,

I am quite upset by the situation that occurred this morning. I understand your frustration with potty training. I have trained many children during the past 19 years including my own, foster children, and helping parents like you to train your children. I am here to assist in the potty training. I am sending home a couple of pages that, I hope, will give you a better understanding of what I can and cannot do in a group care setting.

I feel that I need to make it clear to you that I am not your employee or teenage babysitter. I am a Childcare Professional. I provide a set of services that are spelled out in my handbook. You are contracted with me for the services that I provide. If you are unhappy with those services, you can come to me and speak to me in a reasonable way to see if I can make any adjustments to your sons’ care. Or, you can always find alternate daycare for your children.

I will not allow anyone to enter my daycare home and raise their voice to me in front of the children that I am caring for. It is disrespectful to me and it is not something that I want the children that I love and care for to hear.

Honestly, if you had been a new family in my care, I would have terminated our contract today. But, I have cared for your children for three yearS and I value them and you in my daycare. So, I am giving you a second chance.

In the future, I expect that all communications between us will be kept to a civil tone. If you raise your voice to me again, I will terminate care immediately.

If you have any questions about this, please let me know.
Sincerely,
KSDC
I'm glad you are sending the we one letter- they need to hear exactly that!! I added a couple things to your letters- but they sound great Good luck, I hope you get a sincere apology and more respect in the future.
TheGoodLife 12:26 PM 01-06-2015
It didn't really show what I added: I put in all caps "at daycare" after the part of staying dry for two weeks (so they can't just say they're dry at home those two weeks) and an "s" at the end of your second letter when you wrote "three year".
nothingwithoutjoy 02:01 PM 01-06-2015
Good for you. I had a parent yell at me one time, and I was SO shocked and upset, I didn't know how to respond. I wish I'd sent a follow-up letter.
daycare 02:09 PM 01-06-2015
Only person that ever yelled at me my husband kicked them out...lol It was about 10 year ago that happened, still feels like yesterday to me.

Good for you for standing up for yourself. I normally say don't get your emotions involved in your business/letters, but in this case I feel it is 100% warranted.

I like what you wrote and am jealous that I don't know how to stand up to people like that.
Second Home 02:23 PM 01-06-2015
It sounds good to me .
Unregistered 11:09 AM 05-06-2015
We have a zero tolerance of abuse contract also at our daycare. It states that at anytime I can terminate care if you have done something(yelled at a staff or myself) or have not done something (refused to bring diapers, refused to sign in your child co-operate with the parent handbook) that you can be terminated immediately.

I had a parent threaten to kill me because we increased our fees by 15.00 I charged him with uttering death threats and went to court. I won. He got a fine, a no contact order with myself and had to go to anger management for a year.
Tags:letter samples, nannyde, potty training issues
Reply Up