Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-29-2016, 08:39 AM
momneedscoffee's Avatar
momneedscoffee momneedscoffee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 96
Default Keeping Your House Clean?

How do you guys keep up with cleaning your house? I feel like I am thrown to the wolves every day. I really don't like spending what little free time I have cleaning and I only have 5 kids total. Laundry, dishes, dust, dirty floors... it never ends and piles up fast!! Words of wisdom, please
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 AM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

I clean as I go, all day long. If I am helping a child in the bathroom, I am also wiping the counter down with a Clorox wipe. If kids are eating lunch, I am cleaning the kitchen, washing dishes, sweeping the floor, etc. I do as much as I can during the day while the kids are going about their normal routine.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss A View Post
I clean as I go, all day long. If I am helping a child in the bathroom, I am also wiping the counter down with a Clorox wipe. If kids are eating lunch, I am cleaning the kitchen, washing dishes, sweeping the floor, etc. I do as much as I can during the day while the kids are going about their normal routine.
I do the same. Clean as I go.

I do not want to spend any more time at work than I need to so the cleaning is done as needed when needed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:07 AM
BabyMonkeys's Avatar
BabyMonkeys BabyMonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 371
Default

I can totally relate! I have 3 toddlers and I feel like all I do all day every day is pick up after them, and then actually have to clean when they are gone. I burned out fast with that, so I had to come up with a routine that works for me.

At night before I go to bed I start the dishwasher. When I wake up I unload it and throw a load of laundry in. I attempt to load the dishwasher as I go, but with 3 toddlers... I frequently fail. There are days they will eat nicely and other days that I have to take everyone's fork away because they want to scratch the walls, or comb their hair, or even better comb their friends hair.

At nap time I will throw the clothes in the dryer, and load the dishwasher. There are a million tasks I could do at this point, but I NEED that break. At some point in the afternoon I will bring the clothes in and everyone will "help" me fold them.

My boys LOVE the swiffer. I bought three of them and made them "toddler sized" by not using all of the rods for the handle. I put a dry cloth on them and they clean the floor all day. I'm always shocked at the amount of dirt they are able to pick up! I didn't realize my floors were that dirty! At the end of the night I wet Swiffer. It only takes a few minutes. I actually only scrub the floor on the weekends, other than any messes of course. I think cleaning as you go is the number one thing.

I don't know how old your dcks are, but they might like to help. Give them a wipe and tell them to go clean something.

With this routine I don't really have to do too much at night. I clean the kitchen while I'm making dinner every night. On the weekends I scrub the bathrooms and floors.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,767
Default

This is by far my biggest pet peeve about working at home! I honestly have no idea because I hate cleaning. My older kids help and I do clean as I go but it is a full time thing.

I wish I could justify getting a professional cleaner to help me. The three meals and 2 snacks a day are killing me!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:45 AM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default

I use an app called home routines. I make sure to clean after every meal. This app is based on FlyLady, which is a system that focuses on 15 minutes of deep cleaning a day. I also have a rotating chore list that I go through (ex: Monday is dusting, Tuesday is cleaning bathroom)

I also do a load of laundry a day, because if I don't I get horribly behind and I spend my entire weekend washing and folding laundry.

Without this system I am lost, I have adhd and nothing gets done without a list or some sort of alarm. As it is I don't mop as much as I should but at least I don't allow shoes on in the house haha.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:54 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I wish I could justify getting a professional cleaner to help me. The three meals and 2 snacks a day are killing me!
We have one come in twice a month to do the deep cleaning stuff that I tend to overlook in the eternal march of picking up, vacuuming, and cleaning.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I do laundry every day. Whatever was dirty that day gets washed in one load. I don't separate (unless it is something I know will cause a problem) I put the clothes in the washer every morning after I get up and run it. Later on in the day or early evening I transfer everything from washer to dryer. Run a load to dry. Before bed I fold and put away the dry load.

Dust one or two rooms a day. I vacume one level a night alternating. I have a two story home.

Bathrooms I swish the toilet clean each afternoon and wipe down the counters and mirror quickly.

I empty all trash each afternoon and put in the garage.

Dishes I wash as I use or finish up. On particularly hectic days I will put an inch or two of water in the sink and soak the dirties until I am gettting lunch or dinner ready.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-29-2016, 01:37 PM
momneedscoffee's Avatar
momneedscoffee momneedscoffee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NillaWafers View Post
I use an app called home routines. I make sure to clean after every meal. This app is based on FlyLady, which is a system that focuses on 15 minutes of deep cleaning a day. I also have a rotating chore list that I go through (ex: Monday is dusting, Tuesday is cleaning bathroom)

I also do a load of laundry a day, because if I don't I get horribly behind and I spend my entire weekend washing and folding laundry.

Without this system I am lost, I have adhd and nothing gets done without a list or some sort of alarm. As it is I don't mop as much as I should but at least I don't allow shoes on in the house haha.
I might have to try that! My kids are so messy! My biological ones are the worst! And my husband isn't much better most of the time haha. It's like while I am cleaning one thing, a mess is being made elsewhere. And I am the same with laundry. Lately I have had my spare pack n play FULL of clean laundry waiting to be put away, ugh. Mopping is another thing I dislike haha I have hardwood and some times wish it was carpet so I could just vacuum and be done #
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-29-2016, 01:40 PM
momneedscoffee's Avatar
momneedscoffee momneedscoffee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
This is by far my biggest pet peeve about working at home! I honestly have no idea because I hate cleaning. My older kids help and I do clean as I go but it is a full time thing.

I wish I could justify getting a professional cleaner to help me. The three meals and 2 snacks a day are killing me!
I've been considering that! Even once a month to do deep cleaning. I don't mind cleaning when I have an empty house, but kids make it so hard to accomplish anything!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-29-2016, 01:41 PM
BabyMonkeys's Avatar
BabyMonkeys BabyMonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedscoffee View Post
Lately I have had my spare pack n play FULL of clean laundry waiting to be put away, ugh.
I don't feel so bad now. I thought I was the only one that turned a pnp into a huge clean clothes hamper.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,495
Default

I need to get rid of more stuff. I'm sick of constantly finding a trail of things kids seem to just drop on their way through. And it's even the older kids??? If I have less stuff, it'll be less stuff to clean right?
I'm really bad at windows and woodwork because they're such tedious areas to clean. And I'm so lazy.
Dishes usually get done at each meal, sweeping too. Vacuum every a.m. right before kids come. Dusting gets done by the kids with dusters. Hey they think it's fun. Garbage also gets taken out every a.m. I have more energy before my day starts than evenings.
Deep cleaning? Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-01-2016, 03:16 AM
Pepperth's Avatar
Pepperth Pepperth is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelw2babies View Post
I don't feel so bad now. I thought I was the only one that turned a pnp into a huge clean clothes hamper.
I've done that too. Laundry is my biggest weakness. I'm so glad you guys are making me feel normal.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 AM
momneedscoffee's Avatar
momneedscoffee momneedscoffee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
I need to get rid of more stuff. I'm sick of constantly finding a trail of things kids seem to just drop on their way through. And it's even the older kids??? If I have less stuff, it'll be less stuff to clean right?
I'm really bad at windows and woodwork because they're such tedious areas to clean. And I'm so lazy.
Dishes usually get done at each meal, sweeping too. Vacuum every a.m. right before kids come. Dusting gets done by the kids with dusters. Hey they think it's fun. Garbage also gets taken out every a.m. I have more energy before my day starts than evenings.
Deep cleaning? Haha.
Yes! I just put away more than half the toys and there is still stuff everywhere!! I wish they would just keep them in the playroom. Or actually play with them, not just drag them around
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-01-2016, 05:43 AM
momneedscoffee's Avatar
momneedscoffee momneedscoffee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperth View Post
I've done that too. Laundry is my biggest weakness. I'm so glad you guys are making me feel normal.
HahahaI'm Glad It's not just me!!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,594
Default

I have a morning routine that includes washing/folding 2 loads of laundry, vacuuming, mopping, unloading the dishwasher, preparing breakfast and taking out trash before opening. 1.5 hours, tops, while having morning coffee/listening to the news.

(*Super easy/fast with machine washable O-Cedar mop heads and shark.)

During nap, I put laundry away and make dinner. I also prepare the next days lunch in advance. On Tuesdays and Fridays I also change/wash bed sheets.

My family and I eat as soon as the DCK's leave, then we load/run dishwasher before my DH and I head out for our evening walk. I am then "off duty" until 5:30 am, again.

The daycare/bathroom cleaning takes place throughout the day and as needed.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-01-2016, 11:30 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

I feel like I'm not keeping my head above water lately. It's the little clutter that's eating me alive. If I have enough time to thoroughly clean my house (not just the part used by clients) then I definitely don't have time to deal with the little clutter piles. I'll be watching this thread. Wish I had it more together...it was easier when my teenager lived in the home. Now I only have 1 child here (2.5yo) and 11 clients each day.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-01-2016, 12:26 PM
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi TwinKristi is offline
Family Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,389
Default

Ugh- I used to feel like I had a grip on this but lately it's been a race to catch up. I've accumulated so much stuff and REALLY need to start a toy rotation in both the living room and play room. Having a 4yr old as well makes it so hard. He wants me attention all night long and it's like working 24hrs a day sometimes. He rarely plays in the playroom now so j use it as a daycare catch all at the end of the day/week.
But cleaning as I go works best. But I have to catch up to do that
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-01-2016, 12:42 PM
momneedscoffee's Avatar
momneedscoffee momneedscoffee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Ugh- I used to feel like I had a grip on this but lately it's been a race to catch up. I've accumulated so much stuff and REALLY need to start a toy rotation in both the living room and play room. Having a 4yr old as well makes it so hard. He wants me attention all night long and it's like working 24hrs a day sometimes. He rarely plays in the playroom now so j use it as a daycare catch all at the end of the day/week.
But cleaning as I go works best. But I have to catch up to do that
Yes. I feel you. My spare room/laundry room/office is usually shoved full of random stuff and laundry to help the rest of the house seem presentable haha. That room stays shut and locked!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

dust? What?!

My house could use a serious dusting, I only do it when I notice and by then its pretty bad... But dcps aren't in my main living area. I clean constantly in the dc area. I throw a load of laundry first thing every morning, I switch it right before nap and fold while dinner cooks or after kids go to bed, though sometimes I forget this step and watch TV and drink wine instead.

I clean my bathroom while my kids take baths. I can chat with them and its a pretty quick clean since I do it 2-3 times a week. I vacuum the living room in the morning if my oldest dd won't wake up

Its super challenging keeping up
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
I vacuum the living room in the morning if my oldest dd won't wake up
I hear you.

My 6:30am vacuuming is part of my motivational "go to work, earn a paycheck and get your own apartment or move back to the dorm" plan.

School bus leaves at 6:20, here.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I find it impossible to keep up. I feel like I am ALWAYS cleaning. I have recently had the kids start helping with little things. Say dusting. They love helping, they ask me for jobs. I have a jar and I give them my spare change when they do jobs. We are putting it in a jar and saving up to do something fun with it. They love it when I don't have any change so I "buy" some with a bill to pull out to pay them. The are loving watching it add up to bills. I don't know what we will do. Maybe go to McDonalds or something. I hope they take pride in earning it!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

I Clean as I go - basically throughout the day. Both personal and child care space.

I have two dedicated child care rooms. The child care kids don't use my personal living area at all. We pick up before we go outside. We stay outside till 5:00 during nice weather. During colder months everything is picked up by 5:00 and table toys come out. I close the door and forget about it at the end of the day.

I've never in my life spent a whole day cleaning (like every Saturday is cleaning day). It's not in my DNA!

2-3 times each week before the kids come I clean the child care bathroom more thoroughly.

I'd say laundry is the hardest thing to keep up on.

I vacuum child room each morning before they come. Yep, still have carpet.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-22-2016, 07:57 AM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Ha! Clean? I'm also a germaphobe so everything to me always seems like it's crawling with germs. I'm honestly getting burned out with all the cleaning!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Right now my kitchen is in there calling out "just rent a bulldozer".
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Lovisa's Avatar
Lovisa Lovisa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 215
Default

I try to keep things picked up during the day. I do dishes while kiddos eat lunch. I try to do at least one load of laundry per day. As soon as the last day care kid leaves, I clean the playroom, vacuum the house, and do any spot mopping I need to. The weekends are usually when I do more of a deep cleaning (dusting, thorough mopping, etc).
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-22-2016, 08:41 AM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
Right now my kitchen is in there calling out "just rent a bulldozer".
LOL! My kitchen is yelling that too! I have no idea how it got like that
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-22-2016, 11:27 AM
MrsSteinel'sHouse's Avatar
MrsSteinel'sHouse MrsSteinel'sHouse is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,481
Default

I have dedicated childcare room/ breakfast nook. Bathroom and kitchen are attached to that area. My personnal space is kid free. I get up at least an hour before 1st kid (6:15) So I am up by 5:15 at the latest. I vacuum in the mornings (childcare room) and set up for the day. Appropriate highchairs out, pnp's etc. My dinningroom does have pnp for infant naps that get put away when infants are done for the week. I keep out limited toys and rotate them- especially right now while I have 2 that are 11 mo and can dump like crazy. I am looking forward to we are outside from 3:30- pickup days
So my daycare part stays fairly cleaned picked up. I do at least one load of laundry a day. I do use my Saturday (or thursday evening) to clean my side of the house. I also clean my childcare carpets on Friday evening once a month so they will be dry by Monday.
I will admit between Christmas and now life has been a little bit choatic. I have laundry baskets of clean clothes in my bedroom to be put away. Christmas is all in my dd's bedroom (she moved out this past fall) I need a couple weekends home to get things done. But, I did have friends over last Saturday and the house was "fairly clean"- dusted, vaccumed, clean bathroom, etc which is all I strive for.

I need time to work on "daycare" stuff. Organizing, planning activities etc.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 PM
emili30's Avatar
emili30 emili30 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2
Cool My home is always neat and tidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedscoffee View Post
How do you guys keep up with cleaning your house? I feel like I am thrown to the wolves every day. I really don't like spending what little free time I have cleaning and I only have 5 kids total. Laundry, dishes, dust, dirty floors... it never ends and piles up fast!! Words of wisdom, please
I too don't like to spend my free time on cleaning. I just hate to clean the bathroom,window and almost everything. I don't have enough time too as I am a working mom. So, I have hired a cleaning maid to do those jobs
She used to come on every evening. If you are from Canada, Try 'Sunrise Cleaning Services',professional cleaning service in Canada. I hired from there.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-23-2016, 03:11 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Lately I'm feeling the same way!

I've hired cleaning people on and off. Generally I find that to be MORE work, because they are here to CLEAN, not PICK UP (my husband doesn't know the difference )

I also have the Home Routines App (and followed Fly Lady previously) but generally feel like I am cleaning something all.the.time.

I do have a DC assistant/sub who comes in, but this year I started allergy shots so instead of cleaning while she's here, I've had to do those. My last "build up" shot will be Friday so hopefully that will help.

My house looks tidy, but only if you look quickly. The walls are in desperate need of washing, as are windows, doors, cabinets, etc. The basement needs decluttering, again. Our guest room which was where the dck's used to be authorized to sleep has now become a "junk" room.

I try to remember that this is just a "season" in life. Already with my own kids getting older and able to help out it's getting better. In the evenings after work, it's not as if they have toys and such out. At some point I'll be putting out feelers to work outside the home and then my home will most definitely be clean and tidy.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-23-2016, 04:08 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,495
Default

Play Care, my house sounds similar. Woodwork, windows, cupboards, yikes! Some days it feels like it'd be easier to have somebody come in and replace all my doors and woodwork instead of cleaning it all.
Haha I know when my old range went kapoot and I bought a new one, my first thought was WOW, I won't have to clean this for awhile!
Think I'm what you'd call energy efficient and in this day and age that's a good thing right?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-23-2016, 04:32 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Think I'm what you'd call energy efficient and in this day and age that's a good thing right?
Energy efficient! I love it!!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-23-2016, 07:42 AM
permanentvacation's Avatar
permanentvacation permanentvacation is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,456
Default

When I used to have myself more 'with it'.

Before Daycare Kids Arrived...
About an hour before my daycare kids arrived, I would empty the previous night's dishes from the dishwasher and fill the daycare kids' cups for the day, vacuum every morning, put one load of laundry in the washer and then in the dryer, cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner all at once, load up the dishwasher with the dishes from cooking the meals and run the dishwasher.

During Nap Time...
I'd do a couple of house chores each day including unloading the dishes from cooking that morning, loading the lunch dishes and run the dishwasher, taking the one load of clothes out of the dryer, folding them, and putting them away, and something like clean the bathroom, or dust the house, and by the weekend, my house had been cleaned for the week.

During Outdoor Play Time...
I would rake the leaves, water the outdoor garden, pull the trash cans in the day after trash collection, and once per week, I'd cut the grass by sitting the children on the porch while I mowed the lawn out front and then by making sure they stayed in the playground area while I cut the grass in the back yard. However, now I believe that could have created a dangerous situation if a rock or something had flown up from under the lawn mower, so I don't recommend cutting the grass while the kids are outside.

At the end of the day...
I would sweep the kitchen and hardwood of the living room and hallway and vacuum the living room. On Friday evenings, mop the kitchen floor and vacuum the house (living room, hallway, and 2 bedrooms at that time all on one floor at that time).

When I knew that I had paperwork or computer work that I needed to get done, that would be one of my 'chores' that I did during nap time.

Basically, I used my time wisely. When I wasn't working with the kids, I was tending to a chore. But, by working like that all day (like you would if you worked at a retail job - 'if you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean' - I never had to do any house chores in the evenings or weekends. So I had plenty of time for my personal family every evening and weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-23-2016, 08:10 AM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Yeah, I get making schedules for cleaning and such, the overwhelming and annoying part is the fact that no matter what you are cleaning something ALL the time. I hate that feeling, that's when burn out strikes for me. There is always something to clean and then I'm multi tasking and I would sometimes just like to enjoy the time with the kids instead of going "here, play, I need to go wrangle dishes, laundry, the bathroom, sweep, mop, etc.

Lately, I've just accepted it and refuse to do any cleaning that has to do with daycare, unless I schedule it, after hours, which I record on my time sheet for taxes.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
Yeah, I get making schedules for cleaning and such, the overwhelming and annoying part is the fact that no matter what you are cleaning something ALL the time. I hate that feeling, that's when burn out strikes for me. There is always something to clean and then I'm multi tasking and I would sometimes just like to enjoy the time with the kids instead of going "here, play, I need to go wrangle dishes, laundry, the bathroom, sweep, mop, etc.

Lately, I've just accepted it and refuse to do any cleaning that has to do with daycare, unless I schedule it, after hours, which I record on my time sheet for taxes.
See, I am the opposite. I love spending time with the kids, but I also need to be " busy". I need the distraction of cleaning or some other busywork to keep myself engaged in my day.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-23-2016, 01:50 PM
permanentvacation's Avatar
permanentvacation permanentvacation is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,456
Default

It wasn't "Here, play while I do house chores." I did most of the chores before daycare kids arrived and during nap time. At the end of the day, every day, while the kids picked up their toys in the living room (play room), I'd sweep the floors. After they picked up their toys, I'd vacuum. Once a week, while outside, I'd mow the lawn.

The majority of the time, I was working with the kids, teaching them, playing with them, and monitoring them while they had child led free play. I have always done more with my children than most daycare homes and centers. So, no, I didn't just tell my kids, "Here, play while I do chores." I scheduled my chores around the times that I needed to spend with the children so that I provided a high quality educational program from a very hands-on, involved infants, toddlers, and preschool teacher in a very well-maintained home. And by scheduling my cleaning chores the way I did, I was also able to be a very hands-on, highly involved mother to my own children after work and on the weekends.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-23-2016, 07:34 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentvacation View Post
It wasn't "Here, play while I do house chores." I did most of the chores before daycare kids arrived and during nap time. At the end of the day, every day, while the kids picked up their toys in the living room (play room), I'd sweep the floors. After they picked up their toys, I'd vacuum. Once a week, while outside, I'd mow the lawn.

The majority of the time, I was working with the kids, teaching them, playing with them, and monitoring them while they had child led free play. I have always done more with my children than most daycare homes and centers. So, no, I didn't just tell my kids, "Here, play while I do chores." I scheduled my chores around the times that I needed to spend with the children so that I provided a high quality educational program from a very hands-on, involved infants, toddlers, and preschool teacher in a very well-maintained home. And by scheduling my cleaning chores the way I did, I was also able to be a very hands-on, highly involved mother to my own children after work and on the weekends.
I apologize, I never meant to offend anyone....I think sometimes I write too matter of fact or black and white and I don't get my point across. I struggle with this particular area and I am new to daycare. I, at the moment, do not have a dishwasher, and my laundry room is in the basement where I cannot do care because I don't have an egress window, so because of requirements like no dirty dishes in the sink and whatnot, I'm finding it hard to juggle in my particular situation because I don't have some 'luxuries' at the moment to make my chores easier on me. Per my licensing, we are not allowed to mow the lawn during childcare at all unless someone else is doing it and the children are not in the same vicinity. My struggle is exactly what I said, I'm 'interrupted' or have to make the kids wait, while I clean up from meals and sweep, Swiffer, and it really sucks to feel like all I do is clean, no matter how I plan, some chore is always getting in the way.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 PM
NoMoreJuice!'s Avatar
NoMoreJuice! NoMoreJuice! is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: KS
Posts: 715
Default

With 8 "potty trained" boys in the house (I use that phrase oh-so-loosely...do boys ever really finish training how to correctly pee in a toilet? I'm still training my husband) I am FOREVER cleaning the toilet and a 6-12" radius around it. Sometimes the wall behind it. Once the mirror above it.

I do just add it in my daily chores though. I normally just use naptime to do things like that, load dishwasher from lunch, do laundry, etc. After snack every day, my preschool kids help me scrub tables and chairs and put them away, then I sweep and they'll help me mop the dining area. It only takes about 10 minutes with everyone helping, and I think it's good for the kids to learn to help around the house. They love to put socks on their hands and dust the baseboards. My school age kids vacuum, windex windows and mirrors, and refill soap dispensers. Cleaning house is a life skill, and we are in the business of teaching skills the kids will use for the rest of their lives.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-23-2016, 08:05 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice! View Post
With 8 "potty trained" boys in the house (I use that phrase oh-so-loosely...do boys ever really finish training how to correctly pee in a toilet? I'm still training my husband) I am FOREVER cleaning the toilet and a 6-12" radius around it. Sometimes the wall behind it. Once the mirror above it.

I do just add it in my daily chores though. I normally just use naptime to do things like that, load dishwasher from lunch, do laundry, etc. After snack every day, my preschool kids help me scrub tables and chairs and put them away, then I sweep and they'll help me mop the dining area. It only takes about 10 minutes with everyone helping, and I think it's good for the kids to learn to help around the house. They love to put socks on their hands and dust the baseboards. My school age kids vacuum, windex windows and mirrors, and refill soap dispensers. Cleaning house is a life skill, and we are in the business of teaching skills the kids will use for the rest of their lives.
I uace 2 1 year olds, 2 2.5 year olds, and 2 SA's that come after school. My 2 year olds are just getting the gist of putting away toys and such so I'm not sure that they're old enough to do more. I could be wrong though!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,763
Default

I clean toikets and sinks each morning, empty litter box, vacuum cat room, family room, and living room, empty dishwasher, and get kids cups ready before kids arrive. This takes only about 30 min to do all. Then I also clean as we go. I wash dishes after each meal, wipe down counters. I throw a load of laundry in when we go down to the playroom and dry it later. I vacuum kitchen immediately after lunch and pick up all day long. It is a system that realty works well for me. I can deep clean the house with a lot of the kids here because I have learned I dont need to pick up every book and knick knack and dust them all. I dust where kids play and wash kitchen floor at nap. I can clean tubs during nap too.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-24-2016, 05:51 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Well even though this isn't my post just wanted to thank you guys. I was exhausting myself by spending time cooking and cleaning after working an 11 hour or 10 hour shift. Today I tried something new. While the kids napped, I cooked dinner, cleaned the kitchen, and everything else was already done and today for the first time in forever, my dinner was done by closing time of 6pm. I was so excited. I think I will do this more often instead of being lazy and doing nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
Well even though this isn't my post just wanted to thank you guys. I was exhausting myself by spending time cooking and cleaning after working an 11 hour or 10 hour shift. Today I tried something new. While the kids napped, I cooked dinner, cleaned the kitchen, and everything else was already done and today for the first time in forever, my dinner was done by closing time of 6pm. I was so excited. I think I will do this more often instead of being lazy and doing nothing.

Employ your crock pot! Throw dinner in at breakfast, turn on when needed. Dinner is done!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-24-2016, 07:09 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
Employ your crock pot! Throw dinner in at breakfast, turn on when needed. Dinner is done!
Omg I know. I NEED to buy one asap. Maybe this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,231
Default

We are a family. We do family daycare. We all use the house. We all make messes. Therefore....we ALL clean up.

Myself, my husband, my son(31) and my daughter(19) all have chores. I seriously couldn't do it all by myself without going crazy. My husband actually wouldn't let me do it all alone, bless him.

My daughter does all the laundry and I put it away. Hubby is in charge of vacuuming. Son does dusting, bathrooms etc. I take care of the kitchen duties.....Sometimes we rotate the chores. We've all had a turn at laundry etc.

We do our regular chores all week and on Fridays, I don't participate much in the daycare. The rest of the family take care of business and I have the day to DEEP clean and unwind upstairs (our daycare is in the walk-out basement) I only go down to have a quick chat with a few parents.

It works for us!

But I have friends who husband's act like they'll explode if they're asked to help around the house......

I was like a "single" mom and daycare provider when my husband was in the Air Force and gone a lot. I then had my own chore chart and stuck to it. ie...a quick clean up as I go each day and then a deep clean of one room a day. No chores on weekends other than what was absolutely necessary.

However it's done...I feel that chores need to be written down..Otherwise, it's easy to spend all day cleaning and yet not really feel like anything was completed.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Serpentine's Avatar
Serpentine Serpentine is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss A View Post
I clean as I go, all day long. If I am helping a child in the bathroom, I am also wiping the counter down with a Clorox wipe. If kids are eating lunch, I am cleaning the kitchen, washing dishes, sweeping the floor, etc. I do as much as I can during the day while the kids are going about their normal routine.
This. I vacuum daily and make sure the dishwasher is running when I go to bed. I load or handwash dishes during nap. I wipe things down with soapy water and/or lysol wipes as I go.

Sunday I mop, scrub toilets, baseboards and do all the hard/annoying crap.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
Omg I know. I NEED to buy one asap. Maybe this weekend.
I can't live without mine! That and my rice maker. Hubby has an Aroma rice maker in the semi. It is a slow cooker, steamer, rice maker. I want one for home but many times when I use the slow cooker, I may also use the rice maker so it can be an issue.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2016, cleaning - during daycare, daycare environment, house cleaner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My House Actually Feels Like A Home Again Soccermom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 12-02-2014 09:06 PM
They are running the house.. MyKzooFamily Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 11-30-2012 10:22 PM
Super hero Baking Soda dEHmom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 02-11-2011 09:52 AM
For Tom: Record keeping & MMK legomom922 Daycare and Taxes 3 10-22-2010 07:50 AM
School Aged Children and Busing GretasLittleFriends Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-25-2010 07:29 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming