Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 AM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,376
Default Great Ideas That Were Not

Ever have a great idea for a project, activity, outing with the kids?

Ever do that great idea with the kids and find out it was NOT a great idea after all???

My great idea this week was to make applesauce with the kids. I have no Apple peeler, no Apple corer, nothing. Just a knife and some apples. I had to go to the store last night to get sugar and cinnamon.

The kids are all under the age of 4. There's 8 of them. We managed but not doing that again!!! We'll make Apple muffins or something next year!

So, anybody else have a great idea that ended up being not so great????
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,839
Default

Aww, I'm sorry your applesauce didn't work out! We make it every year. I peel the apples the morning of (or the night before and let soak in a water/lemon juice mixture to prevent browning) then I cut the apple into quarters, and give each kid a with a piece along with a butter knife. They cut the apples into small junks using the butter knives then we dump apples, cinnamon, water and a splash of vanilla in the crock pot. By PM snack we have homemade applesauce. It's a hit every year.

I think my fails are PJ and movie days. For some reason my kids cannot sit for a movie. Or even a short show. Every single time one person ends up in tears because it's scary (even though its G rated) and ends up playing in the classroom and the others just roll around on the floor until it is finished.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2018, 11:17 AM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,376
Default

Oh we still made the applesauce. It was just rough!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:04 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Toad tadpoles. My own kids and I trapped them from the creek and a neighbor told me they were toads. The plan was to let them grow limbs so the daycare kids can see them and release them back into the creek. We caught 30 of them.

They ended up being tree frogs and there was a small opening on the cover on the tank where the aquarium pump goes. We were gone one weekend and when I got back several had escaped and were all over the house in the ceiling corners, in closets, behind furniture. I had to count the leftover tadpoles and frogs we caught in the house and got all but 4. I left trays of water out and caught another 2 the next day. Months later I cleaned out a closet and found a shriveled up frog. I never did find the last one.

I don't do tadpoles anymore. I stick to butterflies and chicken eggs.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Toad tadpoles. My own kids and I trapped them from the creek and a neighbor told me they were toads. The plan was to let them grow limbs so the daycare kids can see them and release them back into the creek. We caught 30 of them.

They ended up being tree frogs and there was a small opening on the cover on the tank where the aquarium pump goes. We were gone one weekend and when I got back several had escaped and were all over the house in the ceiling corners, in closets, behind furniture. I had to count the leftover tadpoles and frogs we caught in the house and got all but 4. I left trays of water out and caught another 2 the next day. Months later I cleaned out a closet and found a shriveled up frog. I never did find the last one.

I don't do tadpoles anymore. I stick to butterflies and chicken eggs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:20 PM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 1,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
Aww, I'm sorry your applesauce didn't work out! We make it every year. I peel the apples the morning of (or the night before and let soak in a water/lemon juice mixture to prevent browning) then I cut the apple into quarters, and give each kid a with a piece along with a butter knife. They cut the apples into small junks using the butter knives then we dump apples, cinnamon, water and a splash of vanilla in the crock pot. By PM snack we have homemade applesauce. It's a hit every year.

I think my fails are PJ and movie days. For some reason my kids cannot sit for a movie. Or even a short show. Every single time one person ends up in tears because it's scary (even though its G rated) and ends up playing in the classroom and the others just roll around on the floor until it is finished.
Is applesauce really that easy to make??? What applescdo you use,?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
Oh we still made the applesauce. It was just rough!
I bet it will be yummy!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
Is applesauce really that easy to make??? What applescdo you use,?
Yes, absolutly! Honestly, I use whatever. Usually gala apples with one or two golden delicious apples thrown in. I love it
The kids love it. Since it is homemade the color will be a darker brown (no absorbic acid added like the store bought stuff) but I believe you can add lemon juice to help with that. The color doesn't affect the taste though. My favorite is warm homemade applesauce with vanilla ice cream.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:53 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
Is applesauce really that easy to make??? What applescdo you use,?
I have everyone bring 2 apples from home. Applesauce is best when itís a mixture of apples. Then I fill in with a bag of Gala, Fuji, or Granny Smith.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,567
Default

I posted my state park river outing fieldtrip here before. I don't have the time to post it again but it was harrowing. Never. I mean, never again.

Any project that includes mod-podge, balloons and yarn, I am out.

I am sure there are a hundred others.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-13-2018, 02:21 PM
CalCare's Avatar
CalCare CalCare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: California
Posts: 664
Default

Praying Mantis egg sacks. I had to keep the two egg sacks inside the cup they were mailed in because I had one butterfly that was still using the habitat. I waited for the egg sacks to hatch, inside the cup as I waited for the injured butterfly, Betty, to be done with the habitat. I guess I thought when the babies emerged, I would put them in some other habitat if my butterfly was still alive. The painted lady butterfly that was supposed to be released weeks before needed long term care, couldn't fly, and lived an absurdly long life. She became my pet. I hand fed Betty for over a month.. I watched and waited for the mantids throughout the day, every day.. until I became busy some days. Then I checked it one day and I saw they were coming out of the sack. I thought, 'omg who knows how long they've been out!?' I knew I had to release them immediately or else they would begin to eat each other if they hadn't been already. So I released them in my rose bushes; which I thought they would probably enjoy as they could find bugs there. The release was on a Friday evening. I went to look at them on Saturday and Sunday and they were dispersing more and more. There were none left by Monday. The childcare kids never saw the egg sack, never saw the mantids, nothing. My own kids did. So there was some purpose at least! Eventually Betty died. Her favorite food was honeydew.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Aussiedaycare's Avatar
Aussiedaycare Aussiedaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Toad tadpoles. My own kids and I trapped them from the creek and a neighbor told me they were toads. The plan was to let them grow limbs so the daycare kids can see them and release them back into the creek. We caught 30 of them.

They ended up being tree frogs and there was a small opening on the cover on the tank where the aquarium pump goes. We were gone one weekend and when I got back several had escaped and were all over the house in the ceiling corners, in closets, behind furniture. I had to count the leftover tadpoles and frogs we caught in the house and got all but 4. I left trays of water out and caught another 2 the next day. Months later I cleaned out a closet and found a shriveled up frog. I never did find the last one.

I don't do tadpoles anymore. I stick to butterflies and chicken eggs.
This literally made me laugh so hard I had coffee come out my nose
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Made applesauce once. All the kids helped with the peeling and putting the apples in the still cold crock pot. The last kid then proceeded to sneeze right into the crock pot. Never again.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-14-2018, 05:15 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,093
Default

Painting with Nerf balls. It was all fun and games till my director looked out the window and saw us.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-14-2018, 08:44 AM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Painting with Nerf balls. It was all fun and games till my director looked out the window and saw us.
Saving this idea for next summer and my gaggle of boys!!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-14-2018, 12:01 PM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Made applesauce once. All the kids helped with the peeling and putting the apples in the still cold crock pot. The last kid then proceeded to sneeze right into the crock pot. Never again.
This happened to me when making a cake with the kids. Sneezed right into it. Makes me so mad when kids dont cover or look away when sneezing. And it never fails that when im sitting on the floor with the kids, someone will walk up to me and sneeze in my face. Why why whyyyy
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-14-2018, 06:27 PM
ColorfulSunburst's Avatar
ColorfulSunburst ColorfulSunburst is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bronx, New York
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCare View Post
Praying Mantis egg sacks. I had to keep the two egg sacks inside the cup they were mailed in because I had one butterfly that was still using the habitat. I waited for the egg sacks to hatch, inside the cup as I waited for the injured butterfly, Betty, to be done with the habitat. I guess I thought when the babies emerged, I would put them in some other habitat if my butterfly was still alive. The painted lady butterfly that was supposed to be released weeks before needed long term care, couldn't fly, and lived an absurdly long life. She became my pet. I hand fed Betty for over a month.. I watched and waited for the mantids throughout the day, every day.. until I became busy some days. Then I checked it one day and I saw they were coming out of the sack. I thought, 'omg who knows how long they've been out!?' I knew I had to release them immediately or else they would begin to eat each other if they hadn't been already. So I released them in my rose bushes; which I thought they would probably enjoy as they could find bugs there. The release was on a Friday evening. I went to look at them on Saturday and Sunday and they were dispersing more and more. There were none left by Monday. The childcare kids never saw the egg sack, never saw the mantids, nothing. My own kids did. So there was some purpose at least! Eventually, Betty died. Her favorite food was honeydew.
do not tell me about praying mantis. I still have one. His name is Potap. I will not tell you how much I already spent on Amazon for his food and how my assistants and I hunting flys if Amazon delivers his food later then expected. and yes, kids show zero interest.
20180801_170115.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-16-2018, 09:14 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiedaycare View Post
This literally made me laugh so hard I had coffee come out my nose
I STILL don't find it funny. Whenever I deep clean or go through a closet I still think "OK today is the day I find the last frog"
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:23 AM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
Is applesauce really that easy to make??? What applescdo you use,?
I make applesauce any time I have it on the menu. I just cut up the apples into small chunks, add a little water and simmer. My kids like chunky applesauce but you can mash it quite fine ( but it will still have texture).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-17-2018, 12:35 PM
CalCare's Avatar
CalCare CalCare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: California
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst View Post
do not tell me about praying mantis. I still have one. His name is Potap. I will not tell you how much I already spent on Amazon for his food and how my assistants and I hunting flys if Amazon delivers his food later then expected. and yes, kids show zero interest.
Attachment 4853
That's awesome! How long has it lived so far? I can't believe you have to catch flies for it. That's just too much. I thought handfeeding Betty was over the top lol at least it was just fruit.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Bluemoon5's Avatar
Bluemoon5 Bluemoon5 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 55
Default

Spaghetti sensory play. Most of the kids had fun, but it was a lot messier than expected. I was anticipating maybe a 3 on the mess scale, which translates to the area gets blocked off so it doesn't get all over the room, but everyone stays fully dressed. It got All. Over. I was still digging mushed spaghetti out of kids shoes at nap time.

I'd still do it again, but with the floor covered and everyone stripped down to diapers and shirts.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:40 PM
ColorfulSunburst's Avatar
ColorfulSunburst ColorfulSunburst is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bronx, New York
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCare View Post
That's awesome! How long has it lived so far? I can't believe you have to catch flies for it. That's just too much. I thought handfeeding Betty was over the top lol at least it was just fruit.
Today I let him go to my front yard. He is around 4mo. There is a lot of insects for him over there.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Jdy2222's Avatar
Jdy2222 Jdy2222 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Gateway, Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 81
Default

Colored rice on the lanai. I think it started with bowls of rice and measuring spoons/cups. Somewhere along the way it turned into rice down the slides and being thrown up in the air. Rice was everywhere. Clean up seemed simple ... swept what I could and then got out the hose. Wet sticky rice was definitely NOT easier to clean up. It took months to get it out of every nook and corner.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-19-2018, 06:09 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Painting with Nerf balls. It was all fun and games till my director looked out the window and saw us.
I can top this. I was teaching my school age and preschoolers about chemical reactions (they loved science). We had already made a volcano, unplugged a sink and grown a ton of random flowers. So we decided to try mentos and soda. I went out and bought a drop tube to make a better reaction. So Im thinking smart, had my coworker and the kids stand at the fence and went out into the alley to do the experiment, less cleanup). Well, I got the mentos in, and it made a mess. So we decided to do it again... Well a single mento got stuck, causing the ones that fell in to create a pressure.... The building owner(and director) walked out togehter, right as the bottle EXPLODED. It showers me, the bosses car, the building behind us and owner.... thank god he laughed. I smelled like moutain dew for a week!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-27-2018, 05:38 AM
CeriBear's Avatar
CeriBear CeriBear is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 321
Default

We were learning about colors one week so I decided to have the kids practice mixing colors by using shaving cream and food coloring in plastic bags. I would let them pick 2 colors and we would see what colors they would make. Not wanting to spend a lot of money I bough the cheapest brand of plastic bags and it was a disaster. The bags broke and the shaving cream and food coloring got everywhere. I may try this experiment again but will make it a point to buy sturdy bags. Four year olds can be rough on things.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
goals, ideas, providers - are misunderstood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Need Promotion Ideas permanentvacation Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 11-02-2015 09:33 AM
You Guys Have Great Ideas preschoolteacher Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 06-19-2014 01:53 PM
Great ideas... coolconfidentme Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 04-04-2014 06:19 AM
Ideas For Playroom Bathroom Covering Besides Door small_steps Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 10-28-2013 12:19 PM
Fundraising Ideas? vpierce2 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 09-27-2009 09:01 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming