Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has This Happened to You?
Unregistered 10:29 AM 01-22-2020
Sent home dcb for 101-ish fever. He was laying super low and not himself which is why I took his temp in the first place. The cold/flu and stomach flu is also going around, so I'm extra cautious.

Parent picks up and dcb runs to her and starts acting better. Felt like I looked stupid and dcm did not seem impressed. Has this happened to you before?
Valerie928 10:32 AM 01-22-2020
It happens EVERY time. I have been doing this for so long that I could care less what the parents think if I make them come get their child. If I call them to pick up it's because their kiddo is sick. My own kids ALWAYS perk up when dad comes home from work. Kinda the same situation kwim?
Cat Herder 11:02 AM 01-22-2020
It feels good when you know a parent is coming early to get you when you don't feel well. For some kids, this is the only time they have alone time with a parent that is 100% focused on their needs. It can be pretty exciting.
Ariana 11:32 AM 01-22-2020
It has happened a few times to me as well. Luckily the fever is still there so it doesn’t really matter how they are acting with mom and dad. I have had kids run to the door and then end up at Emergency a few hours later!
Msdunny 11:40 AM 01-22-2020
Agreed! I had an extremely sick baby girl with RSV who ended up in the hospital the evening after being sent home with a fever. When Grandma walked in for pick up, she smiled and laughed like she was totally fine.
e.j. 11:42 AM 01-22-2020
It has happened to me, too. I usually get a side eye look from the parent at first but then get a call/text later thanking me because an hour after being home, the fever is back and the kid is now vomiting, lethargic, etc. With a 101 fever, something is probably brewing. It's probably just a matter of time before the parent sees it, too.
Unregistered 01:08 PM 01-22-2020
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've unfortunately made the mistake of allowing a child to stay because they seemed fine and the parent told me they were "running around when they got home", only to have other kids in my care get the same thing.

Another question:

Do you inform your other families when you have sent a child home for anything? I'm required to do it if it's a contagious illness, but I'm wondering if I should let them know that a child had a fever.
Cat Herder 01:36 PM 01-22-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've unfortunately made the mistake of allowing a child to stay because they seemed fine and the parent told me they were "running around when they got home", only to have other kids in my care get the same thing.

Another question:

Do you inform your other families when you have sent a child home for anything? I'm required to do it if it's a contagious illness, but I'm wondering if I should let them know that a child had a fever.
I don't unless it is a reportable illness. It gives some parents the idea to dope their kid the next morning to make sure they don't get called to pick up for a virus. Then it spreads like wildfire with other kids being re-exposed upon return to care.

You know, because they got it there anyway.
Unregistered 03:50 PM 01-22-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I don't unless it is a reportable illness. It gives some parents the idea to dope their kid the next morning to make sure they don't get called to pick up for a virus. Then it spreads like wildfire with other kids being re-exposed upon return to care.

You know, because they got it there anyway.
Good point!

And now dcm just told me that dcb doesn't have a fever at all and has been happy and talking all afternoon. *sigh*
Cat Herder 04:10 PM 01-22-2020
Good point!

And now dcm just told me that dcb doesn't have a fever at all and has been happy and talking all afternoon. *sigh*
I would still exclude for tomorrow. 24 hours fever free without medications. I have a mandatory 48 hours out if I send them home rule.
flying_babyb 05:04 PM 01-22-2020
after having a ton of issues with this, I started taking a picture of the thermometer held next to the clock and sending it to the parents. This gives me a visual for the parents to see, a time for them to see for the 24-48 hour exclusion and a date (when the message sends). Helps keep track of "pattern" parents.
LittleExplorers 12:38 PM 01-23-2020

Another question:

I do. I have great parents right now. By telling them, they watch for the symptoms and exclude if the see the signs.
Tags:bonding, dope and drop, dope; drop, one on one care, sick days
Reply Up