Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:17 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Medication Authorizations/Thoughts

Dcb has been with me p/t over a year now. I recently received an updated medical report and learned child is now prescribed EpiPen for allergy and Ventolin rescue inhaler for asthma. I printed out the appropriate Medication Consent forms required by my state for dcd to have pediatrician complete.

FF a few weeks, I have repeatedly asked dcd for forms. He said he lost them so I reprinted. Another two weeks later, no forms. I asked dcd again and informed him I would not continue to accept dcb without completed forms. He informed me that dcbís mom ended up picking up forms from pediatrician and he had to make arrangements to get them from her.

When he finally gets forms from her, it is another updated medical report with same medications noted. He claims pediatrician told him that report was the same as the forms I gave him. Absolutely Not. I know what I printed twice and they were Medication Consent forms.

He claims he doesnít know what happened to the forms, is blaming the pediatricians office for losing them and wants me to print them a third time.

Everything I ask of this dcd turns goes the same way. I feel like Iím nagging my teen kids.

I left a message for my licensor asking where my responsibility lies in getting the correct forms. Licensors record of returning my calls isnít the best either.

I canít really contact the pediatrician directly as itís not my child.

There is a history between dcd and dcbís mom going back and forth and blaming each other for every little bump, scratch and bruise on the boy. To me, itís all been basic boo boos that happen to all kids that age, but I document everything in my health check to be safe.

I donít really want to be involved if this child has a reaction or asthma attack on my watch and I donít have the medication to help him. What would you all do? Iím thinking of terming.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:31 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

It would be one thing if you had to administer his medication/EpiPen but it appears that there is a lot more to the care of the child and also managing his parents than maybe you would be willing to put the time into. I would terminate.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
FF a few weeks, I have repeatedly asked dcd for forms. He said he lost them so I reprinted. Another two weeks later, no forms. I asked dcd again and informed him I would not continue to accept dcb without completed forms.
If it were me, I would do exactly what I said I would do if he didn't get the necessary paperwork to me.

If I don't have that paperwork in my file during a licensing visit, I get written up. That's bad for me but it's a minor thing compared to what would happen if the kid had an asthma attack on my watch and I didn't have the medication he needed or the permission forms that would have allowed me to administer it. No medication/proper paperwork=no child care from me.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

You don't necessarily need to term right away unless you'd rather do that. Just say sorry, I can't care for dck until I have the appropriate paperwork. Close your door to them until they do it. That should get dcd moving.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:41 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I'd employ my exclusion policy. No attendance until I had both the forms and the medications in my hands.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:52 AM

Wrong thread. So sorry.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:52 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Thank you all for your advice.

I was also confused that there is no mention of the use of benedryl on the childís medical report.

In my experience, there has always been benedryl used in conjunction with an EpiPen where there is an allergic reaction. I asked dcd and he just shrugged.

I have never encountered such resistance and confusion on a parentís part when it came to treating a childís allergy.

Isnít benedryl usually used with the EpiPen?
Old 03-03-2020, 05:08 AM

Benedryl is too slow for anaphylaxis. It is unnecessary if you give the epi pen and call 911.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:17 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Benedryl is too slow for anaphylaxis. It is unnecessary if you give the epi pen and call 911.
Thank you.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

It may be the pediatrician too. I know our pediatrician has a form that says this meets state standards for all daycare and school needs. They more or less refuse to fill out anything different.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:58 AM
New Daycare.com Member

We shall see. I gave dcd forms again and put in writing that child cannot return to daycare without completed forms and the medication in itís original prescription packaging. Iím waiting to see if he tries to drop the child off today without it.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:58 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Dcd has now begun texting me that he got a flat tire on his way to pick up the forms from the doctor and plans to drop the child off before he gets the car fixed. I told him I canít take the child without the forms and medication. And so I wait. (Insert eye roll emoji).
Old 03-04-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Dcd has now begun texting me that he got a flat tire on his way to pick up the forms from the doctor and plans to drop the child off before he gets the car fixed. I told him I canít take the child without the forms and medication. And so I wait. (Insert eye roll emoji).
Wow.

I am so sorry. Super original, isn't he?
Old 03-04-2020, 10:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would get a HIPPA form and mail it along with the forms to the pediatrician with a self addressed stamped envelope.

I would NOT take dcb without forms and meds.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:27 AM

Good job enforcing no papers = no daycare.

These are the types of parents that will crucify you to the media if anything bad ever happens... they will say you KNEW the child needed the epipen and were so relaxed in your rules that you didnít care and will likely toss in a comment about as a good parent they Ďhaveí to work and rely on providers who just donít care.

I would keep enforcing no stay until you have everything you need.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:52 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Dcd seemed surprised I would not take dcb without the paperwork. Now he doesnít have gas money to put in his other vehicle to get to the pediatrician to pick up the forms 😐

He is a drop-in and I charge him drop-in rates. I just saved him a dayís worth of daycare fees. Weíll see what happens tomorrow.

Iím thinking I need to start charging fees to reprint forms.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:59 PM

Oh my goodness! I am exhausted reading all that... lol!

I have to ask, is it worth keeping this family?

I can't imagine what other issues might be a problem if something like addressing a life or death situation is this difficult for them.

I might be inclined to just tell them you aren't the right program for their needs.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:21 PM

So he's never heard of pdf, email or a fax machine?

Ridiculous
Old 03-04-2020, 02:26 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Oh my goodness! I am exhausted reading all that... lol!

I have to ask, is it worth keeping this family?

I can't imagine what other issues might be a problem if something like addressing a life or death situation is this difficult for them.

I might be inclined to just tell them you aren't the right program for their needs.
No, it isnít really worth it.

Itís become so comical at this point, I want to stick it out to get more laughs.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:27 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
So he's never heard of pdf, email or a fax machine?

Ridiculous
He says the pediatrician wonít do it that way for privacy reasons.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:29 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Heís still texting me about his financial dilemma.

I have no idea how he was planning on paying me 😂
Old 03-04-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Heís still texting me about his financial dilemma.

I have no idea how he was planning on paying me 😂
Just wow.

I am closed now, so I'd probably text back "That sounds tough. Let me know when you have it figured out and he is ready to return. Have a good night."

My work phone is now turned off.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:49 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Good News.

Dcd and dcb came in this morning with completed form and inhaler.

Also, there was a note from the doctor that the boy had recently had allergy testing and can discontinue use of EpiPen and Benedryl. An updated medical report was also provided with the EpiPen removed. I suspected this was the case as dcd had verbally informed me of that before but the medical report didnít align with what dad said. So at least that is straightened out.

Dcd made an appointment with the doctor regarding the asthma diagnosis. He doesnít believe the child has asthma, and frankly, neither do I. I have never witnessed a symptom of asthma in the child and Dcd says the same. Dcbís mom is kind of a hypochondriac and has the child at the doctor at least five times a month. Recently, she made 3 visits to the doctor because she insisted the doctorís diagnosis of stomach bug was an appendicitis. I donít deal with her at all. My contract is only with dcd on days he has custody, so I feel for him on that front.

He told me he and dcb were going out for dinner later, so hopefully his financial trouble have resolved. 😁

Thank you all for your advice and support. I find being a single in-home provider to be very isolating. It is nice to have this board.

Tags
administering, asthma, enforcing policies - consistency, epipen, exclusion policy, medication - administering