Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Do You Wait?
cillybean83 06:31 AM 02-03-2011
I just had an interview last night, and I have another today at noon. The one last night seemed to go well, but at the end of the interview she didn't sign, she said thanks and I'll get back to you soon...which is fine I don't want to make anyone feel pressured into signing, but I'm curious as to how long I should wait to hear back from her and is there anything I could do to kind of *encourage* parents to make a decision during the interview or very shortly there after? I just don't want to schedule interviews then here back from these people that they want to start, then have to cancel the interviews I had set up, kwim?
Sunny Day 06:34 AM 02-03-2011
If I have numerous interviews, I let the parent(s) know when they're interviewing that I am "taking applications" Then I take the lead by saying, I will let you know once I'm done my interviewing and if you're interested we can sign papers and begin a trial period. That way, I'm in control of what families I take on. Good luck though, it can be tricky!
dEHmom 06:45 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Sunny Day:
If I have numerous interviews, I let the parent(s) know when they're interviewing that I am "taking applications" Then I take the lead by saying, I will let you know once I'm done my interviewing and if you're interested we can sign papers and begin a trial period. That way, I'm in control of what families I take on. Good luck though, it can be tricky!
OOOh I really like this idea!
Normally, I be a little sneaky, and email them, or just let them know several times through the interview process that I have other interviews scheduled. Should a family decide to place a deposit on one of the interviews, or after, then the spot will be filled. I also let them know, I will advise them if anyone plans on placing a deposit so they have the opportunity to decide. I know I'm bad.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Sunny Day:
That is the same approach I take. At the end of the interview I usually say something like "I will be doing my last interview for this space on ____day and I will call you on ____day (usually within 3 days of interview) to discuss with you our next step. Please take the time to discuss with your family any questions you may have and feel free to call me any time with those questions. I look forward to speaking with you on ___day. Thank you."

That way I get a chance to decide if I want them in my program as well as them getting a chance to decide if the program is right for them.
I used to look at it like they were interviewing me, but then I realized I am interviewing them just as much, if not more, since I am inviting them to be in my home. Funny how changing how you view things really changes the whole thing because since then I have gotten really good families and have very little issues overall.
cillybean83 06:51 AM 02-03-2011
both of the kids (last nights interview and todays) would start March 28th so I ask for a deposit of 1/2 the first weeks tuition to hold the spot, then the first week they actually begin they would pay their 2 week deposit and the other 1/2 of the first weeks tuition....I just like to have a little bit of security when I'm holding onto a spot that long, kwim?

I just don't know how to kind of "put them on the spot" to make a decision either way without sounding like a used car salesman!
KEG123 06:58 AM 02-03-2011
I plan to call my potential family on Monday. Their interview was Tues. I might be having an interview today or tomorrow, but I can take them both.
littlemissmuffet 08:06 AM 02-03-2011
If I have no other interviews scheduled, I give 24 hours from the end of the interview to decide. If I do have other interviews scheduled, I tell them that they have 3 hours before my next scheduled interview to decide... i.e. if I am interviewing at 8pm Friday night and have an interview scheduled at noon on Saturday I tell them that I need to know their decision by 9am Saturday morning, and also require the holding fee that day as well.
Every single interview I have ever done resulted in the parents signing and providing the holding fee right then and there.
lvt77 08:24 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
both of the kids (last nights interview and todays) would start March 28th so I ask for a deposit of 1/2 the first weeks tuition to hold the spot, then the first week they actually begin they would pay their 2 week deposit and the other 1/2 of the first weeks tuition....I just like to have a little bit of security when I'm holding onto a spot that long, kwim?

I just don't know how to kind of "put them on the spot" to make a decision either way without sounding like a used car salesman!
Since they are already gone, why dont you give it a day and then place a call thanking them for their time and considering your program. Let them know that if they have any questions that you are open to talk at any time... Or suggested time. Some times when I call the next day I inform them that since they were the first people to interview for the spot that I wanted to be fair and offer it to them, as I have several other applicants waiting for this spot. This has always gotten me an answer right away.

I usually ask for their email address when they come to interview, and then send them a nice email thanking them for their time, letting them know that I know that they have many choices and that I appreciate them taking the time to consider my program. I also talk about that I understand how important it is to Shop around to find the best place for their most important person in their life. Just a nice letter to thank them, as well as inform them that there are other people looking at the same spot. However, without that salesman pressure approach..

Hope this helps some..
JenNJ 08:36 AM 02-03-2011
I would write a "Thank You" email stating how nice it was to meet them and Junior and that you will be finished interviewing on X day and you will let them know when the spot is taken if it happens before X day.
nannyde 08:40 AM 02-03-2011
I don't ever call them back.

I do three interviews. If I like them they get a second one. Once they leave the first one I don't think of them at all unless I decide NOT to take them. If I decide to give them another interview then I decide that and then forget them.

I tell the ones I like that they need to phone me within two weeks if they would like a second interview. Sometimes they schedule that right away and sometimes they call a week or so later.

One of my best clients called me two weeks after the first interview. It was worth the wait.
snbauser 09:25 AM 02-03-2011
I tell them during the interview that I continue to advertise and interview until I have the deposit and the required paperwork back. Then the spot is reserved for them but not until then.
Little People 09:35 AM 02-03-2011
This is in my handbook and I always cover this with them:

Enrollment Requirements
Please keep in mind that enrollment is on a first come first serve basis and there is no guarantee that I can hold a spot open for your child. Openings are considered open till Provider accepts child/children and Parents Pay First Week Payment. Sometimes ******XX has more than one parent interview scheduled for an opening. Then ***XXwill call each parent and let them know which child has been accepted.
momma2girls 09:53 AM 02-03-2011
Whomever signs the contract first!
Reply Up