Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Made Butter!
Abigail 07:05 PM 02-13-2011
I finally got around to shaking heavy whipping cream in a container to make butter! It tastes a little bit different that any kind of store-bought butter, but it did turn yellow and still look like butter. It only took about 8-10 minutes total. YUM. Now if I only had more bread to eat.

I think I'll have DH and I made another serving tomorrow together since it's Valentines Day, LOL...something we can do together and make breakfast.
ammama 07:26 PM 02-13-2011
My DD did this in school last week, and i'm thinking of doing it with the dayhome kids. How exactly do you do it? Did it take very vigorous shaking (Could 3 year olds do it?)?
Blackcat31 07:47 PM 02-13-2011
We've made butter several years in a row. We just use heavy whipping cream, pour it in a glass jar, tighten the lid and take turns passing it around a sharing circle and repeat until you have butter. My kids eat it on graham crackers and get excited every year todoit. I have any kid who can shake help out. Every second counts!

Last year I had a 5 yr old dcb tell me that it wasn't really butter...after asking him why he thought it wasn't, he said "because it doesn't have corners." lol!
MNmamaOf4 09:11 PM 02-13-2011
DS made this in his ECFE class, they put the whipping cream in baby food jars and passed them around the room, the kids and parents took turns shaking them. They had it on graham crackers for snack time.
Abigail 10:50 PM 02-13-2011
I used about 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream, generic brand from Walmart. I poured it in a small plastic food storage container and put the lid on and started shaking. I didn't have any other plastic jars with a lid, but I was shaking this container for about 5 minutes really fast. My cats were very interested, lol.

When it stopped moving around from me shaking, I opened it up and whipped it with a regular spoon for another five minutes. Then I noticed the buttermilk liquid starting to appear. I would "drain" the liquid into another bowl (eventually became garbage because I didn't make a lot this time, but heard you can use it as pancake batter), by just holding the container at an angle over the bowl. I would continue to whip/mix with the spoon pressing it into the container so the liquid was separate from it. I would continue to drain the liquid until there was no more.

Then I put it on crackers! It doesn't make much, my half a cup turned into butter for five ritz crackers. I had almost as much liquid as I did butter. It took about 12 minutes total. Kids could definitely start the shaking. Have them do it for one minute each and pass it around twice before you take over.
E Daycare 04:55 AM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by MNmamaOf4:
DS made this in his ECFE class, they put the whipping cream in baby food jars and passed them around the room, the kids and parents took turns shaking them. They had it on graham crackers for snack time.
Yup this is exactly what I did when I worked in a preschool. Ive been saving some of Dcg baby food jars to do this when the kids get a little older. Add some salt and youre good to go. Or other spices too.
kendallina 08:24 AM 02-14-2011
Yeh, we did this in the fall when we did our farm theme. I have mostly 3-year olds and they were able to shake it for a while, but I had to finish it up. I kept checking it and wondering if it was done, but once it was done, it was obvious! It does become thicker, just like butter. And it was de-licious! We served it on crackers. Also, make sure that you use glass jars (we use baby food jars), there seems to be something about the glass that makes it work.
Abigail 08:54 PM 02-14-2011
So yummy even without salt or anything added. You could do this as a theme for the color yellow, or a food theme, or anything of that nature. It's kind of like a science experiment if you ask me!

I had to make butter again this morning because I was actually craving it. I prefer to eat it right away instead of putting it in the fridge like recommended for 30 mintues. You can make it quicker in a blender if you wanted to.
Sunny Day 11:23 AM 02-15-2011
I've done this a few times with my dck. They LOVE it! I usually put a bit of cream into the small plastic baby food containers and they can each make their own--then they eat it on crackers
dEHmom 05:23 AM 02-16-2011
we did this yesterday (just a tiny bit) to try it out. I didn't want to do too much and find out I did it wrong!

But it turned out great.

We will actually do it today for real.
AfterSchoolMom 05:46 AM 02-16-2011
What would happen if you added a drop of honey to make "honey butter"? Would that affect the consistency?
DCMomOf3 05:54 AM 02-16-2011
Does it come out like butter you could buy at a store?
dEHmom 06:44 AM 02-16-2011
It looked like margarine to me! but I'm sure once you stuck it in the fridge it would harden up.

Sorry I can't answer anything about adding honey or anything, but I'm sure you could google it?!?!

I poured the buttermilk out into a cup and continued to shake. My son grabs the cup and starts drinking. Says "mommy, this milk is old" hahahaha!
dEHmom 09:01 AM 02-16-2011
Question!!!

What do you do with the buttermilk you take out of the jar? How long can you store it?
dEHmom 09:09 AM 02-18-2011
ok, I just want to thank you abigail...

I am officially addicted to butter. And when I gain 500 lbs because I'm eating it on EVERYTHING I'm going to blame you :P

omg sooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
countrymom 09:15 AM 02-18-2011
I'll try it today with my kids, hmm and some fresh bread from my bread maker, omg I can see the pounds being packed on.
dEHmom 09:22 AM 02-18-2011
I bought a 1L of whipping cream, and some special edition canning jars. They are 8 oz fancy jars. We've already eaten 4 oz of the butter in 2 days. By we I mainly mean me, but kids helped too.

Although I do have to say it is getting saltier since we made it. I heard freezing it brings the saltiness out, I guess the fridge does also.

a tip I read online was to wash it really really well and then squish it into a container to store it, making sure no air is in it, and then filling the top with fresh cold water before placing in fridge. And each time you use it, dump out the water, and replace with new water before putting back in fridge. It eliminates the air in the container and helps preserve the butter longer.
Lilbutterflie 10:12 AM 02-18-2011
I got some whipping cream today! We are going to do it on Monday. I have a plastic applesauce jar that we will use, and each child will get their turn shaking it. Thanks for the idea!
Abigail 11:26 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
ok, I just want to thank you abigail...

I am officially addicted to butter. And when I gain 500 lbs because I'm eating it on EVERYTHING I'm going to blame you :P

omg sooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
LOL, it is very good. I need to make more because my heavy whipping cream is only suppose to be open for seven days. Better make the rest of it up when I get a chance.
Tags:butter
Reply Up