Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I The Only Car-Seat Safety Nerd On Here?
SilverSabre25 08:04 AM 02-24-2011
I'm just curious. Unsafe car seat practices are so rampant, I'm wondering if I'm the only provider that's well-educated in this department and if anyone has come up with a good way to educate parents on basic car seat safety.

There's one family right now that I have to look away when they leave because of the horribly, horribly unsafe way their baby is strapped in. I worry about her constantly because if they're in an accident, she's going to fly right out of that seat.
nannyde 08:06 AM 02-24-2011
Not me

NO car seats in the house and this is one of the main reasons.
Cat Herder 08:10 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Not me

NO car seats in the house and this is one of the main reasons.
Same here....

Of course, now I can be held liable if I did not interveine in an unsafe situation, I am told, by my CCR&R... Yay...
Sunny Day 08:12 AM 02-24-2011
I am so crazy about car seat safety that I won't even take my daycare kids in the car with me because actually getting the seats properly installed is such a pain! It seems like some people don't even care at all about it--I'm sorry, but nobody can properly install a car seat in like a minute! I have a few friends who made fun of me so bad for keeping my little girl rear-facing until she was 2 years old (I would have longer if she didn't outgrow the height limit), but then won't listen to the reasons about how its better for the child. I don't ever see the carseats my daycare kids come in, so I'm not sure. I know in general, most that I see have twisted straps, move around way too much, have harness clips in the wrong place, keep the handle up on the baby seat, etc. etc. People are also in waaaay to big of a rush to get their kids onto the next step, whether it be forward facing, or booster. Its hard to talk to people about it though--I have tried a few times and they get defensive, no matter how nicely I try to put it....Its hard to know where you're stepping over the line, but if its really that bad, I would say something to them for sure--the child's safety should be paramount. I have educated myself on car seat safety for my own child, I don't really bring it into the daycare though.
blueclouds29 08:17 AM 02-24-2011
i have heard that its not good to keep taking the car seats in and out. I wish parents would just put two car seats in each car and not worry about leaving a car seat for the other parent.
We got our car seats installed by the fire company who said its not good to keep moving the car seats around due to improper installment each time.
Maybe its me, but i wish parents just got two car seats, one for each car.
nannyde 08:17 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Same here....

Of course, now I can be held liable if I did not interveine in an unsafe situation, I am told, by my CCR&R... Yay...
I don't want to be in the chain of responsibility. I have no interest in keeping up on car seat technology or research.

The car seats are yuckky once the kid is a couple of months old and they hold up the show on arrival and departures.

Best to keep them in the car.
Sunny Day 08:22 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
i have heard that its not good to keep taking the car seats in and out. I wish parents would just put two car seats in each car and not worry about leaving a car seat for the other parent.
We got our car seats installed by the fire company who said its not good to keep moving the car seats around due to improper installment each time.
Completely agree!! They told me this too.
nannyde 08:24 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
It's a requirement here. I don't allow car seats to be on my property at all. One parent drops off and one picks up. They both have their own seats and just bring the kid in.
MommyMuffin 08:26 AM 02-24-2011
I think its amazing how many parents let their infants sleep in their car seats when they get home.
nannyde 08:53 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I think its amazing how many parents let their infants sleep in their car seats when they get home.
NOT safe
Little People 08:56 AM 02-24-2011
All 5 of my car seats in my van have been installed by our fire department and they stay installed
SilverSabre25 08:59 AM 02-24-2011
I don't expect others to necessarily extended rear-face their kids (although I wish they would!!!!) but I do wish that more people understood that winter coats aren't safe in the car seat, and how tight the straps should be, and where the chest clip should be, and basic things like that.

The infant I have right now comes in her infant carrier, wearing a HUGE puffy snowsuit, straps so loose you can get three fingers between her and the strap, and the chest clip around her stomach .

Maybe I'll just feel better if I put a bunch of my favorite car-seat safety links in the "Parent Resources" section of my website...then maybe at least a few will see them.
Little People 09:03 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I don't expect others to necessarily extended rear-face their kids (although I wish they would!!!!) but I do wish that more people understood that winter coats aren't safe in the car seat, and how tight the straps should be, and where the chest clip should be, and basic things like that.

The infant I have right now comes in her infant carrier, wearing a HUGE puffy snowsuit, straps so loose you can get three fingers between her and the strap, and the chest clip around her stomach .

Maybe I'll just feel better if I put a bunch of my favorite car-seat safety links in the "Parent Resources" section of my website...then maybe at least a few will see them.
The car seats I purchased, right below the legs is a silver tab that you can lift up and you can tighten or loosen the shoulder straps, and they all came with soft little things that are on the shoulder straps that stay by there neck and the chest strap is a MUST!
laundrymom 09:12 AM 02-24-2011
I tell them. I fix the seat strap, let them know why, show them how. I don't worry about offending them.
daysofelijah 09:17 AM 02-24-2011
I have parents on both end of the spectrum. Two kids bounce around all over the car on their way home. They only live a block away so that's their excuse. I hope they strap them in other times!
Then I have an almost two year old who is still rear-facing and never wears a coat. She has some weird car seat poncho thing. (She never wears shoes either, but I guess that's a different matter entirely )
Zoe 09:28 AM 02-24-2011
I got an email from my licensor last week that included many parent information sheets/websites/activities for kids/psa's regarding booster/car seat safety. It's something you could include in a newsletter as a "for your information" thing. Now, this is through my state, however maybe you could use it or find the same department of public safety in your state that would have something more specific.

http://www.buckleupkids.state.mn.us/...%20Message.pdf

http://www.buckleupkids.state.mn.us/...oValentine.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSf6TKOfoY
Missani 11:28 AM 02-24-2011
I once followed a dcm out to her car and put the handle of the infant carrier down. I probably shouldn't have done that because of liability reasons, but I couldn't handle the guilt if something were to happen to her.

I've also corrected people on the chest clip position, but not my dcks.

I am really picky about carseat safety, too. The one thing I do, though, is I do let my kids wear coats when it's really cold outside. If I can go warm up the car first, then I do, but if I can't then they wear their winter jackets. If it's warmer, they wear a lighter fleece jacket. I know that the reason for this is because the puffy winter jackets will compress in an accident, which can make the straps too loose and the child can come out of the seat. However, when I do let my kids wear their coats, I push the "fluffiness" in and then tighten the straps. I know the experts will disagree with me, but I do strap my kids really tight, and when they wear a fleece or no jacket the next time, I don't have to pull the straps any tighter-they are already really snug. Because of this, and because we live where below zero temperatures are the norm at sometimes of the year, I am comfortable with that.

I am really surprised at how many parents do not follow basic carseat safety precautions: handle up on infant seat so they can play with those toy bar things, loose straps, old outdated seats, booster seats for young kids, chest clips down by the crotch, no carseats for older preschoolers/young schoolagers, etc.
SilverSabre25 11:39 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Missani:
I once followed a dcm out to her car and put the handle of the infant carrier down. I probably shouldn't have done that because of liability reasons, but I couldn't handle the guilt if something were to happen to her.

I've also corrected people on the chest clip position, but not my dcks.

I am really picky about carseat safety, too. The one thing I do, though, is I do let my kids wear coats when it's really cold outside. If I can go warm up the car first, then I do, but if I can't then they wear their winter jackets. If it's warmer, they wear a lighter fleece jacket. I know that the reason for this is because the puffy winter jackets will compress in an accident, which can make the straps too loose and the child can come out of the seat. However, when I do let my kids wear their coats, I push the "fluffiness" in and then tighten the straps. I know the experts will disagree with me, but I do strap my kids really tight, and when they wear a fleece or no jacket the next time, I don't have to pull the straps any tighter-they are already really snug. Because of this, and because we live where below zero temperatures are the norm at sometimes of the year, I am comfortable with that.

I am really surprised at how many parents do not follow basic carseat safety precautions: handle up on infant seat so they can play with those toy bar things, loose straps, old outdated seats, booster seats for young kids, chest clips down by the crotch, no carseats for older preschoolers/young schoolagers, etc.
We get around the "really cold" part by having a nice fleece blanket in the car--she gets covered up as soon as she's strapped. She has to wear a light fleece in the seat, too, and we bring the heavy coat along.

Many infant seats do state that the handle can be up when it's in the base--most Gracos do, I know that. But I know what you mean. I have tried with a few people (and called the cops on a couple I've seen while out!) to point out gross misconduct on the part of their car seats, but to no avail.

At least I have 911 at my disposal when I see people driving down the road or getting in a car with their infant in their arms or a two year old bouncing around with no belt in the front seat...
Missani 12:26 PM 02-24-2011
[quote=SilverSabre25;86118]We get around the "really cold" part by having a nice fleece blanket in the car--she gets covered up as soon as she's strapped. She has to wear a light fleece in the seat, too, and we bring the heavy coat along.

We have warm fleece blankets, too. Warm blankets, warmish jackets, hats, mittens, and a preheated car when possible.
KEG123 12:30 PM 02-24-2011
although we didn't extended RF, I will at least until 18 mo. with this next one. We don't wear coats in carseats, rather a a tshirt, long sleeve, and zip up hoodie, plus a blanket waiting in the car. He is also in a britax 85, which 5 pt harnasses until 85 lbs. As far as what parents do, I will help try to inform them, but you know how well some parents listen.
MG&Lsmom 12:53 PM 02-24-2011
I'm a wicked big carseat fanatic. I just purchased 2 new seats for dcks for my van. My "free" time last weekend was spent in the garage trying to figure out how to fit 6 seats into my 8 passenger van. LOL! And I was having fun!

I think the issue with taking in and out is that the more you do it the more chance you have to install incorrectly. I've spend a lot of time working with a nearby certified carseat tech on correct placement, installation and usage. I feel comfortable doing my own installs, but often have her double check to make sure everythings ok. My police and fire station both claim to do installs but not a single officer or fireman is certified to do so. And I've seen incorrectly installed seats in cars by them. Drives me nuts.
Reply Up