Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When/If To Call Parents?
Sunny Day 09:11 AM 03-30-2011
If a child is having ridiculous temper tanturms (the little boy I've posted about previously is at it AGAIN), I'm talking 2-3 hour long fits, always during nap time. Do you just give up and call the parents to pick them up or do you put up with it? This is EXCESSIVE!!!!
dEHmom 09:15 AM 03-30-2011
I would think if maybe something may be wrong, it might be a good idea to heads up parents because he's inconsolable and you are worried something is wrong.

If he just isn't getting his way, i'd say more than likely you should deal with it yourself. But I would let parents know that if this continues tomorrow, the next day next week, etc, that they will be informed to come and pick up.
daycare 09:18 AM 03-30-2011
I have in my PHB that a parent will be called to pick up thier child if the child is harming self or others while throwing a tantrum for more than 1 hour. Or provider is not able to control the tantrum and properly care for the other children.

You have to be really careful with this, as some children will see it as a way to go home.
cheerfuldom 09:20 AM 03-30-2011
I have an excessive crying rule. One hour and they go home. If it becomes a long term problem (a month or more), I put the family on probation meaning something has to change or they will be let go. The few cryers I had never did grow out of it and I am just over trying to make kids happy if they really are not. If hes not napping and keeping everyone up and wreaking havoc on the whole day than I would let him go.
daycare 09:24 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by Sunny Day:
If a child is having ridiculous temper tanturms (the little boy I've posted about previously is at it AGAIN), I'm talking 2-3 hour long fits, always during nap time. Do you just give up and call the parents to pick them up or do you put up with it? This is EXCESSIVE!!!!
how long has the child been in your care? I think that it is normal for a child to act up until they are adjusted to the DC schedule, provider and DCK.
Meyou 09:27 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

You have to be really careful with this, as some children will see it as a way to go home.
My tantrum girl would for sure. She's always looking for an escape route...from nap, from toy pickup and to go home. lol Just yesterday my bf was home sick so at naptime she was whispering from her bed, "I done. up dude. Help dude help. dcg all done" They all call him dude and love him to death.
nannyde 09:27 AM 03-30-2011
I wouldn't have allowed it to go on that long. About fifteen minutes would be my max.

I would call the parents and tell them the other children are upset so he must go.
Sunny Day 09:41 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
how long has the child been in your care? I think that it is normal for a child to act up until they are adjusted to the DC schedule, provider and DCK.
He's been in my care for TWO years. There is some stuff going on at his home and these tantrums have been going on pretty much steady since Christmas! He is 3 years old.
Cat Herder 09:43 AM 03-30-2011
I have a 4 hour tantrum policy.

In 17 years only one child has forced me to use it.

Truth be told, after 4 straight/non-stop hours of screaming, rolling, spitting, kicking walls, undressing and pulling out their own hair after being met with the word NO, I no longer CARED if this child was learning that is how to get to go home. I have 5 other kids who need me, as well.

I am sure the "I am right and you are wrong police" will swoop in pretty quick here so I will say that my policy also includes recommendations of contacting your ped, screening services offered by our local CCRR and a list of local child psychologists/family counselors and dietitians. They sign this BEFORE they even start care here.

I document everything eaten before hand, events leading up to event, length of tantrum, dates and everything else in my power to isolate the issue at hand.

I schedule conferences, call/email parents, even use my camera to video and email it to parents to view for themselves. I work hard on disciplinary plans with parents so we are a team with issues like this. I am not a one sided person.

All that said, the above child was referred to as "Mr." and "Sir" and everything that entails at home. You cannot fix Mothers guilt....only the Mother can and this child is now home with her as she wanted all along....
cheerfuldom 09:45 AM 03-30-2011
thats WAY more documenting than I would ever do. I just send them home (for the day or permanently) and thats that.
Cat Herder 09:53 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
thats WAY more documenting than I would ever do. I just send them home (for the day or permanently) and thats that.
I feel you, I do.

I am in a state that would come visit me often to "assist" me in learning how to "better serve my families".

I pick my battles very, very carefully.....
cheerfuldom 10:11 AM 03-30-2011
oh yeah, that makes a difference. I am not licensed at this time due to being under the max number for unlicensed daycares.
happykidschildcare 01:09 PM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I wouldn't have allowed it to go on that long. About fifteen minutes would be my max.

I would call the parents and tell them the other children are upset so he must go.
Curious...after 15 minutes and if they are still throwing a fit, what then?
nannyde 01:15 PM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
Curious...after 15 minutes and if they are still throwing a fit, what then?
This child: having ridiculous temper tanturms (the little boy I've posted about previously is at it AGAIN), I'm talking 2-3 hour long fits, always during nap time.

Go with their parents.

If I had a kid that could and would tantrum for three hours... his parents would be called at the fifteen minute mark. If they couldn't get him settled down over the phone they would come and get him.

I don't play that. I'm not going to allow a kid to take over my house with "rediculous temper tantrums".
Tags:phone parents, tantrums
Reply Up