Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 AM
cillybean83's Avatar
cillybean83 cillybean83 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 543
Default How Long Do You Wait?

I just had an interview last night, and I have another today at noon. The one last night seemed to go well, but at the end of the interview she didn't sign, she said thanks and I'll get back to you soon...which is fine I don't want to make anyone feel pressured into signing, but I'm curious as to how long I should wait to hear back from her and is there anything I could do to kind of *encourage* parents to make a decision during the interview or very shortly there after? I just don't want to schedule interviews then here back from these people that they want to start, then have to cancel the interviews I had set up, kwim?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Sunny Day's Avatar
Sunny Day Sunny Day is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 122
Default

If I have numerous interviews, I let the parent(s) know when they're interviewing that I am "taking applications" Then I take the lead by saying, I will let you know once I'm done my interviewing and if you're interested we can sign papers and begin a trial period. That way, I'm in control of what families I take on. Good luck though, it can be tricky!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 AM
dEHmom's Avatar
dEHmom dEHmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada EH
Posts: 2,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
If I have numerous interviews, I let the parent(s) know when they're interviewing that I am "taking applications" Then I take the lead by saying, I will let you know once I'm done my interviewing and if you're interested we can sign papers and begin a trial period. That way, I'm in control of what families I take on. Good luck though, it can be tricky!
OOOh I really like this idea!
Normally, I be a little sneaky, and email them, or just let them know several times through the interview process that I have other interviews scheduled. Should a family decide to place a deposit on one of the interviews, or after, then the spot will be filled. I also let them know, I will advise them if anyone plans on placing a deposit so they have the opportunity to decide. I know I'm bad.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
If I have numerous interviews, I let the parent(s) know when they're interviewing that I am "taking applications" Then I take the lead by saying, I will let you know once I'm done my interviewing and if you're interested we can sign papers and begin a trial period. That way, I'm in control of what families I take on. Good luck though, it can be tricky!
That is the same approach I take. At the end of the interview I usually say something like "I will be doing my last interview for this space on ____day and I will call you on ____day (usually within 3 days of interview) to discuss with you our next step. Please take the time to discuss with your family any questions you may have and feel free to call me any time with those questions. I look forward to speaking with you on ___day. Thank you."

That way I get a chance to decide if I want them in my program as well as them getting a chance to decide if the program is right for them.
I used to look at it like they were interviewing me, but then I realized I am interviewing them just as much, if not more, since I am inviting them to be in my home. Funny how changing how you view things really changes the whole thing because since then I have gotten really good families and have very little issues overall.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:51 AM
cillybean83's Avatar
cillybean83 cillybean83 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 543
Default

both of the kids (last nights interview and todays) would start March 28th so I ask for a deposit of 1/2 the first weeks tuition to hold the spot, then the first week they actually begin they would pay their 2 week deposit and the other 1/2 of the first weeks tuition....I just like to have a little bit of security when I'm holding onto a spot that long, kwim?

I just don't know how to kind of "put them on the spot" to make a decision either way without sounding like a used car salesman!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 AM
KEG123's Avatar
KEG123 KEG123 is offline
Where Children Grow
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,254
Default

I plan to call my potential family on Monday. Their interview was Tues. I might be having an interview today or tomorrow, but I can take them both.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM
littlemissmuffet's Avatar
littlemissmuffet littlemissmuffet is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,081
Default

If I have no other interviews scheduled, I give 24 hours from the end of the interview to decide. If I do have other interviews scheduled, I tell them that they have 3 hours before my next scheduled interview to decide... i.e. if I am interviewing at 8pm Friday night and have an interview scheduled at noon on Saturday I tell them that I need to know their decision by 9am Saturday morning, and also require the holding fee that day as well.
Every single interview I have ever done resulted in the parents signing and providing the holding fee right then and there.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM
lvt77's Avatar
lvt77 lvt77 is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: boonies
Posts: 604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillybean83 View Post
both of the kids (last nights interview and todays) would start March 28th so I ask for a deposit of 1/2 the first weeks tuition to hold the spot, then the first week they actually begin they would pay their 2 week deposit and the other 1/2 of the first weeks tuition....I just like to have a little bit of security when I'm holding onto a spot that long, kwim?

I just don't know how to kind of "put them on the spot" to make a decision either way without sounding like a used car salesman!
Since they are already gone, why dont you give it a day and then place a call thanking them for their time and considering your program. Let them know that if they have any questions that you are open to talk at any time... Or suggested time. Some times when I call the next day I inform them that since they were the first people to interview for the spot that I wanted to be fair and offer it to them, as I have several other applicants waiting for this spot. This has always gotten me an answer right away.

I usually ask for their email address when they come to interview, and then send them a nice email thanking them for their time, letting them know that I know that they have many choices and that I appreciate them taking the time to consider my program. I also talk about that I understand how important it is to Shop around to find the best place for their most important person in their life. Just a nice letter to thank them, as well as inform them that there are other people looking at the same spot. However, without that salesman pressure approach..

Hope this helps some..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM
JenNJ's Avatar
JenNJ JenNJ is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,203
Default

I would write a "Thank You" email stating how nice it was to meet them and Junior and that you will be finished interviewing on X day and you will let them know when the spot is taken if it happens before X day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2011, 08:40 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,300
Default

I don't ever call them back.

I do three interviews. If I like them they get a second one. Once they leave the first one I don't think of them at all unless I decide NOT to take them. If I decide to give them another interview then I decide that and then forget them.

I tell the ones I like that they need to phone me within two weeks if they would like a second interview. Sometimes they schedule that right away and sometimes they call a week or so later.

One of my best clients called me two weeks after the first interview. It was worth the wait.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 AM
snbauser's Avatar
snbauser snbauser is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385
Default

I tell them during the interview that I continue to advertise and interview until I have the deposit and the required paperwork back. Then the spot is reserved for them but not until then.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Little People
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This is in my handbook and I always cover this with them:

Enrollment Requirements
Please keep in mind that enrollment is on a first come first serve basis and there is no guarantee that I can hold a spot open for your child. Openings are considered open till Provider accepts child/children and Parents Pay First Week Payment. Sometimes ******XX has more than one parent interview scheduled for an opening. Then ***XXwill call each parent and let them know which child has been accepted.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

Whomever signs the contract first!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Long Do We Keep Stuff? Blackcat31 Daycare and Taxes 6 08-28-2012 07:13 AM
How Long Should I Wait? mrsp'slilpeeps Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 06-25-2012 02:41 PM
How Long Do I Have to Wait? safechner Daycare and Taxes 3 02-26-2011 09:05 PM
Not Sure What To Do (Sorry!! Very Long) Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 02-24-2011 06:38 PM
How Long to Wait to Call Again? sahm2three Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 57 06-28-2010 08:55 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming