Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCK Is A Biter :(
SunflowerMama 06:10 AM 08-24-2011
I started a new 21 month old dcb last week and he's bitten the same little boy twice now.

We've never had anyone get bitten until this .

We're still in the trial period so I'm just wondering what others do with biters.

She made some comments in the interview about biting which I thought was weird because people usually don't just bring that up but I just brushed it off.

He's so sweet and I love his parents so it's just sad to see.
wdmmom 08:10 AM 08-24-2011
I would tell DCM that with being on a trial period and he has biten twice, 1 more time and it's a one way trip out the door!
safechner 09:03 AM 08-24-2011
Wow.. I would separate him from his group for a while until he learns not to bite. That is what I did to my daycare kids in the past. It works very well. If it doesn't work for you and I will take him to work with him since we live in the same town.
cheerfuldom 10:06 AM 08-24-2011
sounds like he was a biter in the past and i bet the previous daycare did try and work with him so I personally would term. I have too many little ones here to shadow one constantly for however long it might take to get him past this and it is just too much work to keep kids separated constantly. For me, if they can't fit in the group, they don't belong here.
thecrazyisout 10:24 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I would tell DCM that with being on a trial period and he has biten twice, 1 more time and it's a one way trip out the door!
I have to disagree with this.....Sorry, but children that young are not biting out of resentment towards someone..they have a lack of communication which they are trying to hurdle. So, I would not agree that you should term a child for this unless you are unwilling to work with the child. They will learn that biting doesn't happen at your house. I would keep the child away from others unless you are directly supervising them. I have had a biter (same age), before and it is a product of supervision at times. She/He will try to do it because they don't know how to communicate something to the other child like "don't do that, or, I want that, or MINE" Instead they bite. So, us as caregivers should be in direct supervision of these chidlren since they are so young. The biter I have has bitten twice, and it was because I trusted her too much. She has now learned to not bite (MY SON WAS THE PRODUCT OF HER FRUSTRATION; he is her age), and it though temptation has dwindled away with her language development...I hope this helps@

Thanks
erinalexmom 10:33 AM 08-24-2011
so thecrazyisout lets say you were making lunch or something then would you strap her in a highchair away from the others or put her in a pack n play or how would you make sure she was seperated? Today the story lady from the library called me and I had one bite (the victim was my own child thankfully) I REALLY dont want to lose this little guy! He is a physical retaliator though and I am not sure how to get him to stop. He is ALWAYS hitting biting kicking! The other kids are getting sick of it and I dont want parents to pull thier kids. I also really like this child and family and I want to keep them so I have to have a good solution......
Sorry to hijack
thecrazyisout 10:50 AM 08-24-2011
Yes, I would put her in the highchair with me in the kitchen and give her cooking supplies (spoon, bowl measuring spoons etc,) and have her help me cook lunch.....This give her a little of one on one time with me and in the end all of the children are safe. During this time, I would talk to her and have her try to work on her words....like saying spoon, etc. She is very verbal, and literally a child where when she began trying to talk, she would try a whole sentance and that is where she would get frustrated, then bite. So, this helped a lot.
erinalexmom 11:03 AM 08-24-2011
Thank you so much! I want to do what is best for everyone. I thought Icould trust him but I was wrong so we'll keep him with me and see how that goes.
thecrazyisout 02:13 PM 08-24-2011
After time, they also realize that it isn't as much fun to be up with you and start making the connection that physical retaliation = time away from play with the other kids. This won't happen until they are finished with parallel play and ready to play with others.good luck and update us!
Auntie 02:25 PM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I wonder if this is why they were looking for daycare?
Tags:biter
Reply Up