Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pennsylvania Family Child Care (?)
jseg048 07:00 AM 01-03-2012
Hi all,
In June of this year I plan on providing child care in my home to two unrelated children. I have 2 children of my own (3 year old and infant). So, I would be watching a total of 4 children: 2 unrelated and 2 realted.

I have read the Pennsylvania law/code for family child care centers and it states that a 'family child care center' is defined as "care for four, five or six unrelated children".

I think I know the answer to this already but I want to be 1000% sure before I get myself into any trouble ... Can I legally watch 2 unrelated children without a license? What's throwing me is the fact that I will be watching, in total, 4 children although 2 will be unrelated to me.

Again, I have already read the link that was provided in the Sticky post...it just left me a little confused.

Thanks for any help!
melissa ann 02:23 PM 01-03-2012
We are allowed to have 3 children unrelated to us. I'm not sure of the age ratios though. I never had more than one infant at a time.
jseg048 03:59 PM 01-03-2012
Thanks for the reply! So I can legally care for up to 3unrelated PLUS my own two?
melissa ann 04:59 AM 01-04-2012
That's what I was told from CCIS. Which does subsidy for low income families. I acceptetd that for a short time. Anyway, even though I was not licensed, I could still accept subsidy. But, back to your question, I had 3 unrelated children in my care, as well as my own two and was told that was fine.
jseg048 07:53 AM 01-04-2012
Thanks so much...that's what I was thinking, I just wanted to be sure.
Tags:pennsylvania, ratio
Reply Up