Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worried About Termination
littlelionspreschool 11:43 AM 02-26-2015
Hi everyone,
I have recently had a big problem with one family in my care (custody issues and now issues with being dishonest about illnesses). I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on termination? I have only terminated one other family due to an incident involving multiple bitings and inappropriate behaviors. That termination went horribly....parents were furious and threatened me multiple times. I just don't want this termination to go the same way. I'm sure the last family I terminated bad mouthed me around town and I am afraid this mother will too. She is very vocal about her opinions and posts a lot of drama on Facebook as well. I just don't want her to ruin my good business reputation especially when I will be having 6 spots open at the end of summer (kids going to Kindergarten). Am I able to have her sign some kind of contract stating she will not slander my business? I honestly don't know if she would even sign it if I asked her too. I don't know what to do!!!
Shell 11:53 AM 02-26-2015
I know it's not a popular opinion, as most folks prefer to be more straightforward, but I find you need to make up a good excuse.
Think about something that is non-negotiable for them (hours, days, only accepting full time, whatever), and let them know you need to make (x) change by (x) date. That way, they "know" the real reason, but you didn't say it, and they can't get mad.
The other approach is to be honest and deal with the backlash. People that break rules like this often break rules all over, and no one will be surprised.

I prefer the first method- give them the excuse, two weeks notice, and move on.
laundrymom 11:54 AM 02-26-2015
This is One reason we try to make it seem "better for their child" to move on. Good luck.
Somewhere there's a locks and keys description of.providers and kids. My breaks almost over so I can't search for it, but I wish you good luck. Terms are never easy.
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by littlelionspreschool:
Hi everyone,
I have recently had a big problem with one family in my care (custody issues and now issues with being dishonest about illnesses). I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on termination? I have only terminated one other family due to an incident involving multiple bitings and inappropriate behaviors. That termination went horribly....parents were furious and threatened me multiple times. I just don't want this termination to go the same way. I'm sure the last family I terminated bad mouthed me around town and I am afraid this mother will too. She is very vocal about her opinions and posts a lot of drama on Facebook as well. I just don't want her to ruin my good business reputation especially when I will be having 6 spots open at the end of summer (kids going to Kindergarten). Am I able to have her sign some kind of contract stating she will not slander my business? I honestly don't know if she would even sign it if I asked her too. I don't know what to do!!!
Any of these issues "fixable" so that care doesn't need to be terminated?

If not and you do terminate, the best thing to do is e-mail your licensor and give her a run down of the situation. Most the time if parents try to report you (even if untrue) the head's up to your licensor will save you a lot of trouble later.

I doubt you could have her sign anything but even if she didn't and slandered you, you could possibly threaten her with legal action if she does not cease and desist.

Otherwise, if she is merely the gossipy drama type person I've found that in my experience others rarely listen to those types and the ones who do are the types of clients you don't want anyways...kwim?
mommyneedsadayoff 12:09 PM 02-26-2015
I would keep it simple and do it on a friday. "I have experienced a change in my family/business life and will no longer be able to provide care for dck as of (date). You can bring them the next two weeks while you look for other care, or I can gather their belongings for you to take home today (I would have stuff gathered and ready to go). Leave it at that and if she pushes, just stick with simple. Yo don't have to explain yourself and it is best to not go into detail anyway. They get defensive and then it can turn ugly
Play Care 12:14 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I would keep it simple and do it on a friday. "I have experienced a change in my family/business life and will no longer be able to provide care for dck as of (date). You can bring them the next two weeks while you look for other care, or I can gather their belongings for you to take home today (I would have stuff gathered and ready to go). Leave it at that and if she pushes, just stick with simple. Yo don't have to explain yourself and it is best to not go into detail anyway. They get defensive and then it can turn ugly
This.
hope 12:29 PM 02-26-2015
BC is right! The dcm is doing you a favor by making sure none of her friends work with you. Would you want to watch this ladies best friends kid?

And making up an acceptable excuse is best IF you can convince her of it. Don't get caught in the lie. That truly is bad for business. Keep it simple and don't elaborate.

Good luck!
Josiegirl 03:21 PM 02-26-2015
Your written termination notice:
As of 3/10/2015, lalala child care will no longer be able to provide child care for your child. I feel it is no longer the best fit for your child.

Them: Are you kidding me? Why??
You: This child care is no longer the best fit for your child.
Them: But why?? What happened??
Them: Just tell me what happened, I have a right to know!!

Simple, true, cut and dry, doesn't leave any wiggle space for manipulation or negotiation. And you do NOT need to add anything else.
Unregistered 03:37 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I know it's not a popular opinion, as most folks prefer to be more straightforward, but I find you need to make up a good excuse.
Think about something that is non-negotiable for them (hours, days, only accepting full time, whatever), and let them know you need to make (x) change by (x) date. That way, they "know" the real reason, but you didn't say it, and they can't get mad.
The other approach is to be honest and deal with the backlash. People that break rules like this often break rules all over, and no one will be surprised.

I prefer the first method- give them the excuse, two weeks notice, and move on.
I agree.
littlelionspreschool 04:30 AM 02-27-2015
I just feel bad because I know it's not in the best interest of the child to be terminated. This is her only stability, but I just can't handle dealing with the parents any more. I have had to be on the phone with the CDC, nurse hotline, Dept of Human Services, Dept of Health, etc. trying to figure out how I can get the answers on medical issues that the mother is withholding. Her and her child have some illness and all I know about it is some of the symptoms and that it is very contagious. Mom won't say what it is and won't let the Dad take the kid either. There is a lot of custody issues with this family that we have been put in the middle of, so the medical and custody issues would be my reason for having to terminate. I mean, the emotional stress has started to affect my ability to teach and care for the other kids. In the back of my mind I'm constantly wondering if one of the parents is going to show up, call, of text with more issues for me to have to deal with. I don't like being the middle man in this situation!
Unregistered 05:48 AM 02-27-2015
I would have termed the minute she had an illness and refused to tell you about it. You should not have to go digging around for information. If she won't tell you, then buy-bye! Too much work and you need to feel good about your job, so worry about your self and what makes you happy and let the mom do what she is suppose to do and provide the stability. Sorry you are in this situtaion and best of luck to you!
littlelionspreschool 12:10 PM 02-27-2015
All my kids are napping so I thought I'd come back and respond.....I honestly just held out in the hopes that the mom would be forthcoming so I knew what was going on. It is clear to me now that the mother has no intention of telling me what the illness is. I am going to have to terminate. The parents haven't been here with the child all week (because I wouldn't allow her to come with an unknown illness), so how should I go about terminating? Send a letter in the mail? Call? I really don't want the parents to show up Monday thinking it's OK to bring the child back. I don't think a letter in the mail would get to her before Monday even though she lives in town. I don't really want to see her face to face when she's more than likely still contagious. This is a mess!
Play Care 12:14 PM 02-27-2015
All my kids are napping so I thought I'd come back and respond.....I honestly just held out in the hopes that the mom would be forthcoming so I knew what was going on. It is clear to me now that the mother has no intention of telling me what the illness is. I am going to have to terminate. The parents haven't been here with the child all week (because I wouldn't allow her to come with an unknown illness), so how should I go about terminating? Send a letter in the mail? Call? I really don't want the parents to show up Monday thinking it's OK to bring the child back. I don't think a letter in the mail would get to her before Monday even though she lives in town. I don't really want to see her face to face when she's more than likely still contagious. This is a mess!
Do you email? You can always send an email and then print it out and send snail mail to follow up.
littlelionspreschool 12:28 PM 02-27-2015
No that is something I should probably start with parents though. Most parents contact me through texts/phone calls during the day and either text/Facebook messages after business hours. I would just like to "drop the bomb" in writing first before having to talk to the parent directly. I was reading on another thread not to state specific reasons for termination in the letter. I had planned on doing that, but now I think I will keep it very general for now. No matter how I do it, the mom is going to be furious and end up calling me, but maybe if she has a written notice she will not be as defensive as if I just call and tell her? I wish I could write in the termination letter to e-mail with any other questions of comments so I can have documentation of what she is saying. I'm sure there will be many angry words spoken from her. Last termination I did was about two years ago and did it face to face and was threatened on multiple occasions by both parents.
Unregistered 12:38 PM 02-27-2015
I know it sucks to call, but ti may be your best bet, because then you know she will have received the message and everything is on the table. Just text her and say "I need to talk to you about daycare, can you call me when you get time?". If she doesn't call or respond, then call her. If she makes no attempts to call you back, then text or FB the termination, and make it clear you will not be providing services on Monday or from here on out. Keep it simple. If you talk on the phone to her, just tell her, "Due to some changes in my personal life/business, I cannot watch dck anymore and will not be able to provide care for next week. I am sorry for the inconvenience and will send referrals your way to help you find other care." If she pushes, stick with the script! No details and don't let her bait you! If she does and it feels like it is going to get ugly, just say, you are sorry but you need to tend to your family and best wishes to you! BYE! Personally, if you fear she would come to your house and cause problems, it is best to keep another adult present if you can or at least be prepared for confrontation with your phone nearby if necessary. I would not let her back in my home again, though. The business relationship is over and she no longer has any right to be on your property, so make sure you stand your ground. Good luck!
Play Care 12:41 PM 02-27-2015
I used to think face to face was the way to go. I'm not shrinking violet and can handle some flack. But last year I had to let a family go and mom lost her mind in my foyer. It was upsetting for everyone who saw it - including other day care kids and my own kids...

My new policy is that I do it in writing - be it email or letter or even text - the last I would make sure you keep simple "I am no longer able to provide care for your family as of today. Will send a formal letter." This gives them some time to deal with the information. Not sure if it will help, as I haven't had to use it yet. But it's my plan and I'm sticking to it
Unregistered 12:45 PM 02-27-2015
Maybe she won't pay you since she has been gone all week and you could terminate for that?
Thriftylady 03:52 PM 02-27-2015
I would text it tonight, follow up with a letter. And since you are doing it suddenly, I may just be willing to send any deposit back with the letter, so that she can't claim you cheated here. I would send all that in a way I got proof she got it.
hope 06:31 PM 02-27-2015
I don't normally email parents but i do have their email address included in my paperwork. I have termed once where i had to send an email and then text them to check their email. I then mailed through post office a hard copy along with their belongings. Its not ideal but it takes face to face out of the equation. Of you don't have their email just text asking for it.
littlelionspreschool 09:36 AM 02-28-2015
I sent the termination letter in the mail yesterday. I haven't heard anything yet from either parent, but I am sure I will sometime this weekend. I'm hoping the mom doesn't just show up with the kid on Monday because that will break the little girls heart to be told she can't stay.

Here's my letter I sent.....
After much consideration, we have decided that we are not willing to continue to provide care for xxxxx. We feel it would be in everyone's best interest to terminate our agreement for preschool and child care services, effectively immediately.

Please understand this was not an easy decision, but is what is best for all parties involved. It is also non-negotiable and not open to further discussion. We really appreciate your understanding with this matter and are sad that we will have to part ways, as we have grown to love xxxxxx like our own.

This termination letter has been sent to both parents. Thank you for your understanding in this difficult situation.

I decided to keep it short and sweet in hopes to not upset the parent any more than she already will be. The dad I think will understand, but the mom will be mad for sure. Wish me luck!
Thriftylady 09:39 AM 02-28-2015
Hopefully it will all work out. Do you live in a place where she may get the letter today? I know some places you can get it that fast and others not so much. Hopefully they will and you just won't hear from mom again.
littlelionspreschool 10:03 AM 02-28-2015
Yes, the postal worker said she will get it today if she checks her mail. I'm just worried she will read it and just show up Monday morning anyway. Then what do I do?!
Thriftylady 10:13 AM 02-28-2015
Yes, the postal worker said she will get it today if she checks her mail. I'm just worried she will read it and just show up Monday morning anyway. Then what do I do?!
Good question! I guess hand her a copy of the letter and tell her she should have received it in the mail?
TheGoodLife 10:22 AM 02-28-2015
I would follow Up with a text, just to make sure she received it.
littlelionspreschool 10:52 AM 03-01-2015
Both parents know, because both have texted me. The dad was understanding but the mom has asked me to send all records in the mail tomorrow. She then told me thank you for emotionally damaging her child and that she believes I discriminated against her. Don't know if I should reply to that or not. She didn't necessarily ask me anything to need a reply. It seems more like she is trying to bait me into saying things. If they don't call me, am I required to say anything???? Here is part of my contract which I hope covers my butt in this situation if she contacts my licensor.

Termination after the Trial Period
After the two week trial period has been completed, you must give me one month’s written notice if you wish to terminate this contract. I may terminate the contract at will, without giving any notice.
Annalee 01:42 PM 03-01-2015
I would not converse with them anymore. Let your licensor know what has happened and document for your records. Short and sweet is always best. I have been on the other end of this and received cursing, name-calling, etc thru text. If this happens, just save for documentation but DO NOT RESPOND.. In my opinion, silence can be golden in this situation. Good luck!
Unregistered 02:02 PM 03-01-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I would not converse with them anymore. Let your licensor know what has happened and document for your records. Short and sweet is always best. I have been on the other end of this and received cursing, name-calling, etc thru text. If this happens, just save for documentation but DO NOT RESPOND.. In my opinion, silence can be golden in this situation. Good luck!
Yes. Please don't take the bait. Nothing more to be said, really.
Thriftylady 02:11 PM 03-01-2015
I wouldn't respond, I also wouldn't send any records.
littlelionspreschool 03:01 PM 03-01-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I wouldn't respond, I also wouldn't send any records.
If I don't send any records, can she do anything legally? She is one that I could see filing some kind of claim against me. I was just at a training the other night and I think the trainee said we are required to give back any records or documentation if the parent asks for it. I might have to ask my licensor tomorrow.
Second Home 04:58 PM 03-01-2015
I must keep records for 2 years after a child leaves my care per my regs. But if a parent requests their childs records then I make copies of the medical forms only and send to the parent . All other paperwork ( contract, policies, etc...) were given at the beginning of care .
sharlan 06:12 PM 03-01-2015
Have no further contact.

Check with you licensing agency as you probably have to keep your records for a certain period of time. At one time, CA's was 5 years or so. I don't remember exactly what it is now.
littlelionspreschool 04:18 AM 03-02-2015
I plan on contracting my licensor this morning. Hopefully she can give me some advice!!
Thriftylady 04:33 AM 03-02-2015
I plan on contracting my licensor this morning. Hopefully she can give me some advice!!
I guess that is a good plan. I have never had a parent ask for anything other than I give them at enrollment. My concern would be that she is looking for something in the records to use against you.
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 03-02-2015
If I don't send any records, can she do anything legally? She is one that I could see filing some kind of claim against me. I was just at a training the other night and I think the trainee said we are required to give back any records or documentation if the parent asks for it. I might have to ask my licensor tomorrow.
What records?

She has NO right to any of the records we are required to keep on file for the child. We must keep them for I think 7 years after the child is no longer in our care so I am confused about what records she thinks you should send her?

I also agree with others...do not have nay further contact with her. If she calls your licensor requesting records, the licensor will tell her they are not her records to have.
littlelionspreschool 03:35 PM 03-03-2015
So the mom continues to text me....now she is telling me "since her child did nothing wrong" if we would do something to help her with closure. The mom said she took her daughter to the psychiatrist and they said she should have a "graduation" ceremony.....umm what?! Why would I go out of my way to see the family again (awkward!) and have a fake graduation ceremony for this poor child?! I would guess that over a week of not seeing us, the kid is probably pretty sad, but seeing us one more time isn't going to make her feel any better! If anything it would make her more sad to see us and know it's her last time. I didn't respond to any of the messages but I would love to text the mom and say the psychiatrist is nuts! You don't rub salt in a wound...."Hey xxxx, here are your friends and teachers you won't be seeing again. Happy "graduation"."
Thriftylady 03:47 PM 03-03-2015
Oh I so would not be doing a "graduation ceremony". The whole thought of it ticks me off. When my kids left 8th grade for high school they had a "graduation ceremonty" THREE hours long and every kid walked and every kid got some award most of them were stupid. UM you didn't graduate yet, you went to middle school like you are supposed to do!

Oops sorry that turned into kind of a rant didn't it? You owe them nothing, and I feel sorry for this little girl because her mom is giving her the wrong picture of life and how real life is.
Josiegirl 03:48 PM 03-03-2015
Wow, the psychiatrist sounds as nuts as dcm. Was she making that up? I don't give dcks anything like a ceremony to kick 'em out. The 2 dcfs I had to terminate I said bye. That's closure right?
I wouldn't respond to anything she says at all. Did you call licensing for advice?
laundrymom 03:51 PM 03-03-2015
So the mom continues to text me....now she is telling me "since her child did nothing wrong" if we would do something to help her with closure. The mom said she took her daughter to the psychiatrist and they said she should have a "graduation" ceremony.....umm what?! Why would I go out of my way to see the family again (awkward!) and have a fake graduation ceremony for this poor child?! I would guess that over a week of not seeing us, the kid is probably pretty sad, but seeing us one more time isn't going to make her feel any better! If anything it would make her more sad to see us and know it's her last time. I didn't respond to any of the messages but I would love to text the mom and say the psychiatrist is nuts! You don't rub salt in a wound...."Hey xxxx, here are your friends and teachers you won't be seeing again. Happy "graduation"."
Kids are resilient. And from the sounds of things, they have more issues than were created by you finally standing up to them. I wouldn't respond.
sharlan 04:04 PM 03-03-2015
I really doubt a psychiatrist suggested a "graduation ceremony". More like dcm wants more of your attention.

Stop all communication and don't respond to anything from dcm. Block her if you can.
Controlled Chaos 10:01 PM 03-03-2015
I had a dcm ask me to organize a graduation ceremony for her son too recently It was a amicable term, but I was not going to put a whole bunch of work into a fake event. I made dcb a sweet goodbye card, but a graduation You've got to be kidding me!
Unregistered 08:33 AM 03-04-2015
OMG that is so funny! I would block her number if you can and try to avoid contact. She just wants an excuse to get face to face with you, so don't give her the opportunity.
KiddieCahoots 09:26 AM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OMG that is so funny! I would block her number if you can and try to avoid contact. She just wants an excuse to get face to face with you, so don't give her the opportunity.
This^^^ I really hope she isn't voicing this with dcg. That's what would be dragging it out for her.....dcm's inability to keep the drama at bay.
Unregistered 09:59 AM 03-04-2015
I agree. Sounds like she is trying to rope you back in to control the outcome and have the last word. She's behaving like a jilted ex. Good job ignoring her.
Unregistered 01:58 PM 03-11-2015
I don't know, it kind of feels like if the parent is suggesting a graduation ceremony for their child, they are trying to look out for their kids feelings. An older child probably would be confused and bamboozled by a sudden change in care and although a graduation ceremony is not possible (1. it's not what normally happens 2. under these circumstances the chance of drama is too high) but it doesn't seem unreasonable to do something to offer closure to the kid. Maybe tell the parent, "We aren't able to hold ceremonies for our friends who are moving on, but we'd love to present xxxx with a book signed by all our friends and teachers, I'll pop it in the mail next week." That way you show you're trying to meet them halfway so she can't complain about the way you handled it, you are giving the child support, but you don't have to see them again.
Gemma 05:38 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I really doubt a psychiatrist suggested a "graduation ceremony". More like dcm wants more of your attention.

Stop all communication and don't respond to anything from dcm. Block her if you can.
this
littlelionspreschool 05:48 AM 03-14-2015
I think I am on the homestretch of this drama filled mess. Now the parent drives by our house randomly which is creepy, but not a terribly big deal since she hasn't stopped yet. Her attorney mailed me a letter stating I needed to mail her progress reports. I told the attorney she received them at conference time and was told "they were lost or destroyed" so she needed another copy. Well that's not my problem, but I gave her another copy of them anyway!

The hardest part is the parents asking a million questions about the family. They obviously don't know for sure that I terminated the family, but they have heard "hearsay" from the dad's friends or have been told by the dad that they were "kicked out". Then I have them asking if they were terminated to which I have to basically avoid the subject for privacy reasons. I just say....well I haven't spoken to them in a few weeks so I don't know what is going on with them at this point and time.
laundrymom 09:34 AM 03-14-2015
"They are no longer enrolled" is how I respond.

And as for me, I keep all observations reports in my possession. The only things I ever return are items like clothes, diapers, etc. Things they've purchased. I tell them when I hand them contract to fill out, "make sure you make copies of this if you want them. I do not offer that service."
At termination day they get the stuff in their cubby and a great big smile as they walk out the door.
I have in my contract that I keep belongings for 5days following termination date, so if they don't take them with them or aren't attending at that time, I donate or trash their belongings on that fifth day.
I think I am on the homestretch of this drama filled mess. Now the parent drives by our house randomly which is creepy, but not a terribly big deal since she hasn't stopped yet. Her attorney mailed me a letter stating I needed to mail her progress reports. I told the attorney she received them at conference time and was told "they were lost or destroyed" so she needed another copy. Well that's not my problem, but I gave her another copy of them anyway!

The hardest part is the parents asking a million questions about the family. They obviously don't know for sure that I terminated the family, but they have heard "hearsay" from the dad's friends or have been told by the dad that they were "kicked out". Then I have them asking if they were terminated to which I have to basically avoid the subject for privacy reasons. I just say....well I haven't spoken to them in a few weeks so I don't know what is going on with them at this point and time.

Shell 07:46 PM 03-14-2015

Do you think she's trying to sue you for discrimination, and needs the progress reports to "back up" her claims?

Just a thought- I can be a paranoid person.

Her driving by is creepy- she seems a little obsessed with being termed- hopefully she finds some other drama to occupy her time and leaves you alone!

Parents like this are the reason why I always make up an excuse for terming- parents can be crazy!
littlelionspreschool 07:00 AM 03-15-2015
I e-mailed Tom Copeland the details of the term and events after and he said there was nothing I did to discriminate.

It's not like she didn't have the forms to begin with, so I just gave her new copies since her lawyer was involved. I was worried what would happen if I didn't send them!

I just had to send the dad an insufficient funds letter telling him to mail me a money order so I know I will get the money this time. If I don't hear from him, does it cost money to take him to small claims court? It's for $140, so if it costs a lot to take him to small claims court, I'll just have to be out the money.
littlelionspreschool 07:02 AM 03-15-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Parents like this are the reason why I always make up an excuse for terming- parents can be crazy!
Tom said not to give a written reason for term since I didn't see them in person after terminating. I'm sure they would use that for some kind of discrimination case if I gave a reasoning.....and I agree: parents can be CRAZY!
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 03-15-2015

I just had to send the dad an insufficient funds letter telling him to mail me a money order so I know I will get the money this time. If I don't hear from him, does it cost money to take him to small claims court? It's for $140, so if it costs a lot to take him to small claims court, I'll just have to be out the money.
Is the insufficient fund due to an NSF check that he wrote?

If so, you can collect that easier than going through small claims court.

However if you choose to go through small claims it does cost (approx $45 in my county) but the person who loses has to pay that fee so if you pay it to file and DCD loses, he would owe that fee in addition to what he already owes

If the money due was from a bounced check, I woukd also add late fees (as payment is technically late) and a returned check fee which is anywhere from $20-35 in MN and you have a right to collect that when some one writes you a check that is not honored by their bank.
CraftyMom 09:20 AM 03-15-2015
Reading this now for the first time.

So this mom and little girl had some unknown contagious illness that they refused to tell you the details of...including what it was? I would not have let them in my house another second beyond that. They can sue me for discrimination all they want, but I would not have my entire home and all the other kids exposed to something that I don't even have any details of. If she really wanted her kid to be there so badly all she had to do was tell you about the illness and let you make the decision if the child could attend.
littlelionspreschool 10:31 AM 03-15-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is the insufficient fund due to an NSF check that he wrote?

If so, you can collect that easier than going through small claims court.

However if you choose to go through small claims it does cost (approx $45 in my county) but the person who loses has to pay that fee so if you pay it to file and DCD loses, he would owe that fee in addition to what he already owes

If the money due was from a bounced check, I woukd also add late fees (as payment is technically late) and a returned check fee which is anywhere from $20-35 in MN and you have a right to collect that when some one writes you a check that is not honored by their bank.

His check bounced. He owed $120 and I charge a $20 bounced check fee. I waited a week after I got my bank letter that his checked bounced to see if he would send me the money in the mail, but he did not. I asked in the letter I am going to mail tomorrow to have him mail a money order, but I can see him not paying that either. I have never gone to small claims court before, but I would assume there is no way he would be able to win since the care was already provided for the money he owes, correct?
Blackcat31 03:40 PM 03-15-2015
His check bounced. He owed $120 and I charge a $20 bounced check fee. I waited a week after I got my bank letter that his checked bounced to see if he would send me the money in the mail, but he did not. I asked in the letter I am going to mail tomorrow to have him mail a money order, but I can see him not paying that either. I have never gone to small claims court before, but I would assume there is no way he would be able to win since the care was already provided for the money he owes, correct?
Yes, this would be a easy case as he is "saying" he agreed/agrees to pay for the services because he wrote you a check for it.

This is a pretty simple case, since writing an NSF check in MN is considered a crime. Usually only a petty misdemeanor but still, something he can't ignore.

I've taken NSF checks directly to my local sheriff's office and they've sent a collection letter to the debtor but depending on how busy your sheriff's office is, they may tell you to take it to small claims/conciliation court.

I wouldn't worry though, because the NSF check is all the proof you need to show that he owes you AND that he acknowledges it (because he wrote the check) so you'd win that case hands down.

I'd send him a certified letter giving him 10 days to pay the amount due (including late fees) and if he fails to do so, file with small claims.

Remember, he will have to pay the fees you had to pay to file as well.
littlelionspreschool 11:55 AM 03-16-2015
I sent his letter out today, so hopefully he just pays and I won't have to worry about it.

Just got a call after lunch from social services (or human services...don't remember now because I was flustered) asking if this child was here for preschool or daycare. I stated preschool and then stated she no longer is here. The lady said she knew that and didn't ask any more questions. I have no idea what that was about, but it makes me worried that the parents are trying to stir up trouble again. I've never been called by the county after terminating anyone before.
Blackcat31 11:59 AM 03-16-2015
I sent his letter out today, so hopefully he just pays and I won't have to worry about it.

Just got a call after lunch from social services (or human services...don't remember now because I was flustered) asking if this child was here for preschool or daycare. I stated preschool and then stated she no longer is here. The lady said she knew that and didn't ask any more questions. I have no idea what that was about, but it makes me worried that the parents are trying to stir up trouble again. I've never been called by the county after terminating anyone before.
I wouldn't worry about it. If there was any reason to believe the parents complaint (IF they filed one) the state (human services/social services) is required to visit not just call so I wouldn't stress about it.

Hoping DCD pays the NSF check for you and it'll all be over and done with.

I would suggest documenting the fact that they are driving by your house. Record the time and the date. As a matter of fact document ALL things having to do with them. Contact from them, to them and about them. (including the most recent call you got). You never know when something like that comes in handy.
Leigh 12:51 PM 03-16-2015
I wouldn't worry about it. If there was any reason to believe the parents complaint (IF they filed one) the state (human services/social services) is required to visit not just call so I wouldn't stress about it.

I would suggest documenting the fact that they are driving by your house. Record the time and the date. As a matter of fact document ALL things having to do with them. Contact from them, to them and about them. (including the most recent call you got). You never know when something like that comes in handy.
If you're going to record their "drive-by", try to take a time-stamped photo, too.
CraftyMom 01:15 PM 03-16-2015

I don't think this call has anything to do with you terming. Sounds like there is something else going on at home. Perhaps related to the mysterious illness?
Unregistered 01:17 PM 03-16-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I don't think this call has anything to do with you terming. Sounds like there is something else going on at home. Perhaps related to the mysterious illness?
Or her abusing the system. Are they on welfare?
littlelionspreschool 07:32 PM 03-16-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Or her abusing the system. Are they on welfare?
I'm not 100% sure. If anything, I think the DCM mentioned she gets food stamps, but I know she did not qualify for child care assistance because she does not have a job/does not go to school/is not job searching. The weird thing is, that they only asked if the child was here for daycare or preschool. No other questions or reason why she needed to know. I was so taken back I didn't even ask why she was asking at the time....wish I would have though!

I have every text saved from the parents so thank goodness they decided to text and not call me. I also have pics from FB posts (before she deleted me) where she stated nice things about me and also the post that was negative she posted after termination with date stamps on those. I figured those might come in handy if I needed to show proof that once she thought I was great enough to publicly annouce.
Thriftylady 06:21 AM 03-17-2015
If anyone else calls, I would tell them that you can't give out any information about any clients. I would be afraid she was having someone call to set me up.
CraftyMom 10:33 AM 03-17-2015
If anyone else calls, I would tell them that you can't give out any information about any clients. I would be afraid she was having someone call to set me up.
Good idea
grateday 12:43 PM 03-17-2015

If you can get video of them driving by even better. I have experienced a lot of wacky people in my life and yours sounds really bad. BC is right on here.
littlelionspreschool 04:08 PM 03-17-2015
I wondered about that too after I got off the phone. It's so bad to think someone would impersonate a county worker, but it sure is possible in this situation!
Tags:backbone, termination
Reply Up