Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 AM
DaycareDays126's Avatar
DaycareDays126 DaycareDays126 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 60
Default Two Weeks Notice...Is It Just Me?

Sent home a term letter on Friday with a two weeks notice. I can't believe mom brought her kid today and will continue to through the two weeks even though she has back up care! Is it just me or is the two weeks notice just a technicality? I didn't say that because I WANT the kid here for two weeks...I only said it to be professional! God help me...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:06 AM
bklsmum's Avatar
bklsmum bklsmum is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 557
Default

My parents have always brought through the two week notice. They paid for the time with their deposit and they want to use it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:30 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Politely smile and minimize talk.
Two weeks will pass quickly! Did they sign something saying that a failure to abide by the policies during the final two weeks will result in an immediate termination with no refunds?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:32 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

If I am terming due to behavioural issues of the child (or parent), serious policy infractions, or any other reason where I no longer wish to continue with the family and do not want them back I term immediately. I refund any unused fees and call it a day. I would argue that it's a professional response to parental/child misconduct.

If I am switching up my hours/availability, etc and do not mind doing the 2 weeks then I will give notice.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,571
Default

I actually had one mom p!ssed that she couldn't use the last two weeks after I termed her because her daughter broke her arm the next day and needed surgery.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareDays126 View Post
Sent home a term letter on Friday with a two weeks notice. I can't believe mom brought her kid today and will continue to through the two weeks even though she has back up care! Is it just me or is the two weeks notice just a technicality? I didn't say that because I WANT the kid here for two weeks...I only said it to be professional! God help me...
Did the family pay for the two weeks already?

If so, that is why they brought him.

If they haven't paid for it already, I would have made it clear the term was immediate.

Usually if I term I just want them gone. The only time it's not uncomfortable of is doable is if the child is termed for amicable reasons or the child is aging out or family is moving.

Otherwise, terms due to behavior or not a good fit are immediate and NO MONEY is exchanged or kept. I will refund if they paid a deposit.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,767
Default

I am lucky to not have run into parents who use the last two weeks! I would hate that . Having said that I know for sure a family I have now would use it. They are of course entitles to it but I think if it was that bad I woukd refund the money and term immediately.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 AM
trix23's Avatar
trix23 trix23 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
If I am terming due to behavioural issues of the child (or parent), serious policy infractions, or any other reason where I no longer wish to continue with the family and do not want them back I term immediately. I refund any unused fees and call it a day. I would argue that it's a professional response to parental/child misconduct.

If I am switching up my hours/availability, etc and do not mind doing the 2 weeks then I will give notice.
What do you consider a serious policy infraction?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 AM
DaycareDays126's Avatar
DaycareDays126 DaycareDays126 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 60
Default

They have partially paid for the last two weeks. I understand that's why they are coming but it's still very strange to me. If it were me, I would definitely not bring my child somewhere they were "not wanted". The issue is major behavioral issues that I've been working on for MONTHS so I shouldn't have even given the two weeks option. I will probably refund what is left over at the end of this week and be done with it. It was just a *mind blown* kind of moment!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareDays126 View Post
They have partially paid for the last two weeks. I understand that's why they are coming but it's still very strange to me. If it were me, I would definitely not bring my child somewhere they were "not wanted". The issue is major behavioral issues that I've been working on for MONTHS so I shouldn't have even given the two weeks option. I will probably refund what is left over at the end of this week and be done with it. It was just a *mind blown* kind of moment!
I hear what you are saying. I do think that some parents are really just oblivious to these types of things and are thinking it's really not their child, but our abilities to deal with their child.

I had to term last year for behavior, but I did it same day term. The dcm was not surprised, but really just didn't understand that her child was not a good fit for our program. She really didn't understand the need to term him. She tried everything to convince me to let him stay and I thought the same thing as you, why are you trying to get me to take your child where we are telling you we no longer want him here.

As BC said, unless you are parting for reasons that are due to moving, aging out, or something like this, I would make it an immediate term.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I hear what you are saying. I do think that some parents are really just oblivious to these types of things and are thinking it's really not their child, but our abilities to deal with their child.

I had to term last year for behavior, but I did it same day term. The dcm was not surprised, but really just didn't understand that her child was not a good fit for our program. She really didn't understand the need to term him. She tried everything to convince me to let him stay and I thought the same thing as you, why are you trying to get me to take your child where we are telling you we no longer want him here.

As BC said, unless you are parting for reasons that are due to moving, aging out, or something like this, I would make it an immediate term.
Last year when I termed the lady refused to get in her car until I told her she had "daycare". She finally left. I termed with NO notice. No matter how hard you try, no notice is for the BEST sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,710
Default

I've never termed but if/when I do it'll be effective immediately. I'm pretty patient so if it gets to a point that I'm terming it'll be because I'm just done.

Whenever parents have given 2 week notice they've always brought their children the last 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,471
Default

I pretty much always have families stay through the notice period.

If it's behavioral, it's an immediate term. This is after MANY warnings and a behavior plan (that parents sign) with an end date. Convos are MUCH easier when parents are expecting it, imho.

"Dcm, as you know today is the last day of our behavior plan. Unfortunately I have not seen significant improvement and believe JR. would do better elsewhere. Today will be his last day here."

and hand them the kid's stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
term letter help, termination letter, two week notice

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Family Left Without Paying Two Weeks, In Contract WImom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 08-19-2016 07:58 AM
Contract Scout Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 12-31-2012 09:29 PM
Is 4 weeks enough notice to provide for my vacay? SunshineMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 04-30-2012 11:06 AM
Parents Gave Me Two Week Notice...I Have Them Pay Right??? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-25-2010 07:15 PM
Got Notice Today misol Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 45 09-21-2010 06:22 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming