Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New daycare partnership help
friedchicken 07:23 AM 09-07-2017
Hello All,

Myself and 2 other ladies are partnering up to purchase a building for lease but worried we might not be approved for daycare application.

First Issue - One of my partners had a child abuse record 3 years ago for a small bruise on the arm of the child, she feels horrible for this because she never hit her child or done anything to harm her. A social worker came and said since there was a small bruise her name will be listed in the registry and taken off after 3years.
Can she still be approved its been 3 1/2 years already? It was a misdemeanor or level 1. Can she ever be have a daycare?

Second issue - Second partner had a DUI 4 years ago will she still be able to get her childcare license?

Third issue - What do you all do to ensure you pass inspection?

Thanks
Jennifer
Leigh 09:17 AM 09-07-2017
Originally Posted by friedchicken:
Hello All,

Myself and 2 other ladies are partnering up to purchase a building for lease but worried we might not be approved for daycare application.

First Issue - One of my partners had a child abuse record 3 years ago for a small bruise on the arm of the child, she feels horrible for this because she never hit her child or done anything to harm her. A social worker came and said since there was a small bruise her name will be listed in the registry and taken off after 3years.
Can she still be approved its been 3 1/2 years already? It was a misdemeanor or level 1. Can she ever be have a daycare?

Second issue - Second partner had a DUI 4 years ago will she still be able to get her childcare license?

Third issue - What do you all do to ensure you pass inspection?

Thanks
Jennifer
1st one: I suppose if it is off her record, they wouldn't find it. I don't think that you can come off that registry EVER in my state. In my state, she would never be eligible.

2nd one: Unlikely to be approved when DUI is only 4 years old.

3rd: Get a copy of licensing guidelines and make sure you comply with each one.
MarinaVanessa 09:28 AM 09-07-2017
Every state is different when it comes to what they accept and what they don't. The best thing for you all to do is to request background and registry checks an yourselves before purchasing the building and see if the incidents come up.

If the child abuse still pops up then contact the registry to see what steps your friend would have to take to request to have it removed.

As far as the DUI charge the best thing to do is to contact your licensing agency directly and ask them if this will be an issue. In my state it wouldn't count against an applicant unless there was a child endangerment charge as well but they'd probably have a condition placed on the license saying that the person wouldn't transport children etc. In other states their regs are tougher. Some states vary even from county to county.

When I went through the process I had to go to an orientation and I asked a lot of questions about what was required in order to be approved. They gave us a checklist of things they looked for. Maybe your agency has something like that. Contact them and ask.

You can also try to find a local child care association or a child care resource center. Usually they help people through the process.
kendallina 09:50 AM 09-07-2017
Hi Jennifer,

First issue- I would be concerned about partnering with her. Off it happens again could be a liability.

Second issue- that, I don't know. Maybe ask a licensor?

Are you opening a center or in home? Make sure you do the math...3 partners would have a hard time making enough money with a small center or in-home.
Reply Up