Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fever From Nothing?
Ariana 03:19 PM 09-20-2017
Have you ever had a child have a fever that did not turn into an illness? I swear I am going crazy!

Called for pickup today because DCB was running a 102 fever and was extremely lethargic (lying on the ground boiling up). I gave him Advil because I was worried. Mom came and got him. I texted just now to see how he is doing and mom says he is doing fine. Didn't sleep much this afternoon and is fever free without meds. What the.....he was falling asleep not moving on my sofa right before pickup.

The amount of times I have had kids in my care get fevers only to go home and be fine is crazy! Does this happen to you all? They make me feel like I am a liar.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 03:27 PM 09-20-2017
When we were on vacation over the summer dd got a fever the day before we left. 102+ all day long, super lethargic. Next morning was fine, I took her to urgent care anyway because we were about to complete a 13 hour plane trip. They couldn't find anything and she never had another issue.

Sent dcb home a few weeks ago on a Monday same scenario. High fever, lethargic, fine the next morning. DCM took him to the doctor anyway and they found nothing. Of note, they had traveled heavily and been camping over the weekend.

In both cases I think the kids were exhausted and their bodies were fighting off something that they normally would've handled without a blip. Just my thoughts.
LysesKids 03:36 PM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
When we were on vacation over the summer dd got a fever the day before we left. 102+ all day long, super lethargic. Next morning was fine, I took her to urgent care anyway because we were about to complete a 13 hour plane trip. They couldn't find anything and she never had another issue.

Sent dcb home a few weeks ago on a Monday same scenario. High fever, lethargic, fine the next morning. DCM took him to the doctor anyway and they found nothing. Of note, they had traveled heavily and been camping over the weekend.

In both cases I think the kids were exhausted and their bodies were fighting off something that they normally would've handled without a blip. Just my thoughts.
Yep, I sent 2 home last night acting lethargic & with fevers... this morning 99 for both @ home - was told both eating & acting normal now so guess who will be here tomorrow if temps are 98.6
Ariana 03:40 PM 09-20-2017
I can somewhat understand being fine the next morning after a night of sleep but to be fine a few hours later seems odd to me.
hwichlaz 04:44 PM 09-20-2017
A fever's purpose is to burn off illness. Sometimes, especially when left alone to do it's job, it kills off the bug before other symptoms happen.

My son did this frequently as a child. He'd wake up burning hot....fever almost hot enough for me to want to treat...but I knew from experience with him if I left it alone it'd burn off faster....then he'd be fine in the morning. a day or two later, the rest of us would be sicker than dogs, but he'd be fine.

It was his super power.
e.j. 04:51 PM 09-20-2017
My son used to spike a fever every now and then when he was at school. The school nurse sent him home several times because of it. Shortly after being home, he'd be fine.

He's 26 now and for the past three Mondays, he's experienced a fever along with stuffy, runny nose and headache. By the time he gets home, he feels better and by Tuesday, he's fine. He continues to feel fine throughout the rest of the week and then by Monday, he's right back where he started. His coworkers have even noticed the pattern. I asked if he might be allergic to something at his office but he says it starts at home when he gets up in the morning. He feels miserable all day long and then starts to feel better shortly after getting home.

When my dd was little, she went through something similar. For about a month, she would spike a fever and not feel well every Wednesday. By Thursday, she'd be fine until the following Wednesday. My kids are weird!!
redmaple 05:50 PM 09-20-2017
Only time I usually see it is with roseola. They have a fever, then seem fine, get fever again & then seem fine. After a few days the rash shows.

Even better is when I do a diaper change after nap on a Monday and see them covered in the roseola rash. Ummm so any chance your child had a high fever over the weekend?
finsup 06:24 PM 09-20-2017
Yeah, kiddo is always "fine" and "completely better" at home, yet just an hour earlier was miserable and had a fever. Generally it's because they've given meds and they've had time to kick in so kiddo appears fine or, they are trying to make me feel guilty for sending home in hopes of getting the "ok" to come back early (nope, nice try, not happening).

Can kids randomly spike a fever and be fine shortly after, sure, occasionally. After a good night of sleep, even more likely. But a few hours? Pretty doubtful. Not impossible, but doubtful. And with how many times parents have told me of these illnesses that so suddenly improve when sent home, I ought to start telling parents it's apparently the "super fast virus cure" send home from daycare and they'll be better within an hour!
LysesKids 06:25 PM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by redmaple:
Only time I usually see it is with roseola. They have a fever, then seem fine, get fever again & then seem fine. After a few days the rash shows.

Even better is when I do a diaper change after nap on a Monday and see them covered in the roseola rash. Ummm so any chance your child had a high fever over the weekend?
Never had that issue... most times it's midweek for the sudden onset & usually more than one gets it within hrs here. I do retake temps at drop-offs & everyone is fine & chipper... it's just an unexplained -- one moms a nurse who called to tell me last night at 7pm to say little ms was feverish within hrs of another being sent home yesterday. Both broke the fever before 7am today.
Unregistered 06:35 PM 09-20-2017
I have been dealing with this for the last two weeks. He didn't have a fever at home. 5 minutes after drop off I call to pickup. Got the whole house sick and all of my parents. From 1 hr of being here. The amount in lost wages and medical bills has got to be in the thousands from 1 child.

I had one come Monday after being sent home on Friday due to mild fever but enough and lethargic. So they doped her up continually all weekend without checking her temp (admitted it) so she was fine! Wondered why on Monday she spiked a fever again. I had to explain to them the balance of giving meds or waiting it out. Just because there is no fever with tylenol doesn't mean they aren't sick.

Everyone this week has told me within hours after they get home they are happy and fine. Probably because you just gave them Tylenol!

I have started to separate them in their pack n plays so they don't share toys and spit/runny nose at least the first day back. So I wait out the Tylenol window.

I am sitting here typing this having to work through a mild fever, voice lost, body aches, now it is moving to my chest because of parents playing stupid. This single problem could be the main reason I quit. I wanted to do daycare so I could be a stay at home mom but the diseases that are brought in, tole it takes on me, the costs in medical bills, and having to work sick while taking care of multiple children may push me over the edge. Not looking forward to the winter time.
nanglgrl 06:40 PM 09-20-2017
My own children have spiked fevers, been lethargic and been fine within hours but it's pretty rare. What's not rare is clients telling their childcare provider this to make her feel bad for sending home or in hopes they can return the next day. It's also not rare for them to medicate the next morning so the child seems fine (well until about 11 a.m. When the meds wear off). In my early days of care I felt guilty and accepted them back the next day and every time they either spiked a fever in the afternoon and/or I saw a post on social media that the parent made indicating the child was sick and/or other children in care become sick. Now my sick policies are strict so people don't even try to bring sick kids. If they did I would take a picture of thermometer and send it to them..they're less likely to try to put a guilt trip on you when you do this (I believe I heard this advice from nannydee).
Unregistered 06:50 PM 09-20-2017
I did the picture of thermometer thing this time around too. No arguing with that!

I have been tightening my sick policies but families don't realize as home providers we can CHOOSE who we keep in our program, we aren't a center. So you keep pushing me sending a sick kid, as soon as I get another child that is a good fit you seriously tempt me to give a two-week notice. So you may think you got away with it that time but just wait. I am very protective of my babies, especially of the little ones. And if you are being inconsiderate your poor judgment can put a baby in the NICU! So that is why I don't feel as guilty anymore being a hardass
Ariana 07:20 PM 09-20-2017
This family has brought me their sick kids before. I was going to take a pic of the thermometre but to be honest I don't care if she believes me or not. I have nothing to prove.

I think mom just never checks for a fever. Just assumes he is fine. He was whiny and tired she told me at drop off and she didn't think to take a temp. I put him down for a nap and he slept an hour and a half. Woke up and was still lethargic. When I checked in witn mom this evening he was still whiny but no fever. I feel like he probably had a fever and she just didn't check. The last time this family did this they tried bringing their other kid in without checking his temp. I texted them to check before they came and when they did, sure enough he had a fever. They had no intention of checking.

I may term on the spot if the kid ends up with a fever tomorrow at any point in the day. I changed my policy to exclude for fever for 24 hrs but I only gave it to new clients and not the ones who are here. I will be doing that now.
LysesKids 07:39 PM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This family has brought me their sick kids before. I was going to take a pic of the thermometre but to be honest I don't care if she believes me or not. I have nothing to prove.

I think mom just never checks for a fever. Just assumes he is fine. He was whiny and tired she told me at drop off and she didn't think to take a temp. I put him down for a nap and he slept an hour and a half. Woke up and was still lethargic. When I checked in witn mom this evening he was still whiny but no fever. I feel like he probably had a fever and she just didn't check. The last time this family did this they tried bringing their other kid in without checking his temp. I texted them to check before they came and when they did, sure enough he had a fever. They had no intention of checking.

I may term on the spot if the kid ends up with a fever tomorrow at any point in the day. I changed my policy to exclude for fever for 24 hrs but I only gave it to new clients and not the ones who are here. I will be doing that now.
I'm grateful I have parents that accept my temp/test taking (I also take take pics of rashes and such); that said, most my families will keep an ill child home because they are infants... I only had one mom pull because I required a DR note (before care started) when she stated child had heart issues. No offense, but if child needs extra work from birth & has meds, then, yes, I require Medical info before care. You refuse to provide required info, I will refuse care and nothing you say will change my mind.
Annalee 07:40 PM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Have you ever had a child have a fever that did not turn into an illness? I swear I am going crazy!

Called for pickup today because DCB was running a 102 fever and was extremely lethargic (lying on the ground boiling up). I gave him Advil because I was worried. Mom came and got him. I texted just now to see how he is doing and mom says he is doing fine. Didn't sleep much this afternoon and is fever free without meds. What the.....he was falling asleep not moving on my sofa right before pickup.

The amount of times I have had kids in my care get fevers only to go home and be fine is crazy! Does this happen to you all? They make me feel like I am a liar.
Years ago, I had a child that every time he would get teeth his temp would spike. By the time he had all his teeth the doctor figured it out......never could find anything wrong when I would send him home but teething....When I went to his high school graduation, I reminded him how he scared me cause his temp would spike so quickly and how his mom would rush home from work to take him to doctor. Back then there were no clinics so at least he was seeing the same doctor so they figured it out. I think kids see multiple doctors/nurse practitioners today so no one person really knows the child.
Ariana 09:27 AM 09-21-2017
It very well could be teething. He is drooling, whiny, mouthing everything. The last time he was like this he popped out a bunch of teeth at the same time. He did not have a fever though and the jury is out on whether teeth cause fevers so I err on the side of caution.

This morning he came in happy as a clam. I am really hoping they did not give him meds.
Tags:fever
Reply Up