Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents "Hiding" Child's Illiness-How To Confront?
BSHCC 07:45 PM 04-28-2011
At A.M. drop off, Mom advised that (2 yr. old)child had a runny nose over the weekend but was "fine". All week child was congested & snotty, emotional & was informed each day that congestion was not getting any better & child had a "difficult day". No fever was ever present.

Today I noticed a FB posting from the Dad that the house had been "sanitized, disinfected & all aired out. Hopefully the sickness has left us".
I was furious & discovered about 45 minutes later the posting had been removed.
I have a very clear Illness Policy in my Contract/Handbook information & am thinking that my families are now going to their dr. over the weekends so that they do not have to inform me that their child is ill.
When Dad came at Pick Up, child was having a minor melt down & I was not able to ask about the FB posting. Now I have to wait until Monday before I am able to talk to either parent again.
How do I confront them & handel this issue with out accusing them of bring their sick child to me? Esp. when I have no real "evidence"?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Michael 11:36 PM 04-28-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum BSHCC!

Here are some threads on Sick Policy: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=sick+policy
Cat Herder 04:31 AM 04-29-2011
Ugh, I hate when they do this.

The "dope and drop"....happens way too much in group childcare.

Unfortunately there is not alot you can do unless you have "....lethargy, excessive crying, not eating or otherwise not acting/feeling well enough for participation in group care/play/or planned activities" under signs and symptoms in your contract. Then enforce it every time.

I also have a 24 hours minimum out if they keep them home, 48 hours if I send them home. You HAVE to enforce it or it won't work. It only takes once per family, I promise, then they won't even try it anymore.

That has been my saving grace. I no longer have to deal with it....

I don't feel guilty because I am also a Mom and think the child should be home getting special attention from the parents when they are sick. They are only small for such a short time and NEED that interaction. It will form how they treat the people in their lives later on as well. We learn how to be parents from our parents, YKWIM???
BSHCC 07:31 PM 04-29-2011
Your response helps me alot and I know you are right. I really struggle with being "firm" but it only hurts the kids in the end...not to mention my frusteration!

Thanks, again!!
Lucy 07:41 PM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by BSHCC:
Today I noticed a FB posting from the Dad that the house had been "sanitized, disinfected & all aired out. Hopefully the sickness has left us".

I think I would have commented on his posting. My response would be, "Yeah, now it's at MY house!"
Tags:dope and drop, sick policy
Reply Up