Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crazy Transitions
cheerfuldom 07:13 PM 09-23-2011
I have a 12 month old here that is SOOOO dramatic when mom hands her over to me. Screaming, kicking, acting out of control. DCM is really good about just handing her over and leaving but it is getting harder because this LO hangs on like a crazy monkey and I have to rip her out of her mom's arms. Today was especially bad. We did a quick transition at the door and mom walked away and I closed the door. DCG stopped right when the door closed and then I opened it real quick again and showed mom that DCG was already over the transition. I was glad she got first hand experience of this whole thing not being as bad as it sounded and I know the mom was shocked to see the girl completely calm literally 1 second later. Any other advice to tone down the drama at the door? She leaves just fine and is fine here besides crying when she goes down for nap. But I know the parents are really alarmed about the initial transitions and keep asking "are you sure she is doing okay here?" and that sort of thing. I think they are trying to trust me but having to fight against the instinct to grab their baby and run.
nannyde 03:53 AM 09-24-2011
Easy to solve.

Have Mom put her DOWN on the floor... turn her back quickly and walk out. Do not TAKE her from her mom. TAKE her from the floor. This tells the child the Mom is leaving her not you taking her from her Mom. Big difference

When Mom has put her down and turns quickly you put on your face and say "Bye Mommy ... Be good at work today".

Secondly... if you have a cell phone... take her to a spot where you can record her RIGHT after Mom leaves. Tape her for 30 seconds or so and then send it to her right away. Put in the subject line "Breaker Breaker Faker Faker"

It will hit the Moms phone before she gets a couple of blocks away.

It only takes ONE time of showing she went from cry to calm and then you don't have to discuss it anymore.

Don't ever take a child kicking and screaming. Make the parent put the kid down. If it's an older kid that can get back to the door just put your body in between the kid and the door and put your eyes straight forward with NO expression. Let them have their Oscar Winning Performance to an audience that is stoned face.

Soon as they are done say "You done?"

Cool Fool

let's go eat some muffins.
cheerfuldom 02:11 PM 09-24-2011
i do prefer that moms put their kids down, especially since this girl can walk but mom literally cannot get this child off her by herself. i tried to let mom handle this and she literally was pulling at arms and legs and could not get kid unwrapped! maybe if she takes her out from the car seat and never picks her up before reaching our door? i feel weird requesting that but if I can get mom to try it once, then hopefully it will do the trick.
nannyde 04:31 PM 09-24-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
i do prefer that moms put their kids down, especially since this girl can walk but mom literally cannot get this child off her by herself. i tried to let mom handle this and she literally was pulling at arms and legs and could not get kid unwrapped! maybe if she takes her out from the car seat and never picks her up before reaching our door? i feel weird requesting that but if I can get mom to try it once, then hopefully it will do the trick.
The Mom needs to carry her face forward with the kids back on the Moms belly and set her down face forward... turn and walk out your door.

She can do the "mommy loves baby" routine with her while she is in the carseat. Love her up.... give her a good soft talking to... then unbuckle her... hold her face forward... come to your door... put her down... and turn and walk away.
Tags:1 year old, transitioning
Reply Up