Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Cashier’s Check Fee And Rent - Tom?
CrackerJacks 01:59 PM 10-17-2013
So, my landlord has asked/requested if I could start paying rent via a cashiers check, written out to "cash". Now, this is only a request and I understand the law in CA states I cannot be forced to pay cash unless I have given bad checks in the past (which in 6yrs has Never happened). I currently directly transfer through my bank the rent payment directly.

Now, my question is....if I decide to do this (which I am very Leary of doing) I would first make sure I obtained a notorized letter requesting payment be made this way and of course get a receipt after every payment. But what about the fee my bank charges per cashier check ($10)? Can I deduct this fee on my taxes as "rent" since I am being requested to pay this way?
BrooklynM 02:08 PM 10-17-2013
I used to be in banking and I've never heard of a cashier's check being payable to cash. I think a cashier's check must have a payee. Even if the bank does it, I would never ever mail a check payable to cash. What if the check gets lost in the mail? If he physically picks up the check from you make sure you get a receipt from him each time.
Familycare71 02:29 PM 10-17-2013
I would not send a form of payment in the mail I couldn't prove I sent or it was received.
If you pay in person tell him you will pay in cash with an immediate receipt or in cashiers check with the $10 removed from the rent amount- with an immediate receipt.
If you do the cashiers check get a letter stating that is acceptable.
CrackerJacks 02:51 PM 10-17-2013
I would never send it via mail. He would have to physically come pick it up.
CrackerJacks 02:52 PM 10-17-2013
But do you think I can still apply that $10 fee to my taxes (t/s%)?
TomCopeland 03:03 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
So, my landlord has asked/requested if I could start paying rent via a cashiers check, written out to "cash". Now, this is only a request and I understand the law in CA states I cannot be forced to pay cash unless I have given bad checks in the past (which in 6yrs has Never happened). I currently directly transfer through my bank the rent payment directly.

Now, my question is....if I decide to do this (which I am very Leary of doing) I would first make sure I obtained a notorized letter requesting payment be made this way and of course get a receipt after every payment. But what about the fee my bank charges per cashier check ($10)? Can I deduct this fee on my taxes as "rent" since I am being requested to pay this way?
Yes, the $10 bank fee is a business expense (use your time-space %). I wouldn't pay this unless the rent is reduced by $10. They can't require you to pay a bank fee to pay your rent. I also share the concern about getting a receipt for all payments.
Tags:payment issues, payment issues - checks, payment method, tom copeland
Reply Up