Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What A Relief
MsLaura529 10:47 AM 01-31-2014
So I have been searching really hard to find an assistant. Haven't been able to find anyone, though. Meanwhile, I've slowly been going crazy and hating my job, feeling depressed, etc.

My 15 yr old sister, who does high school through an online program, offered to help me out until I find someone who is old enough to be left alone with the kids. Well, she was here this morning and it was amazing! The kids already knew her from when her and my mom pick up my DD for preschool 3 days a week, so they were all excited to hear that "Aunt Amy" was actually staying with us. She was able to take the kids out to play in the snow on our back deck (still within my view) while I prepped lunch, put the babies down for a nap, and got a couple activities ready for when they came back inside, oh AND I was able to eat a small breakfast at that point, too!

I asked my mom if she could be here everyday, haha. I am going to try to work out a 2 morning a week schedule with her, and jujust the idea of it is already giving me a sense of relief. I might just keep her with me and not worry about finding anyone else. I know I can't leave them with her yet, but just having an extra set of hands here was so nice!
Heidi 10:53 AM 01-31-2014
When my kids did online school, they had to do service learning (can't be paid) and could also do work study. Maybe your sister can get some credit either way for helping you. We only needed to keep a log of the time, but she could also do some sort of portfolio of her work.

Just a thought...

My 16yo isn't really a baby person, but she is quite helpful when she feels like it. One of her classmates, who is 18 and graduating in May, is my official assistant. I can't leave my almost 17 yo alone with the kids, but I can her classmate. Whatever...
melilley 10:56 AM 01-31-2014
An extra set of hands are nice!

My sil is in college and last semester she would come over every other Thurs. so my dh and I could have a date night, but she would spend the night so on Fri. she would help me with then kids until she had to go to class. (she just left from working at a home dc so she can legally watch the kids) It was soooo nice! Her schedule changed so she can't do that this semester . I wish I could do that every day, but unfortunately It wouldn't be worth it financially to hire an assistant.
CraftyMom 10:59 AM 01-31-2014
An extra set of hands is always a good thing! Today for example my kids didn't have school. My 12 year old is a HUGE help! If nothing else she spends a lot of time with the infant which definitely helps
MsLaura529 11:08 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
When my kids did online school, they had to do service learning (can't be paid) and could also do work study. Maybe your sister can get some credit either way for helping you. We only needed to keep a log of the time, but she could also do some sort of portfolio of her work.

Just a thought ...
Thanks! I will ask her about this.
Tags:assistant
Reply Up