Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Instant pot
Madeline 06:39 PM 09-10-2016
I'm a parent and I've been looking at purchasing an instant pot (counter top electric pressure cooker) for my daughter's daycare provider as a gift. I always tell her about how much I love mine and she's said she thinks she'll get one.

Here's my question. The instant pot comes in a few versions. One is the smart which connects to your phone or tablet and you can store your recipes, show the exact cook time remaining on phone/tablet, edit the cooking process away from the pot, etc. Another is called the DUO which is a bit more like a crockpot in terms of use (you put in food, press buttons, walk away and wait for the count down to end). The smart only comes in a 6 qt capacity while DUO comes in 6 or 8 qt options. Our provider makes lunch each day for herself, her husband, and 4-6 kiddos (ages 1.5-7).

Which of these versions might be better for her? I have a 6 qt DUO and it's great for my family of 3 but I usually use the timer feature & I'm not home while it's running so the Bluetooth connection didn't have much appeal to me. As experts on the challenges of feeding multiple kids each day what do you see as pros & cons of each? I want to try to get her something I know will be useful. Thanks for your insight!
MunchkinWrangler 06:46 PM 09-10-2016
I would definitely get the bigger size and having the ability to control it wirelessly is awesome.

That is a truly thoughtful gift! Anything to make your providers day run smoother as well as free up some time is very helpful. It's great that you value her in this way!
Madeline 06:49 PM 09-10-2016
Thanks. She's totally worth it. And she cares for the most important "thing" I have so whatever she wants LOL!

The choice is difficult because I can either get one you can control wirelessly OR get a bigger size. That's where I'm stuck deciding. Gifts are so tricky!
Miss A 06:53 PM 09-10-2016
You are one of the sweetest parents I have ever encountered! How thoughtful of you!
Baby Beluga 07:34 PM 09-10-2016
That is very thoughtful of you.

Does she travel with he children? If not, I am thinking controlling it wirelessly wouldn't be needed too much as she is already home. I think I would go with the larger size.
Leigh 07:36 PM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by Madeline:
I'm a parent and I've been looking at purchasing an instant pot (counter top electric pressure cooker) for my daughter's daycare provider as a gift. I always tell her about how much I love mine and she's said she thinks she'll get one.

Here's my question. The instant pot comes in a few versions. One is the smart which connects to your phone or tablet and you can store your recipes, show the exact cook time remaining on phone/tablet, edit the cooking process away from the pot, etc. Another is called the DUO which is a bit more like a crockpot in terms of use (you put in food, press buttons, walk away and wait for the count down to end). The smart only comes in a 6 qt capacity while DUO comes in 6 or 8 qt options. Our provider makes lunch each day for herself, her husband, and 4-6 kiddos (ages 1.5-7).

Which of these versions might be better for her? I have a 6 qt DUO and it's great for my family of 3 but I usually use the timer feature & I'm not home while it's running so the Bluetooth connection didn't have much appeal to me. As experts on the challenges of feeding multiple kids each day what do you see as pros & cons of each? I want to try to get her something I know will be useful. Thanks for your insight!
I you, and we've never met. I think that any version would be a delightfully thoughtful gift.
Madeline 07:52 PM 09-10-2016
You all are too sweet. There's no way I could do the work you do and you deserve a TON of appreciation for it. I love giving gifts but spend way too much time worrying about getting just the right thing. Last year I got her a wipes subscription but this year she'll only have one in diapers so it's probably not as useful.

You've convinced me to go with the 8 qt as she never travels with the children. Thank you for all of your help with this question and for the insight I gain from lurking here. After all my reading my DCP motto has become "never pay or pick up late!"
daycarediva 09:23 AM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
That is very thoughtful of you.

Does she travel with he children? If not, I am thinking controlling it wirelessly wouldn't be needed too much as she is already home. I think I would go with the larger size.
Great minds! Big size, home anyway so it wouldn't matter.

I use my regular crock pot at least twice a week. Hot, healthy meal tossed together while my coffee is brewing in the morning, ready when I need it. What's not to love?
childcaremom 09:39 AM 09-12-2016
I would go with the larger size but I'm sure she'll be happy with either.

I am asking santa for an IP for Christmas.
Madeline 05:46 PM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I would go with the larger size but I'm sure she'll be happy with either.

I am asking santa for an IP for Christmas.
I love mine so much more than I thought I would. I bought it during the Amazon prime day sale. Worth every penny. Right now I have some oatmeal in mason jars in it with a timer set so it'll be ready when we leave tomorrow. Best grab and go breakfast I've found yet. We've saved money already just being able to buy cheaper meat and quickly soften our own beans.

Our provider's should arrive on Thursday (I was hoping to get it by tomorrow--National Kids Takeover the Kitchen Day) but oh well! I printed some of my favorite recipes to give to her along with it.
Tags:feeding, gifts, instant pot, lunchtime, pressure cooker
Reply Up