Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time 1 Year Old.... Any Success?
Crazy8 07:58 AM 12-05-2018
I am having a really tough time with a 1 year old who is here 2 days a week. He’s been here for months now and just isn’t adjusting. Grandma has him other days and I am sure that is the reason (what do you mean you can’t hold him and love on him all day long???).

My suggestion is more days per week here but I can’t find anything online to back me up. Mom keeps saying everything she read says it’s normal.

Is there hope of him adjusting only coming 2 days a week or do I need to let them go??
Cat Herder 08:15 AM 12-05-2018
Generally speaking, he will adjust. Eventually. The issue is how much disruption and extra stress you and the other kids should have to take while he does. Only you know that answer.

Put the star on the calendar. It will make the load feel lighter while you decide.
Jupadia 08:20 AM 12-05-2018
I've had pt 1 year olds in the past, one with a rotating schedule. (2 to 3 days a week different days diffeent weeks) it did take awhile (a fee months) before she was settled in. Mostly she would cry when I left the room. For me at the time I felt with it cause I needed the money. I find when types of care change in the week kids will cry at daycare. It sounds like your little one has 3 types, gramma, parents and you. Mostly I recomend setting a date on your calender as to when you need to see improvement and if it dose not happen then let the child go. As well make sure to let the parents know of your problems. They may not be able to do much to help as I know sometimes grandparents just dont listen and they may need to use her for budget reasons.

I have another that is full time and cured for the first 3 months when I left the room. On his first day he banged his head on my gate (while I did diaper changes) and bruised it up (leaving a lovely bar pattern), I had to place him in a pack snd play after that. He did stop but then had a bad few weeks after z vaction week in the summer. I also know he was held a lot at home, and mom would always be in same room. They bed share as well.
trytobearunner34 08:25 AM 12-05-2018
To answer your title questions, yes. I have a now 28 month old who started with me at 16 months who only
comes two days a week, goes to grandmas two days and is home with dad the the fifth day. She adjusted fairly quickly and has done well since. I have no doubt that personality plays as much into the equation as age. I agree with the setting a timeframe and terming if it’s not liveable at that point.
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 12-05-2018
It is definitely possible for him to adjust but I am curious as to what the issues you are having are?

If mom thinks it's all normal, then I would absolutely tell her that if she does not want to send him additional days then you'll have no other option but to call for pick up every time the crying/wanting to be held goes on for more than X number of minutes. My limit is 90 minutes.

If a child does not calm down and join the rest of the activities within a 90 minute period, I refuse to be the one that has to "deal" with it. It's unfair to you, the other daycare kids and to the child himself.

Once things become an issue for someone other than you, the parent usually always changes their behavior. Up until now, this isn't an issue for anyone other than you.
Crazy8 11:35 AM 12-05-2018
He’s been a clingy baby all along, started with me at 3-4 months old.

The main issue is he will scream any time I walk away from him - he is perfectly fine if I am on the floor with him, where he can crawl all over me, etc. but the minute I start to back away (even if he’s at the table eating) he will start to scream. He spends a lot of time standing at the gate screaming for me (because he can still see me when I am in the kitchen getting bottles or cleaning dishes, etc.).

I have already given them the end of the year as a deadline. I have been dealing with it for 9 months now. But he has been at such different stages of life in those 9 months that I just kept thinking maybe it would get better once he was crawling, then walking, hit that 1 year mark, etc. etc. but so far it hasn’t. I don’t think I can hold out much longer. And I do think it may just be his personality at this stage of life.
Tags:1 year old, part time care
Reply Up