Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unemployment/ Self-Employed? Help Please
Unregistered 09:57 AM 03-26-2020
Hi I just have a question I hope you ladies or Michael can answer for me.

I am in West Virginia and working as a home provider with a certificate from the DHHR and receiving subsidy from West Virginia for my clients. We are basically on lock down now and I have to close. I called my local unemployment office yesterday and asked if I could receive unemployment. He said since I was paid by the stste I could because I am considered a contractor. Now Im filling out the application and it asks if I am self employed with a simple yes or no response. What would I be considered?

I have been trying to call the office all day its busy I cant get through.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi I just have a question I hope you ladies or Michael can answer for me.

I am in West Virginia and working as a home provider with a certificate from the DHHR and receiving subsidy from West Virginia for my clients. We are basically on lock down now and I have to close. I called my local unemployment office yesterday and asked if I could receive unemployment. He said since I was paid by the stste I could because I am considered a contractor. Now Im filling out the application and it asks if I am self employed with a simple yes or no response. What would I be considered?

I have been trying to call the office all day its busy I cant get through.
Does the state send you a 1099 though at the end of the year? If yes, you aren’t eligible

Also the state isn’t paying you to work for them. They are paying the daycare families tuition for them.

There is a difference.

If you operate your child care business you are self employed.
Not eligible for UE benefits
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 03-26-2020
Only employees of centers are eligible for unemployment.
Sunchimes 01:18 PM 03-26-2020
I was reading that there is something called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance they are trying to pass. This would help self-employed.
Cat Herder 01:24 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I was reading that there is something called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance they are trying to pass. This would help self-employed.
I am waiting to see how that is worded. I have little faith that it will apply to those who choose to close. My state won't mandate closure. They have made that very clear.

Maybe it will help those forced to close, though? We shall see how the vote goes. I don't feel too confident, but that's only because legislation has not worked out in childcare providers favors even once in my entire career.
Sunchimes 02:43 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am waiting to see how that is worded. I have little faith that it will apply to those who choose to close. My state won't mandate closure. They have made that very clear.

Maybe it will help those forced to close, though? We shall see how the vote goes. I don't feel too confident, but that's only because legislation has not worked out in childcare providers favors even once in my entire career.
I agree. They are very vague about daycares, center vs home, etc. Since I am closed without pay, and no income except a little SS check, I'm watching this closely.
Blackcat31 03:03 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Here is the final version

https://www.americanactionforum.org/...ity-cares-act/
Cat Herder 03:35 PM 03-26-2020
Thanks, BC. I will read it closely in the morning with a freshly coffee stimulated brain. I am tired, the kids were off the chart today. Off to soak and then watch some brain-numbing tv.
Unregistered 06:06 PM 03-26-2020
Tom Copeland put up a column with details on this.
Unregistered 07:49 AM 03-27-2020
I applied for Unemployment yesterday and today it says I didn’t have enough income. So I guess that’s it for me. I’m in KY
Tags:subsidy, unemployment
Reply Up