Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Applied For First "Job"
Nickel 08:25 AM 07-16-2012
So I just set up a profile on care.com. I wasn't going to apply to any jobs, but I was interested in seeing what was available. I saw an ad that may be a good fit for what I want to offer and I set up a profile and applied. But I'm so nervous. Maybe I shouldn't have done that. Maybe I should have just put my provider profile out there and let her apply for MY spot. Now I'm confused! And nervous and scared. I mean, what if she ACTUALLY contacts me back! She doesn't need care until aug and I won't be ready until then anyway, but... I'm still scared. I also let her know my rates in the message I sent her. Was that too forward? I just wanted to let her know up front so I wouldn't waste her time or mine. She's a student, so I'm sure she doens't have a ton of money, but I'd hate for her to contact me and tell me she wants my services but then doens't want to pay my rates kwim? Maybe I shouldn't have applied, but I don't know what I was thinking. I wonder if I can take my message back... j/k... sort of
Breezy 08:31 AM 07-16-2012
I do it all the time on care.com and craigslist. I have gotten 2 families from care.com both are still with me. And lots from craigslist. One still with me as well. Nothing wrong with putting yourself out there! Worst she can say is no thank you.
Truly Scrumptious 08:39 AM 07-16-2012
I think that it's fine that you sent her a message...she was asking for help after all. If she contacts you, you can still be in control of the whole process if you're nervous about it looking desperate. Use the interview sheet I gave you to help with giving her information.
Springdaze 08:39 AM 07-16-2012
WE and I do mean we cuz I do it too need to stop being afraid. I find that I put myself out there, get nervous and dont follow through whether it be returning calls or taking the next step then wonder why my great ideas fall through! If they call, show them what ya got and you'll be fine!
Nickel 08:49 AM 07-16-2012
Thanks ladies! You all made me feel so much better! I think it's the waiting kwim? What if she doesn't want my services, what if she DOES!!! hahaha... I don't which is worse. But I do feel you with not following through and my ideas basically going to waste. I do that sometimes because I hate confrontation. Even if it isn't necessarily negative. I've ruined an interview in the past because I just wasn't confident. And when I left I thought, I could do all those things, Why did I make it sound like I couldn't or I was unsure (not dc related, but still)... So if she responds, I'll meet with her and see what happens. If not, I'll just keep on trying!

Oh and thx for the interview sheet scrumptious! I will def use it. I'll print it out right now and throw keep it handy just in case!!!!
Nickel 10:24 AM 07-16-2012
OMG! She replied!!!

But what do I do?!?! My house isn't 100% ready yet!!!!
lil angels 10:44 AM 07-16-2012
Congrats to you! Lethe know you are just starting out and things are not set up exactly the way you would like and would love to meet her. Get your house as ready as possible and when she comes in be confident on what you are selling. let her know what your plans are. She should understand that you have to advertise a bit early if you are starting soon. Be confident and up front and it should all workout if you are what she is looking for. Good luck!
e.j. 11:07 AM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Congrats to you! Lethe know you are just starting out and things are not set up exactly the way you would like and would love to meet her. Get your house as ready as possible and when she comes in be confident on what you are selling. let her know what your plans are. She should understand that you have to advertise a bit early if you are starting soon. Be confident and up front and it should all workout if you are what she is looking for. Good luck!
How wonderful that you got such a quick response! Don't sweat the fact that you're not quite ready. When I first started out, I didn't have my space ready either but they knew I was working on it. My first clients were more interested in my ability to keep their kids safe and happy than they were in my day care space. Besides, August is 2 1/2 weeks away. You can get alot done between now and then if you set your mind to it. Good luck!
Truly Scrumptious 12:56 PM 07-16-2012
I sent you a private message...Congratulations on your call back!
Sunchimes 01:34 PM 07-16-2012
Don't panic! ;-) I got my first child on care.com. She's been here for 17 months and I have her infant brother now too.

Just to show that sometimes it doesn't matter if your house isn't ready, I'll tell you my experience. I had a few toys for older kids-nothing for babies or young toddlers because I wasn't going to take babies. Time went by with no kids-not even any interviews. Finally, late one evening, I got a call from someone needing care at 5 or 5:30 the next morning, for an infant. My finances required that I take this offer, but I told her I didn't have anything for a baby, and I really didn't know much about babies. She said she would loan me a pnp and we'd learn about babies together. And we did. I'm on my 4th baby-3 are still with me and not babies anymore. Sometimes casual or not quite ready can work out just fine.

Good luck, it will all turn out.
Nickel 06:24 PM 07-16-2012
Thank you all for the quick reply. I must have done something wrong when I replied. I told her thank you for responding and that I was avail Wed or Thursday to meet. But if those days didn't work, please let me know what day and time works best for her. I told her I looked forward to hearing from her, but I never did

I'm hoping she is just thinking about it, or something... But then I think, what if she didn't get the message? Should I send another one? I don't want to seem desperate but I don't know what to do...

I saw your posts earlier, but I was too on edge to reply and then she didn't and I'm well.... Disappointed I guess. I know it comes with the job, but it is kind of upsetting. Not everyone is going to be a perfect fit, but at least wanted the opportunity to meet her and show her my home...

Then I got an email from care.com that my profile was not approved and that I had to register as a business and not use a personal account, my photo was not approved although I have NO idea why that was. It's me... My face, smiling. So I don't get it.

Then I started googling myself and there is a lot of me out there from when I did online writing and marketing. Nothing bad, but honestly most of my stuff is about animals. So I'm thinking of going through and removing some of the stuff out there. It wouldn't be so bad if it was child related but a lot of it is about dogs.

I didn't even have the heart to work on my website. I was too nervous and then when I realized she probably wasn't going to reply I just didn't have the energy.... It just woudl have been a perfect opportunity. She didn't actually start until mid august when school starts again, so it would have given me time to get everything ready while still knowing I had a spot filled, kwim???
Truly Scrumptious 07:15 PM 07-16-2012
You are doubting yourself way too much...stop that!

This girl may still get in touch with you and she may not, that doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

I've sat through a 2-3 hour first interview with a potential family before...I mean a great interview, where we were so comfortable with each other and we were laughing and joking...I mean I could have been best friends with these people...
After they left for the night...I never heard from them again.
I used to do the same thing...."What did I do wrong"....."They must not like me"....

I know now that it was definitely something I said...But, that's ok, because they made the right decision. After all the information I shared with them about my program, there was something they disagreed with...they just needed time to reflect. I'm glad they made the choice not to come, because the issue they had problems with would have reared it's ugly head at some point and caused trouble in the relationship.

Just be patient and wait....if it doesn't happen this time...maybe she wasnt' the right one after all...I'm a firm believer in "things happen for a reason".
Happy Hearts 07:17 PM 07-16-2012
Nickel.... breathe. and don't be so hard on yourself. You must have confidence in yourself. If you don't, your prospective customers will certainly sense it and not want you to care for their children.

Now, get on your website and work on it! Chin up, girl!!!!
Nickel 07:45 PM 07-16-2012
Thank you to both of you! I feel so much better. After wallowing in my miseray I got back on care.com and saw two new listings that I applied for. One was for an infant and one was for a one year old. One they are actually looking for someone in their home, but they are military and may need extended hours, which I am willing to offer, so I went ahead and sent a reply anyway. They may find they can't find someone in the area to come to their house, so they might want to meet with me anyway. The other one is not listed as being near me, but you never know. I let them know what area I lived in, so if they are willing to travel they'll let me know.

But regardless, I'm going to keep on moving forward. I'm working on my website now and I hope you all will give me some pointers and advice when I'm all finished.

And scrumptious, I completely agree. Everything happens for a reason. So it may not be the right time or the right family, but eventually I'll find someone who is a good fit with my program.

Thanks again, to everyone. I am too hard on myself and I need to stop. I will be confident, and even if I'm not, I'll fake it as best I can. I know I can take care of the children. I'm great with them, it's the parents I get nervous apart. Children aren't nearly as judgmental!
Nickel 08:10 PM 07-16-2012
She messaged me back!!! I was so worried I had said something wrong, when she was probably just busy! Jeez... Not sure if I'll we will work for each other, but at least I'll have the opportunity to try! Tonight I'm going to work on my website, handbook, and go over the interview sheet and tweak it for me. Then tomorrow I'm going to at least get things set up in the general area they need to be. My living room is set up mostly, it's my daughters room that I am trying to clear out. I can't believe how much stuff a two year old actually acquire! wow...

On top of that I have to run my oldest to gymnastics and take the two to the pool. I've been promising them for days! AND I have a huge yardsale fundraiser with my daughters team and I'm suppose to have 100 items for! I have the items set aside, sort of but I still need to go through the garage and sort everything out. Looks like it's going to be a few late nights for me this week, but it will so be worth it.

I'm actually realy excited about this interview because it means that I'll have time off between each semester. And the hours won't be terrible Wish me luck everyone!!! And thanks again for all of the support!!!
Crazy8 09:05 PM 07-16-2012
we were talking about this recently.... my profile was "denied" on care.com too - I see a ton of home daycares who weren't - but somehow not only was mine denied but I can't find any way to fix it and register it correctly. Not a fan of care.com here!!!
Nickel 09:27 PM 07-16-2012
Honestly i didnt even try to fix it. I just went ahead and applied to the jobs and said forget the profile. I did attempt to upload a new pic. Its stupid though. To fix it you need to create a new account and reg as a bussiness. Seems pretty stupid that you can change your status once you reg. So im not a fan but i will apply to the jobs listed there
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 07-17-2012
Here are some other threads about care.com https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=care.com

Check out the one posted by jojosmommy as I think that one explains why daycares can't or aren't suppose to use the listings. I don't know the exact rules but apparently many providers have issue with the site.

If it isn't that one, I know one of them explains it...
Tags:advertising, care.com, new clients, new enrollments
Reply Up