Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Website
dEHmom 09:20 AM 01-24-2011
I posted on the vistaprint thread, but thought i might be better to start a new one.

I am definitely interested in constructive criticism.

This is what I put together after reading the posts last week about the websites. I plan on adding pages of testimonials one day (not yet), as well as a calendar with all the dates on it. Just haven't found the right one yet.
There will definitely be some other pages added to it once I figure out how I want it. I was thinking of sort of a comments page where parents can post things but password protect it so that ONLY parents who are in my care currently can access. Not sure if that's even possible but who knows.
cillybean83 09:47 AM 01-24-2011
I really like it!! It's way better than mine, I put one together just so I could put a link in an email instead of taking the time to write out a looooong detailed email whenever someone contacts me about care!
dEHmom 09:51 AM 01-24-2011
aww thanks!

I still feel like it is missing something, but haven't figured out what just yet. I'm sure it will change slightly day by day until I get it just right.
kendallina 09:54 AM 01-24-2011
I love it! I think it's a nice mix of personal info about your own philosophy and why you do things the way you do and of poems/sayings about children. I really like that. I also like the big sign on the parent handbook page that says, "this is important". lol

My only feedback would be to maybe include pictures of the room you use most for daycare. Parents like to see that. That being said, I still haven't gotten my preschool room pictures up on my site...it's been on my to-do list for months....
dEHmom 09:57 AM 01-24-2011
Thanks Kendallina,
unfortunately, I do not have a daycare room/space. My whole house is daycare room lol, and the parents see that when they come for interview! lol.

I wish I did have a certain area, where I could show the pictures or it all organized.
kendallina 10:00 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
Thanks Kendallina,
unfortunately, I do not have a daycare room/space. My whole house is daycare room lol, and the parents see that when they come for interview! lol.

I wish I did have a certain area, where I could show the pictures or it all organized.
Maybe then a pic of the toy areas...or of your living area. I just think it personalizes the website a bit. But, like I said, I think it's a great website even without those pics...
SandeeAR 10:01 AM 01-24-2011
Very nice site. They only thing I can see missing is rates. If I was looking at your site, I would be interested in that.
dEHmom 10:02 AM 01-24-2011
I think I'll try and figure out a way to add some pictures. Most of my toys and stuff are in bins and most are in closets. So not really out in the open. I have some stuff, I'll see what I can figure out. But thanks for the advice!
littlemonkeys 10:03 AM 01-24-2011
I think it looks great!! Love how you worded everything and also loved the poems!
dEHmom 10:04 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Very nice site. They only thing I can see missing is rates. If I was looking at your site, I would be interested in that.
Yes and I had that up there!

Unfortunately, right now, I'm debating the rates because certain people I offer lower rates to. So I'm unsure how to do that. But I am thinking of posting them at 125/week, but on my ads I put reply through the website to get a discount, and then I'll tell them maybe 110/week or something.

Edit: added to website!
Sandbox 12:07 PM 01-24-2011
The large buttons on the contact page, and font on the home page give it a web 2.0 look and feel. There's a trend shifting to large buttons, font, images etc. on websites, it looks good.

This site talks about some of the stuff you're doing - http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009...ming-together/
Former Teacher 01:26 PM 01-24-2011
I posted on the vistaprint thread, but thought i might be better to start a new one.

I am definitely interested in constructive criticism.

This is what I put together after reading the posts last week about the websites. I plan on adding pages of testimonials one day (not yet), as well as a calendar with all the dates on it. Just haven't found the right one yet.
There will definitely be some other pages added to it once I figure out how I want it. I was thinking of sort of a comments page where parents can post things but password protect it so that ONLY parents who are in my care currently can access. Not sure if that's even possible but who knows.
I really liked your website! I especially loved the Toddler's Creed...an oldie but goodie

I do however have to comment on 2 things in your handbook that I noticed.

1: Under discipline you have stated that the last resort would be to put the child to bed. I don't know about standards in your area but here in TX that is against the law (unless its nap time)

2: I noticed that you don't have a section on meals. Do you provide meals or does the parent?

But like I said I think you did a great job!
dEHmom 01:27 PM 01-24-2011
Thanks!

I thought that one over too. To be honest, I had a lot of help on the handbook from others on here.

I've slowly been altering it, but haven't completely figured out what I want to do.

Thanks for pointing that out, because I meant to change that, but forgot all about it!
Former Teacher 02:00 PM 01-24-2011
Thanks!

I thought that one over too. To be honest, I had a lot of help on the handbook from others on here.

I've slowly been altering it, but haven't completely figured out what I want to do.

Thanks for pointing that out, because I meant to change that, but forgot all about it!
No problem

That's what we are here for
dEHmom 02:02 PM 01-24-2011
should check out that page again! lol. I found a really cute under construction sign!
jenh171 04:41 PM 01-24-2011
The website looks fantastic! I especially love the black and white "LOVE" spelled out with the children's hands...very cute. It's also very user-friendly/easy to navigate with the tabs up top. What did you use to create it? I've always wanted one, but have no idea how to go about it. I've just been using a blog and facebook page for now, but the site seems a bit more professional.

I also don't have a separate area for child care (for now...hopefully we're putting an addition on the house in the spring for that purpose.) If you wanted to personalize it, perhaps you could put a few pics of the kids playing or doing crafts or something.
Lucy 05:17 PM 01-24-2011
I would change the part in red. You started a sentence that clearly needs a comma, then more information - but you put a period and started a new sentence. Hope the following helps.

You wrote:
When your children must socialize with other children in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. This encourages their development in the following ways:

I would change it to:

When your children must socialize with other children in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment, it encourages their development in the following ways:

-OR-

Socializing with other children in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment encourages your child's development in the following ways:
ninosqueridos 05:29 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I would change the part in red. You started a sentence that clearly needs a comma, then more information - but you put a period and started a new sentence. Hope the following helps.

You wrote:
When your children must socialize with other children in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. This encourages their development in the following ways:

I would change it to:

When your children must socialize with other children in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment, it encourages their development in the following ways:

-OR-

Socializing with other children in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment encourages your child's development in the following ways:
yes, I noticed this, too!

Looks great!! I have one with weebly, too, and after seeing yours, I need to do some updating
Abigail 08:55 PM 01-24-2011
I can't view your handbook because it's under construction, but I noticed you didn't have a schedule or hours posted. Maybe I missed the hours posted becaues I didn't read it but I scanned through it. You do have lots of pictures and one with a child running(?) by a large object in the middle of a small field....what is it? LOL
dEHmom 04:05 AM 01-25-2011
Thanks Joyce! I didn't even notice that and I've read it a million times! Will definitely update!

Jenh it's weebly.com but someone showed me about webs.com yesterday and that shows you where people are clicking into your site from. I think that's better. But the user friendliness of weebly was awesome!

Abigail, I didn't post hours, but I did at some point have that it is contracted from family to family. But it may have gotten deleted without me noticing! I'll look into it. Thanks for pointing it out.

The picture you are talking about, is it a big brownish colored angled bin? That's a garbage/recycle station.
SilverSabre25 05:14 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:

You wrote:

I would change it to:

-OR-

To be technical, she could also use a semi-colon. However, I like your second option the best.
misol 05:15 AM 01-25-2011
Baybee, I think the content and layout of your website is great! The only thing I would suggest is changing the font type. Nobody else has mentioned it so it may be just me, but I think that the small, cursive font makes it very hard to read through quickly. JMHO.
dEHmom 05:17 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by misol:
Baybee, I think the content and layout of your website is great! The only thing I would suggest is changing the font type. Nobody else has mentioned it so it may be just me, but I think that the small, cursive font makes it very hard to read through quickly. JMHO.
Thanks, someone mentioned font on another thread, and so I went and changed it to the most "playful" font I could find. LOL!

I will definitely look at it again.
dEHmom 09:10 AM 01-25-2011
what is better? Putting policy handbook on the website, or putting attachment on website?
dEHmom 10:18 AM 01-28-2011
AWWWWW great testimonials were added. I love my dcp's. But I cannot figure out who the anonymous is. unless maybe it's my sister in law? but I posted it anyway lol.
dEHmom 01:21 PM 02-08-2011
ugh, I can't edit the website off of this one! Help anyone?
DCMomOf3 01:43 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
ugh, I can't edit the website off of this one! Help anyone?
There you go.
dEHmom 10:40 AM 02-09-2011
thank you!!!!!
Tags:advertising, vistaprint, website
Reply Up