Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Offer The Families Vacation Days...
SunflowerMama 06:19 AM 12-06-2011
What do you do when it comes to siblings?

I give each family 10 vacation days to use per year...with 2 weeks notice.

I was just thinking though if it's a family with siblings it's almost like they are getting 20 paid days since it's 2 children.

For example if a family with one child wants to take off the week after Christmas I lose one week's pay and they use 5 days. If a family with sibling's is out I lose twice a week's pay and they still only use 5 days.

So how do you deal with vacation days for families with siblings?
MyAngels 06:22 AM 12-06-2011
Here both children get the free week, even if they are sibs. It is no different than if you had two different families with one child each. If they both decided to take that week as their vacation then I would not be paid for either child.

I think of it as "per slot" rather than "per family."
AnneCordelia 06:24 AM 12-06-2011
I agree with the previous poster.
It's by the slot. Two unrelated children taking 5 days vacation would effect you the same way.
Meyou 06:33 AM 12-06-2011
It's a slot to me as well. I require 4 weeks notice for vacation weeks so I have time to adjust my budget.
Mandy_Jane 06:35 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
What do you do when it comes to siblings?

I give each family 10 vacation days to use per year...with 2 weeks notice.

I was just thinking though if it's a family with siblings it's almost like they are getting 20 paid days since it's 2 children.

For example if a family with one child wants to take off the week after Christmas I lose one week's pay and they use 5 days. If a family with sibling's is out I lose twice a week's pay and they still only use 5 days.

So how do you deal with vacation days for families with siblings?
It's not ALMOST like they're getting 20 paid vacation days, they ARE getting 20 paid vacation days. But as others have said, it would be the same situation as 2 separate families who just so happened to take vacation at the same time. If you are going to offer the vacation time to the families, you need to be prepared for when the stars aline and every one decides to use their vacation the same week. If you can't handle a week like that, then maybe you should not be offering the free vacation.
Cat Herder 07:50 AM 12-06-2011
It is "per family".....not per child here. I require a minimum 30 day notice to adjust my spending.

I am already taking a risk by enrolling sibling groups, many don't anymore. It is also a COURTESY to offer unpaid vacation time... MOST here do not.

Go with what works for your program. You do not have to offer it.

If you also have a sibling discount you can make the unpaid vacation invalid for siblings. They would then be paying partial payment during their vacation.
bice99 07:52 AM 12-06-2011
Mine is per family and I updated it this year to be:
*After 6 months of care, families will start earning vacation weeks. For each 6 months of continuous care, one week of vacation at half rate may be taken. It must be used before your current contract ends each June 30th. These must be taken as calendar weeks and may not be taken during my listed closed days or spot holding times (maternity leaves, summer vacation for teachers, etc). Any additional vacation time per year requires full payment of fees. Many families choose to take their vacation during provider’s vacation time. 3 unpaid non-attendance days will be given for bereavement of a family member.
Unregistered 08:41 AM 12-06-2011
My policy is 10 days per kid per year but I also have 10 days off paid. What ususally happens is I tell everyone I am going to have a day off and it will be paid. If they do not want to pay then they need to use a vacation day. Then I credit them the day I am off or don't charge depending on when they have paid. They can use the 10 days for sick days or days they don't want to send the kid. They can even use it on a holiday if they don't want to pay me for a paid holiday.

Basically I count on the fact that each year I will have 10 days without kids (or 10 days each child does not attend for whatever reason) and I will not get paid for those days. I budget the whole year accordingly. Usually around October I remind parents how many days they have left to use up and they let me know when they want to. I think it makes the parents feel more like they are in control and it ends up the same for me anyway so it limits their complaints.
Crazy8 09:48 AM 12-06-2011
for me siblings are contracted separately, so yes, they would EACH get that number of days as vacation days (I only give 5 days). Wouldn't make a difference to me if they use it together (both kids out 5 days) or use it separately (like use it for sick time, etc.). Comes to the same amount of money either way.

It's exactly the same as if 2 single child families took the week off. This is why siblings are more of a liability and makes it laughable that they always want a discount.
lisa@tinytots 10:02 AM 12-06-2011
I can't afford to offer vacation days. I do not charge on the days I am closed for any reason. That is the way I have had to work it. In the past I gave them 10 vacation days and I didn't charge when I was closed for my sick or vacation days. I lost too much $
wdmmom 10:47 AM 12-06-2011
I no longer offer vacation days. Parents pay the same rate each week for the entire year.
Tags:unpaid days, unpaid vacation, vacation - parents, vacation - with parents, vacation policy
Reply Up