Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Non-Nappers And The Two Week Trial Period
preschoolteacher 11:30 AM 01-08-2014
Hi everyone!

I started a new 2 year old child this week. She only comes one day per week from 9 AM to 3:30 PM while Mom runs errands in the area. Our nap time is 1 PM to 3 PM. I believe that I made it very clear that we nap here, and everyone is expected to nap. There are policies in our handbook that I gave the parents. I gave them a separate sheet of paper JUST on napping and detailed that if a child has grown out of the nap then the program is not the right fit for the child.

Today at drop-off Mom told me that the child has not been napping at all. I said okay, we'll give it a try.

I started DCG out in a bedroom with one other 2-year-old. She was in a Pack-N-Play as parents requested, but she was throwing her stuffed toy onto the other girl's bed and crawled out of the Pack-N-Play to roam the room. The other child was not able to sleep and was crying...so I moved her to the ONLY other place... our front living room. Not an ideal nap place since I now have to be silent.

Right now,she's flopping around and making noises, but she hasn't gotten out of the Pack-N-Play.

What would you do? In all other senses, the child is very "easy" as far as any two year old goes.

I typically do a 2-week trial, but since the child only comes one day per week it seems like 2 weeks won't do must to adjust her. Would you give it a longer trial period to see if napping improves? Or am I kidding myself that this one will nap?
Cat Herder 12:01 PM 01-08-2014
Hmm.... I have never had a kid use that few hours so maybe she really isn't tired yet?? Yeah, I know nobody has ever heard me say that...

My hope is that it is just transitioning stress = nervous energy. One day a week may not be hard to accommodate if you'd really like to keep her or a complete nightmare if you do.... It is a toss up.

Gah... I am of no help here... In your shoes I'd like to be able to make one of those awesome PNP tents, give her some magnet dress up doll sets and call it a day (2yo's are my fav age and full time pay for 6 hours of care sounds like a glitter norwahl to me ), but would that throw off you entire program??

I don't do pt time $$, so don't have much experience whether keeping her would be financially worth it for you..
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 01-08-2014
Ugh, I am currently in the same boat. I don't know if this little guy is going to make it past the two week trial period though for the same reason.

In my case, he comes T,W,Th from 9-5. Happy, social kid. Eats great but freaks out when it is nap time.

SCREAMS bloody murder (not crying but is yelling at me) and has NOT stopped since nap began.

Did a random day last week just because, came yesterday and all was good. TOTALLY different story today.

He has "climbing" issues too and will try to slap my hand if I try to redirect him or pick him up.

When I asked mom about discipline/guidance she seriously looked at me like this: and said: "Why in the world would anyone need to discipline a 1 year old?"

So, (((((HUGS))))) because I know exactly what you are dealing with.
cheerfuldom 04:43 PM 01-08-2014
I dont think any amount of time will help a one day a week child adjust. Either they fit in or they dont. A kid isnt going to be able to train to naptime when you are only doing it once a week. Either you can deal with the living room "nap" once a week for the extra money or not.
daycarediva 06:06 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I dont think any amount of time will help a one day a week child adjust. Either they fit in or they dont. A kid isnt going to be able to train to naptime when you are only doing it once a week. Either you can deal with the living room "nap" once a week for the extra money or not.
yup. I have a scheduled three day, but comes more like 1 1/2 day kid who rarely naps. I deal with it because its worth the money for me.
AcornMama 07:25 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
yup. I have a scheduled three day, but comes more like 1 1/2 day kid who rarely naps. I deal with it because its worth the money for me.
And I do nap time in the living room with me, which means I have to be fairly quiet, because it's my only option and worth the money to me.

Sorry, wish I had better advice. My only thought is along the lines of giving part-timers a longer trial period.
Play Care 02:55 AM 01-09-2014
So let me see, you made it clear that napping was required, mom drops off the first day and says "oh by the way, she doesn't nap?"

That always irritates me, because essentially the parent makes the right words to get the spot but them gives an "oh by the way" after the fact. To me it screams disrespect. And I'm left to wonder what other surprises are going to come up.

I had to let a family go last year because of the no naps issue. They refused to lay quietly and cried, screamed and gagged through naps. Despite my having pointed out during the interview that naps are required, the parents decided NOT to tell me their kids didn't nap. Two words, BUH-bye.
DaycareMom 11:19 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ugh, I am currently in the same boat. I don't know if this little guy is going to make it past the two week trial period though for the same reason.

In my case, he comes T,W,Th from 9-5. Happy, social kid. Eats great but freaks out when it is nap time.

SCREAMS bloody murder (not crying but is yelling at me) and has NOT stopped since nap began.

Did a random day last week just because, came yesterday and all was good. TOTALLY different story today.

He has "climbing" issues too and will try to slap my hand if I try to redirect him or pick him up.

When I asked mom about discipline/guidance she seriously looked at me like this: and said: "Why in the world would anyone need to discipline a 1 year old?"

So, (((((HUGS))))) because I know exactly what you are dealing with.

How did you respond?

How did you
DaycareMom 11:20 AM 01-09-2014
^^^ Only meant to say it the first time. lol
preschoolteacher 12:16 PM 01-09-2014
Update!

The living room napper... actually napped!!... for 1.5 hours. Would have been longer, but the other kids woke up, and since she was in the living room, they woke her up.

Mom looked really surprised when I told her!

I think this may just work out.
Blackcat31 01:37 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
How did you respond?
I just told her that she must be misunderstanding what I mean by discipline/guidance.

I am sure she was thinking punish or consequence.

However, I just explained that even 1 year olds need guidance and discipline. I gave her a few scenarios of when this would apply.

I also talked with her a bit about under estimating her child's intelligence.

IME, most parents still believe their children are not capable of a majority of things that I require they do on a regular basis. You know things like listen or follow directions...

I also made darn sure to explain that if she didn't guide or discipline her 1 year old now, he would end up being an daycare hopper as he aged because most providers I know don't tolerate kids who don't know how to listen (follow rules) and/or follow directions.
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Update!

The living room napper... actually napped!!... for 1.5 hours. Would have been longer, but the other kids woke up, and since she was in the living room, they woke her up.

Mom looked really surprised when I told her!

I think this may just work out.
Glad you had a better day.

Maybe there still is hope!
DaycareMom 02:09 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I just told her that she must be misunderstanding what I mean by discipline/guidance.

I am sure she was thinking punish or consequence.

However, I just explained that even 1 year olds need guidance and discipline. I gave her a few scenarios of when this would apply.

I also talked with her a bit about under estimating her child's intelligence.

IME, most parents still believe their children are not capable of a majority of things that I require they do on a regular basis. You know things like listen or follow directions...

I also made darn sure to explain that if she didn't guide or discipline her 1 year old now, he would end up being an daycare hopper as he aged because most providers I know don't tolerate kids who don't know how to listen (follow rules) and/or follow directions.

Yes, so true! Kids are smart and parents sometimes underestimate their intelligence.
Reply Up