Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Having A Backbone Issue
bunnyslippers 12:10 PM 03-19-2013
We are on our 7th snow day here. After the first five, payment is required. The first 5 are free b/c we make them up at the end of the school year...after 5, it just becomes to much of a burden financially for me (so far, I have not been paid $3,000 due to snow days). I also had to take 2 sick days last week, both that are paid sick days. To top it off, a lot of parents have had to stay home due to their kids being sick...it has just been a bad month here!

I know my dcfs are annoyed, as over the past 2 weeks we have had 2 sick days, and 3 snow days. I have had people ask me day in-day out what they owe me for payments. I have been tough and let them know that all the days have been paid...but I am getting huge attitude from lots of them. I know tomorrow I am going to be faced with more attitude and questions. I just don't feel like having the tense talks anymore...I feel like I am starting to wimp out, but I can't!!!!! I hate this part of the job~
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 03-19-2013
(((hugs))))

Make several pages of your handbook where it states your closing/paid days rules and simply highlight the areas in question and whenever someone give you attitude, say "Well, didn't you read the contract/handbook which you signed and agreed to?" and then smile and hand them the page.

NOT your problem when people agree to something they find out later they don't like.
CedarCreek 12:26 PM 03-19-2013
Well goodness, can't you control the weather there bunnyslippers??

I agree with bc. It's not your problem.
mrsnj 12:39 PM 03-19-2013
So snow days.... Does that mean just when it snows? State emergancy? Or just days school and all close too? I am open no matter what. If they don't come they don't come. So I was curious on what a snow day is considered. I understand the tension though. I have said I am a bit of a marshmallow so I might not be the best to advise but if it was state emergency, that is not your fault. If you choose to close and you feel people are getting pissy, maybe make a good faith offer like " well my rules clearly state I should get paid for *** days but under the circumstances I am only going to charge for four days" ?? This way it takes some of the blow off. But make it clear it is YOUR decision and your trying to be generous or you will get hit the next time you close.
bunnyslippers 12:44 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
So snow days.... Does that mean just when it snows? State emergancy? Or just days school and all close too? I am open no matter what. If they don't come they don't come. So I was curious on what a snow day is considered. I understand the tension though. I have said I am a bit of a marshmallow so I might not be the best to advise but if it was state emergency, that is not your fault. If you choose to close and you feel people are getting pissy, maybe make a good faith offer like " well my rules clearly state I should get paid for *** days but under the circumstances I am only going to charge for four days" ?? This way it takes some of the blow off. But make it clear it is YOUR decision and your trying to be generous or you will get hit the next time you close.
I only take teacher's kids, so it is a now day if school is closed due to weather and they don't have to go to work (the snow days are added to the end of the school year calendar).
bunnyslippers 12:45 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
(((hugs))))

Make several pages of your handbook where it states your closing/paid days rules and simply highlight the areas in question and whenever someone give you attitude, say "Well, didn't you read the contract/handbook which you signed and agreed to?" and then smile and hand them the page.

NOT your problem when people agree to something they find out later they don't like.
Good call, I am making those copies now. Thanks!
mrsnj 12:51 PM 03-19-2013
Ahhhhhhh. I get it now. So you didnt really close. School closed and they stayed home *light bulb*. Lol. Ok. I would charge
SquirrellyMama 01:00 PM 03-19-2013
Won't you make the money back up at the end of the year due to extra school days? Will they end up double charged if you start charging for snow days and they bring their kids when the school makes up the days?

I may not be reading correctly?

ETA- I totally understand a $3000 financial burden.

K
NeedaVaca 01:20 PM 03-19-2013
The teacher still get paid though right? Why shouldn't you? and to top it off they get the huge bonus of spending extra quality time with their precious children. win win for everyone
SquirrellyMama 01:33 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
The teacher still get paid though right? Why shouldn't you? and to top it off they get the huge bonus of spending extra quality time with their precious children. win win for everyone
Yes and no, I think. They will get paid but they make up the work at the end of the year. They aren't getting paid extra for those make up days. At least, that is how teachers have always explained it to me.

K
bunnyslippers 01:42 PM 03-19-2013
They will have to make it up at the end of the year, and yes, they will be double-charged - maybe. In past years, when we go over 5 days, they schools will find other ways to make up the time. One year, they added minutes onto every school day for a month. Another year, they added Saturdays. In those years, I have ended up losing money b/c of the way the time was made up. Also, when the years run very late (like the end of June) I find that a lot of my teachers will find other care that last week, will call in b/c of vacation plans, etc. I just have always been screwed over whenever the year goes late, so my policy is written this way. It has been this way, in my contract, for 5 years. The parents are well aware of the policy...they just seem to be conveniently forgetting.
SquirrellyMama 01:46 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
They will have to make it up at the end of the year, and yes, they will be double-charged - maybe. In past years, when we go over 5 days, they schools will find other ways to make up the time. One year, they added minutes onto every school day for a month. Another year, they added Saturdays. In those years, I have ended up losing money b/c of the way the time was made up. Also, when the years run very late (like the end of June) I find that a lot of my teachers will find other care that last week, will call in b/c of vacation plans, etc. I just have always been screwed over whenever the year goes late, so my policy is written this way. It has been this way, in my contract, for 5 years. The parents are well aware of the policy...they just seem to be conveniently forgetting.
Ok, I can see that. I wondered if they found other care instead. They signed the contract. I'd definitely give them a copy of this policy when they complain. That will save you from having to explain it several times.

K
Tags:backbone
Reply Up