Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another sick case of not being honest
daycare 03:02 PM 12-19-2014
I have a dck age 2 that has been sick with a croup sounding cough since mid Nov. I told DCM after 2 straight weeks that the child needs to go to the doc to be seen.

NOw I don't know if the child was actually seen in the doc office or if they had a phone appt, because phone appts are very popular here. I get back the form from the doc that says, possible asthma? WTF you can't diagnosis at that young of an age, but ok. SO I ask why all the coughing then? What is the ause of the coughing, is there some kind of virus or repository infection? Stupid question, but I was not happy with the doctors note.

I require kid to stay home for a full 48 hours with all the new fancy inhalers dck got.

well dck is still sick with this cough, monday I made dcm take back to the doctors. I said no phone appts, I need dck to be seen. Again they say it's asthma, but then dcm writes in with allergic component???. I tell dcm that I am excluding due to the constant coughing, no one wants to eat lunch with a kid that coughs in their food/face or at any time of the day really. So dcm is pissed. Well now all of my dcks are sick. I have early on set pneumonia and I am LIVID.

I really feel like DCM was with holding information from me. I argued with them that asthma does not cause you to cough like that, however, if you have respiratory infection and asthma, it may complicate things, however, I am not buying the cough is because the child only has asthma.

How do you challenge a doctor....I did exclude for the symptoms and still we all got sick...Of course, does not mean from this child it is possible we got it from else where, but everyone has the same horrible wheezy cough, with cough attacks during nap time.

moving forward I know this is going to happen again. I felt I did what I could, but I argued with the DCM of course they are standing behind what the doc says and I am saying NO. BTW I grew up a life long asthmatic with 1 child that is also asthmatic, so I am not a good person to challenge on asthma related illnesses. lol

Doctors here will write whatever you want them to, you don't even need to go in. Get a video appointment too and they will pretty much write whatever you want down on that paper. LIke we say exclude for the symptoms, not what the child has, but how do you keep challenging a doctor? Of course the parent is going to stick with what the doc is saying even though I am the one that is with the kid for 10 hours a day.....
Josiegirl 03:27 PM 12-19-2014
Maybe not letting her ds into care will wake her up to get serious. I have had dcks with asthma and they've never had a croupy cough like that. Maybe asthma affects kids differently but even so, a bad cough as you described should not go on for that length of time should it??

I wouldn't know how to contest what the doctor writes down but you always have the option to term if he's constantly that sick, which means your whole daycare is going to constantly be sick.
daycare 03:33 PM 12-19-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Maybe not letting her ds into care will wake her up to get serious. I have had dcks with asthma and they've never had a croupy cough like that. Maybe asthma affects kids differently but even so, a bad cough as you described should not go on for that length of time should it??

I wouldn't know how to contest what the doctor writes down but you always have the option to term if he's constantly that sick, which means your whole daycare is going to constantly be sick.
the thing is, is that if you truly have asthma, its something you always have to manage, not just when you get a cold or allergies... according to the dcm dck does not have either of these cold or allergies??/

I did have her keep her child out, but it took 2 days of debating and fighting dcm to get her to agree.... this family otherwise is great and I can see their point of well the doc said so.

my husband is a licensed physician, but I don't let him get involved with my dcks due to the liability it would create. he also did call bs on this too..
snbauser 07:17 PM 12-19-2014
Obviously I can't say whether dck was/is sick or not but asthma can be a cough. I have "allergy induced asthma" which basically means that when I get a cold or bad allergy flare, my asthma flares. I don't ever wheeze. I cough instead. It took me a long time to be able to tell the difference between my asthmatic cough and just a cough at the tale end of a cold or allergy flare.

In dcb's case, whether it is asthma or an illness, the parents need to get it under control before he can attend. I don't exclude for a specific illness. I exclude for the symptoms.
daycare 08:03 PM 12-19-2014
I am like you. Allergy related.
But according to dck dcb doesn't have allergies. Lol

So she said it's just an asthma cough that only comes every three months ?
sharlan 08:14 PM 12-19-2014
decided not to reply
Cradle2crayons 09:34 PM 12-19-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a dck age 2 that has been sick with a croup sounding cough since mid Nov. I told DCM after 2 straight weeks that the child needs to go to the doc to be seen.

NOw I don't know if the child was actually seen in the doc office or if they had a phone appt, because phone appts are very popular here. I get back the form from the doc that says, possible asthma? WTF you can't diagnosis at that young of an age, but ok. SO I ask why all the coughing then? What is the ause of the coughing, is there some kind of virus or repository infection? Stupid question, but I was not happy with the doctors note.

I require kid to stay home for a full 48 hours with all the new fancy inhalers dck got.

well dck is still sick with this cough, monday I made dcm take back to the doctors. I said no phone appts, I need dck to be seen. Again they say it's asthma, but then dcm writes in with allergic component???. I tell dcm that I am excluding due to the constant coughing, no one wants to eat lunch with a kid that coughs in their food/face or at any time of the day really. So dcm is pissed. Well now all of my dcks are sick. I have early on set pneumonia and I am LIVID.

I really feel like DCM was with holding information from me. I argued with them that asthma does not cause you to cough like that, however, if you have respiratory infection and asthma, it may complicate things, however, I am not buying the cough is because the child only has asthma.

How do you challenge a doctor....I did exclude for the symptoms and still we all got sick...Of course, does not mean from this child it is possible we got it from else where, but everyone has the same horrible wheezy cough, with cough attacks during nap time.

moving forward I know this is going to happen again. I felt I did what I could, but I argued with the DCM of course they are standing behind what the doc says and I am saying NO. BTW I grew up a life long asthmatic with 1 child that is also asthmatic, so I am not a good person to challenge on asthma related illnesses. lol

Doctors here will write whatever you want them to, you don't even need to go in. Get a video appointment too and they will pretty much write whatever you want down on that paper. LIke we say exclude for the symptoms, not what the child has, but how do you keep challenging a doctor? Of course the parent is going to stick with what the doc is saying even though I am the one that is with the kid for 10 hours a day.....
I have parents sign a release for me and one at the dr saying I can call and ask questions if I need to. The release has to be on file with their dr for it to count.
SignMeUp 10:04 PM 12-19-2014
From the children I've known with asthma, it could be asthma.
BUT it would be uncontrolled asthma, in which case the child should not be in care until it is under control.
Asthma can be deadly, and until any flare-up is under control, the child needs closer supervision than can be provided in group care.
It's their breathing, for goodness sake.
Pepperth 05:24 AM 12-20-2014
My son is 4 and was just labelled asthmatic due to his croupy cough. However, his cough is always triggered by something. Its like he catches a cold, and then the asthma cough kicks in until we use his breathing treatment for a couple days. I think that you're right that dkb needs to see the doctor in person. It sounds like his symptoms are not under control if he's still coughing after taking treatment for a bit.
Reply Up