Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Happens When You're the Only Teacher Reporting Abuse?
Unregistered 03:54 AM 03-10-2020
So there was some teachers at my old center abusing and neglecting our students. 9 other teachers also know about their abuse. I was the only one to report and tell the investigators the truth. They ended up not finding anything (no cameras and other witnesses were silent). Then the higher ups found out I reported it (I told them) and basically pressured me into resignation. Then they lied to my coworkers and said, "Ms.X was caught in lie and terminated."

I'm pretty pissed the other teachers left me and their students to drown. Basically all the teachers in the infant/toddler department know about it. Has anyone been in a similar boat? How did you get over it? I'm still hung up on it because justice hasn't been served.

Does cps keep going back to the daycare ? Will they check ever 2 weeks? Or what? Idk. I'm still sad about the situation. Wish the other teachers would say something.
Ariana 04:59 AM 03-10-2020
There isn’t much that can be done if you reported and the investigator found nothing to substantiate your claims. You cannot control other people and what they will do in this situation. Maybe next time get real physical proof before reporting and don’t rely on other people to back up your claims.

You could sue the daycare as another recourse but that will be expensive and lengthy and again without evidence it is your word against theirs. The witnesses would be subpoenaed to testify under oath however but they might lie anyway.

I think at this point you have to accept that you did the best you could and move on. We have all had to do this at one point or another in this career. I fear that it is affecting your mental health. Maybe go talk to a therapist about it? I am beginning to learn that my mental health should be first before everything else, even kids.
Rockgirl 08:10 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I think at this point you have to accept that you did the best you could and move on. We have all had to do this at one point or another in this career. I fear that it is affecting your mental health. Maybe go talk to a therapist about it? I am beginning to learn that my mental health should be first before everything else, even kids.

I agree with this. I think it’s time to move on.
Bluemoon5 11:49 AM 03-10-2020
I also agree with the above. It's very important for you to find some way to let this go. Right now those other teachers have power of you/ your mood and thoughts. Take that power back and don't let them control you any more.

You control what you do/think/feel. They control themselves. You did the right thing, you did what you could. It didn't end well and that's not right and it's not fair but that's the way life is sometimes. Accepting that and learning how to move on is key to finding peace/happiness.

I've struggled with letting other people's moods or actions dictate how I feel. I'm only now learning how to recognize that's it's happening and stopping it. One "mantra" that's helped me is "bless them, change me." I can only control myself.

If you are seriously struggling to move on please consider talking to a therapist as was suggested above. I know several people who see therapists and they are all of the opinion that everyone should be in therapy.
flying_babyb 05:17 PM 03-10-2020
Been there! got fired over it. I had called on a daycare where a special needs child was put in time out in the lunchroom, while the director made lunch. The child was 4, he was left to sit over a hour and a half, and eventually fell asleep on the time out bench. I called state,Not a single teacher would back me, even though they all knew. I was pissed. I ended up getting fired over it. took awile to get over it, but I was pleased to see them get nailed a week later with a ton of violations!
Unregistered 11:57 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
I was pissed. I ended up getting fired over it. took awile to get over it, but I was pleased to see them get nailed a week later with a ton of violations!
Thanks for this! I'm hoping they will find something or someone will crack! That's all I want!
Josiegirl 03:45 AM 03-11-2020
Please believe you did NOTHING wrong. YOU were the only one who tried to make positive changes to help those children. It's everyone else who stayed quiet who ought to be feeling the guilt you've placed upon yourself.
I hope you can let it go and find peace within your own heart. It's NOT you who failed them. It's the other adults who were too scared to speak up and support you, and it's the system.
Please do talk with someone if you still find yourself obsessed about it over time. YOU deserve the peace of mind you should be feeling that you're the only one who did the right thing.

A side question: Have you been able to find other work? I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but I think it was you who swore off working in the child education field ever again?
Unregistered 06:11 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
A side question: Have you been able to find other work? I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but I think it was you who swore off working in the child education field ever again?
Yeah I'm the one who swore off ECE. I haven't found anything yet, but, I'm probably gonna end up working in a grocery store. I plan on going to school full-time and eventually go to nursing school.

There is a group home I want to volunteer at. That way I can still work with children just not everyday
Tags:complaint, reporting - daycare, reporting - suspected abuse
Reply Up