Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policies...
mismatchedsocks 11:34 AM 08-26-2011
I have a 13 page contract. Its pretty detailed but reading some of the things on here makes me want to add on to mine. I have been adding to it for about 11 years, and am pretty happy with it. But I figure I will touch it up and rehand out to parents at confrence time at end of year.

What are the most important things that need to be included?
What are some things that you include now because of issues that have come up?
If parents are reading this what do you want spelled out to you that is still unclear sometimes?

Do you write about your teachings, curriculum or anything like that in yours?
Thanks!
Blackcat31 02:07 PM 08-26-2011
My contract/handbook started out very basic, 3 or 4 pages. I added more as I got more experienced and needed to address more situations I hadn't thought of earlier. I think the longest it got to be was about 15 pages with a million sub-topics and updates constantly.

Fast forward a decade or so and I have a one page contract and that is it.

Everything is discussed in depth with my families, during the interview, when things come up and if I, or they, feel the need to talk about or address something. There is no way I could cover every topic and area in writting that needs to be discussed and formatted to meet each unique families needs.

Now, I am really just super duper good at just saying what I want/need/allow and we go from there. My parents are very respectable and if they arent sure or a new situation arises, we talk about it. What I let fly with one parent or family, I may not allow another parent to do. Every provider-client relationship is different.

My backbone is good and strong and my communication skills are the best they have ever been in regards to running the type of business I want to run.
rjskids 02:44 PM 08-26-2011
I'm actually going to redo mine and delete some things. I feel like if I write it in there than I can't change it and parents will expect me to uphold it myself. I've figured out that I am constantly changing things as far as my daily routine and curriculum. Ex: I wrote in there my naptime starts at 12:30. Well, with the kids I have they are very loud about wanting to eat by 11:30 and are rubbing their eyes shortly after. I've tried holding them off but I'd rather have an early naptime than a bunch of sad, tired kids. But the other day I found out one of my parents (bless their heart) were trying to hold their daughter off till 12:30 to stay on my schedule. I also wrote in there no sippy cups but I've actually asked a couple parents to bring their sippy cause the kids have figured out how to open mine
I, too, have very good communication with my parents so beyond the basics everything else they need to know will be verbal.
PitterPatter 05:53 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
I have a 13 page contract. Its pretty detailed but reading some of the things on here makes me want to add on to mine. I have been adding to it for about 11 years, and am pretty happy with it. But I figure I will touch it up and rehand out to parents at confrence time at end of year.

What are the most important things that need to be included?
What are some things that you include now because of issues that have come up?
If parents are reading this what do you want spelled out to you that is still unclear sometimes?

Do you write about your teachings, curriculum or anything like that in yours?
Thanks!
I find myself needing to add to mine with almost every new client because they seem to bring up a new issue that I hadn't thought of.

My most important policy is the illness policy! Then the payment and fees for late pick up and late payment. Of course the late pickup policy. NO food or toys from home is another biggy.

This year I had to add desruction of property because I have a DCM that allows her 2 yr old to roam my deck the length of my home and just toss things off. I finally had to buy a special gate to block off some of the deck. Just yesterday they were down to the car and we had said our goodbyes. I peek back out to find DCB pulling the flower heads off of my Mum plant and when I told him to stop that DCM giggled and said "jonny what are you doing??" So that policy will be reminded in the September newsletter.

That's another thing, any policy that may need a reminder I post in the news letter. I always post at least 1 reminder policy each month. Some people just need a refresher and some just dont give a dam but I make an effort anyway.

I also had to add no tobacco products in my home this yr because I have a DCD coming in with a face full of chew and he struggles to talk with it about to run out of his mouth. I stand there about to gag as he slurps it back so it doesnt drip on my carpet. Also had a DCM bring a few lit cigarettes in, so I had to stop that.

Whatever is most important to YOU then I say add it. What ever problems you are having ADD IT! I use to feel bad that my handbook was so long but if I don't type it out and discuss it then they don't know because not everyone has common sense these days.
Tags:policies, policy - categories
Reply Up