Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>LMBO!!! Tell The Parents? Or Just Say Nothing???
youretooloud 12:03 PM 06-07-2011
This cracked me up!

I have five older kids here today. (four three yr olds and one four yr old)

Two sets of twins. The twin's parents are friends from some twins club. So, they get together a lot.

Apparently they party. (they all teach school too!)

Twin A-1 said (two twin B-1) "You pretend to hide my weed, and I get really mad". So, twin B-1 asked if he could have a ziplock bag. (well, of course)

I gave him a Hello Kitty baggy. He said "My dad doesn't have Hello kitty bags for his weed". I suggested we paint instead.

Twins A-2 and B-2 sat down to paint second, and told me all about how the daddies hide the weed from the mommies.

LMBO. I nearly died, but had to put a stop to the conversation. It was funny, but way too much information. It's almost nap time. Hopefully we don't revisit the weed conversation again.
Kaddidle Care 12:20 PM 06-07-2011

dEHmom 12:22 PM 06-07-2011
wow, hmmm.......clearly these parents need some parenting advice. children should not know about weed. worst case funny cigarettes or something. but not the name weed.

i think you should mention to the parents the situation, either with a note sent home, or call a meeting where the children are NOT present.
daycare 12:23 PM 06-07-2011
Holy cow moly..... sad. I don't have anything against weed, I have never done it, will never. I think that it is sad that at this age they know what it is. It's obvious they have been subjected to it. hopefully they dont smoke it around the kids.....

Sorry I am a party pooper, I don't really see this as funny. I would say something to the parents....
SandeeAR 12:28 PM 06-07-2011
Wow, just Wow!!!

I know I lived a sheltered life as a kid, but I didn't even know what weed was until I was a teen.

I would talk to the parents too. I would have to let them know that I did NOT think this was appropriate for a child to be exposed to. I'm unlisenced, so don't know the rules here. But is this something you are required to report as a mandated reporter?

I think I would be searching any bag the child brought in to make sure they weren't hiding the weed there. That would put YOU in a dangerous situation.
dEHmom 12:31 PM 06-07-2011
even if the parents dont' realize the kids know what it is, they need to be more careful about it. it MUST be brought to their attention, and that it needs to be kept from the child.

if the dads are hiding it from the mommies, then they are not doing a good enough job, that the kids know about it. how can the moms not know but the kids do?
youretooloud 12:36 PM 06-07-2011
Yes.. it was funny.. but, the more I think about it, the more disturbed I am.

So, this sounds like they all sit and smoke pot while the kids play in the same room, and they clearly discuss it in front of them.

I have no problem with pot... in your home, with adults only. Not in front of three year olds. Also, if they do all smoke together (the parents) that means one family is driving home.

So.. I should say something to the parents?
youretooloud 12:37 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I think I would be searching any bag the child brought in to make sure they weren't hiding the weed there. That would put YOU in a dangerous situation.
I'm not worried about that... they don't bring anything unless it's swimming day, and then it's only a suit and sunscreen.
Mom_of_two 12:41 PM 06-07-2011
It makes me sad and concerned. I'm a licensed alcohol and drug counselor, so have a lot of experience working with adolescents in treatment for substance abuse, and families. I am sure there are people out there who 'party' responsibly and it doesn't necessarily make them horrible parents etc. (though in this case they are breaking the law) but I have pretty strong feelings (and probably bias) about it..... I would say something, not to place judgement but to bring it to their attention.
Wow, what a weird experience that must have been-can't imagine! My jaw would have dropped, lol.
kidkair 12:42 PM 06-07-2011
I would definitely inform the moms. I'd also send an e-mail off to my licensor to be on the safe side for the mandated reporter thing.
dEHmom 12:46 PM 06-07-2011
i've noticed over the years, that if someone smokes weed inside, you can smell it. not only the unsmoked stuff in the hiding places, but the smoke from marijuana lingers thickly in the room, and other parts of the house.

if they are smoking inside, that's bad. but even if they are not smoking around the kids, the kids are fully aware that it's weed, they know it by name, and they know it's different than cigarettes. they KNOW it's a drug, they KNOW daddy smokes it, they THINK it's ok.

when we used to smoke cigarettes our daughter grabbed a pack one day, and sat there with one in her mouth, and lighter in hand. of course she was too small to clearly understand but that was our wake up call. THAT was enough for us. Unfortunately with the marijuana, it may be too late. these kids are old enough to know that daddy smokes it, or mommy whatever, or even smoked it. even if they never touched weed again, these kids will always remember daddy had it, it can't be that bad.
wdmmom 12:48 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
I would definitely inform the moms. I'd also send an e-mail off to my licensor to be on the safe side for the mandated reporter thing.
I agree with this!!!

3 year olds & 4 year olds knowing about baggies of weed...are you freaking kidding me?! These parents need a wake up call!
Country Kids 12:51 PM 06-07-2011
This is very sad! I do know of a provider that was going through the diaper bag getting something for the baby and guess what she found-a bag of this. Talk about a touchy situation!

What really infurates me about this is the poster said these parents are teachers!!!!! Seriously, we are combating a drug problem daily, begging teenagers and younger not to do drugs and then we have teachers doing this in front of their kids. I would definetly report it, they are breaking the law and doing drugs in front of the kids. I definetly wouldn't want to be the provider having to do this.
Live and Learn 12:54 PM 06-07-2011
Wow!

Not at all funny.

Sometimes I read stories on this forum and I think where did you find these dc parents?

..No offense "you are too loud" but this is indefinitely one of those....where did you find these people?
cheerfuldom 01:09 PM 06-07-2011
I don't think its funny at all. I would talk to the parents (each of them) about this.
PitterPatter 01:23 PM 06-07-2011
OMG Umm... I'm not sure what to say here as I don't want to offend anyone but I would have been sitting there with my jaw on the floor and then immediatley redirect the children. God forbid another child hear that and take that convo home!

Maybe I'm overreacting but aren't we required to report ANY suspected drug use? I mean if it's an old lady with glacoma or whatever fine but I highly doubt school teachers would need this for medicinal purposes. And school teachers? Really?? What is this world coming to? I guess I just think too highly of teachers and don't expect that they would do such things.

I would most def tell the parents and in writing and save a copy. Also document it in your records. Whats sad is I would also have to inform them that I would be reporting it as a mandated reporter. That will more than likely cause some friction. I have it right in my handbook that I will report any drug use or suspicion of such as well as child abuse etc.

I hope this works out for u in the end. Good luck here u are gonna need it!
youretooloud 02:23 PM 06-07-2011
OK.. so, here's an update.

Mom B came in just a bit ago. I asked her. She looked horrified.

But, here's the story...

Last week, Dad A, Dad B, and one other friend went to a baseball game. After the game, they went to other friend's house to "play pool", but got home very late. Mom smelled beer and pot on Dad. So, she flipped out. Her husband was driving, so she was especially mad. She called Mom A, and was complaining loudly about them. So, it turned into a huge fight between Mom and Dad B. (mom and dad A handled it better apparently)

So, Mom said she was completely overreacting, and demanding to have the weed. Her three kids (there's an 11 yr old sister) were all awake and watched the whole thing. Mom found the weed, but, Dad kept it physically from her.

She eventually got it from him, and hid it, but didn't flush it down the toilet.

She says all three kids went in the 11 yr old's room for a while. She "claims" the 11 yr old might have given a more detailed description of what happened, so the kids might understand it better because the 11 yr old told them. I guess it was a pretty dramatic fight. But, she made it sound like the 11 yr old schooled them on pot, not the fight it'self.

So, all four twins and parents were having a pool party this weekend, and the argument came up again, only not nearly as bad, just a small spat... but, all the parents were involved, and all five kids could hear it.

She swears they don't sit around and smoke pot together, and that she hasn't smoked pot since college.
countrymom 04:11 PM 06-07-2011
I'm sorry but that is so funny. I guess if your going to learn about something might as well learn it from home the right way than the wrong way. Lets just say I "know" about things like this.
youretooloud 04:21 PM 06-07-2011
The other mom came and told me a slightly similar story, but had no idea her kids had any knowledge at all. She claims her son was just saying what his friend was telling him to say.

Except she's the one who said "pretend you hid my weed" before anybody else said anything. I wasn't even sure I heard it correctly until the friend followed up with the baggie story.
Tags:drugs, funny, illegal substance, narcotics, rico
Reply Up