Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Crafts For 1 And 2 Year Olds
iheartkids 09:17 PM 12-04-2011
I'd like to have the kids make a couple keepsake Christmas items for the parents. Any ideas I can do with the kids ages 1 and 2?
bice99 10:37 PM 12-04-2011
We did handprint angels on Friday. The parents LOVED them.
Abigail 11:45 PM 12-04-2011
I need ideas too! I'll have two under 2 here the week before Christmas and I would feel horrible if I couldn't find something wonderful for them to do. Please share.....I think it will be something hand prints for the age, but I need more information that just hand prints.
Sunshine44 05:21 AM 12-05-2011
We did handprint salt dough ornaments last week and they turned out great!

2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup water

I pressed their palm down onto the dough and baked on 300 for 2 hrs. Once cooled I put a ribbon through the hole I made at the top (before baking).

Turned out great!
Sunshine44 05:22 AM 12-05-2011
Also, with the salt dough you can have the kids paint them and then spray paint acrylic on it.
SilverSabre25 05:25 AM 12-05-2011
We are going to be making this...today, possiby. Trees are going up so I want to do it soon and send it home. I got red (larger than I like) shatter resistant balls at Target. 12 for $15 so they're kinda pricey.

Linky

I think for my kids I'm going to paint both their hands and then hand them the ornament: "Here hold this! Okay thanks! Give it back!"
Lianne 05:37 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
We are going to be making this...today, possiby. Trees are going up so I want to do it soon and send it home. I got red (larger than I like) shatter resistant balls at Target. 12 for $15 so they're kinda pricey.

Linky

I think for my kids I'm going to paint both their hands and then hand them the ornament: "Here hold this! Okay thanks! Give it back!"
If you haven't done so yet, test out painting the white onto the red ball. I did these last year (Santas instead of snowmen though) and found the red of the ball bled into the white paint making it red. I had to switch to clear ball which I stuffed with red tinsel. Otherwise they turned out super cute!
Lianne 05:42 AM 12-05-2011
For little ones I've taked wooden frames (picture frames from Michaels or framed mirrors from Ikea) where the frame is 2 inches wide or so, which I paint or have the kids paint white. I've painted the kids' handprints in green and placed them, palms touching and fingers out, around the frame as many times as will fit. Usually 2-4 times. Once dry I dip the kids finger tip in red paint and dab it two or three times where the palms meet to create berries. The handrints look like holly anmd the red 'berries' are the finishing touch
Sunchimes 07:23 AM 12-05-2011
I bought 12" floor ceramic floor tiles in a light color at Home Depot. I think I paid $1.35 for them. I'm going to do hand prints on them, along with their names and date. I'll spray them with clear acrylic, glue felt on the bottom and have parent gifts. My kids are 15 months old.

I'm going to dye some mini-rotini and bow ties red and green. I'll cut out a shape, maybe a candy cane or a tree from a cereal box. (I'm making this up as I go--it isn't tested yet.) I'll wield the glue bottle and say, "Here, put this here," until it's covered. Oh, I should probably paint the cardboard first. Hole, ribbon, ornament.

I'm also going to have them thread green and red rotini on a pipe cleaner, bend it into a round shape, twist the ends and have a wreath.

I'm going to cut 3 triangles out of felt or craft foam, using different shades of green. glue them one above the other on a popsicle stick painted brown or on a wide red ribbon.

Oh, and I may cut out foam snowmen and give them markers. They haven't figured out crayons yet, but markers may work better for them.

I'm really trying to avoid handprints and footprints. We did one at Thanksgiving and one at Christmas, and that's enough for me. Unless I can't think of anything else. Then we will have handprints.
SilverSabre25 07:31 AM 12-05-2011
We are going to be decorating Christmas trees--construction paper tree, watered down glue with a paint brush, sequins as ornaments. Great fine motor for my kids.

We are also going to do something with last year's cinnamon pine cones (that don't smell as nice this year). And, depending on the number I have, possibly bird feeders in January.
DaycareMomma 08:20 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
We did handprint salt dough ornaments last week and they turned out great!

2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup water

I pressed their palm down onto the dough and baked on 300 for 2 hrs. Once cooled I put a ribbon through the hole I made at the top (before baking).

Turned out great!
Thanks for the idea! I've been wondering what to do with my 9 month old, 2 year old and 4 year old.

I just read your idea and went and made them. They are in the oven right now! I cannot wait to see how they turn out!!!!
janealb 08:55 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

Linky

These are wonderful!
I love the idea, thanks for sharing!
karen 10:54 AM 12-05-2011
Cinnamon Dough ornaments
Recipe:
3/4 cup applesauce
4 ounces ground cinnamon
Directions
1.Mix the applesauce and cinnamon to form a stiff dough. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters and make a hole for ribbon. Carefully place cookies on a rack to dry. Let air dry for several days, turning occasionally.

Forever Hands
Crayola air dry clay-flatten on small paper plate press child's hand in poke a hole in it so parents can hang up or glue magnetic tape on the back when dry and can go on fridge takes about 3 days to dry. Paint

Handprint Wreath
Cut out child's handprint on red green and blue construction paper, cut out center of paper plate and glue handprints around the plate.

Make a photo albulm of the child's day while in your care.

Cookie hands
Make cookies using the child's hand instead of a cookie cutter

Cookie Jars
Fill with dry ingredients add the recipe-child can help poor ingredients

Calendars
Purchase dollar store calendars 1 per child
Rip off calendar part
staple onto sturdy poster board (size of construction paper)
Paint child's hands and put on top

oriental trading has some affordable crafts for children to make.
Tags:christmas - recipes, christmas crafts, christmas crafts - toddlers, recipes
Reply Up