Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do I say?
DaycareMom 04:29 AM 01-22-2014
OK so l mentioned the other day about how I made the decision to raise rates. Well, today is the day I have to let them know. I wrote a letter detailing how much, when it starts, why, etc.

What do I say when I hand it to them at pick up?
I need a script! lol
I am so beyond nervous.

Do I just hand them the letter and say, "This letter is to let you know of a rate increase. Please look it over and if you have any questions, let me know."

What if they question me on the spot? Do I tell them details?

Please someone help! This is the first time I have ever raised my rates and I have never been more nervous.
jessrlee 04:33 AM 01-22-2014
I just put it in my newsletter. I would just hand it to them and say "this is official notice that we will be increasing rates as of xx. Please read it and let me know if you have any questions." Smile big

Good Luck!
Cat Herder 04:41 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
"This letter is to let you know of a rate increase. Please look it over and if you have any questions, let me know."

What if they question me on the spot? Do I tell them details?
Tell them it is all in the letter and that you do not have time to discuss it during pick up as you are still at work ('ya know, CHILD care).

Let them know they are welcomed to email or make an appointment to discuss it after hours, if they need to, but you will NOT be offering exceptions to the rate.
Unregistered 05:02 AM 01-22-2014
I only raise rates one family at a time. That way if any leave it's only one and then you can replace them before you raise rates on the next family.
Great Beginnings 05:23 AM 01-22-2014
I don't mention it's for a rate increase. I say I'm changing some policies and here is the notice and all the details. Feel free to email me or set up a time to chat with any questions after you review it with DH.
DaycareMom 07:34 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I only raise rates one family at a time. That way if any leave it's only one and then you can replace them before you raise rates on the next family.
The DCMs are super close friends so I know they will be "comparing notes"
lovemykidstoo 07:39 AM 01-22-2014
These suggestions sound good. May I be nosey and ask how much you're raising the rates?
DaycareMom 08:24 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
These suggestions sound good. May I be nosey and ask how much you're raising the rates?
One family has 1 DCB and I am raising their rate by $10/week
The other family has 1 DCB and 1 DCG and I am raising their rate by $15/week.

I haven't raised rates in 5 years so it's time!
CrackerJacks 08:28 AM 01-22-2014
This is what I would say. I personally would also just email the info, that way I don't have to have any awkward moments. Then follow up with a "just want to make sure you received my email regarding the policy changes"

Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:
I don't mention it's for a rate increase. I say I'm changing some policies and here is the notice and all the details. Feel free to email me or set up a time to chat with any questions after you review it with DH.

Laurel 08:29 AM 01-22-2014
I would just hand them the envelope and say "Be sure to read this. I'm giving one to everyone and it is important." Thanks. Big smile.

Laurel
lovemykidstoo 09:45 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
One family has 1 DCB and I am raising their rate by $10/week
The other family has 1 DCB and 1 DCG and I am raising their rate by $15/week.

I haven't raised rates in 5 years so it's time!
I haven't either for existing customers. I figured the amount I was going to raise wasn't worth the worry, so I just increased my rate for all incoming. Good luck, those aren't bad increases. I'm sure they'll be fine with it.
DaycareMom 10:03 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I haven't either for existing customers. I figured the amount I was going to raise wasn't worth the worry, so I just increased my rate for all incoming. Good luck, those aren't bad increases. I'm sure they'll be fine with it.
I can't take any new kids since I have to transport and all seats are filled! Plus, I know they will be with me for at least another year. It was either go up a bit or find replacements and (for the most part) I love my families. We will see how much they love me now
It has definitely caused me so much worry. Glad to hear someone say it's not that bad of an increase. I tried to make it as minimal as possible.
rosieteddy 10:43 AM 01-22-2014
I am always chicken about confrontation.Though I haven't raised rates I have taken more paid time.I usually print up the notice along with other notices.Then I put it in an envelope -2 copies asking them to return one by the next Monday signed to add to their contracts. I always give it on their last day of the week so they have all weekend to get used to the idea.(I told you I was chicken) I think we can feel very vulnerable as this is our home.
Tags:notification letter - rate increase, rate increase
Reply Up