Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Baby Started Today
Leigh 08:57 AM 02-09-2015
A new 8 week old started today. She's been an angel. My issue is that I can NOT get over my fear of SIDS. 2 close friends have lost their kids to SIDS at daycare, and a 3rd lost her baby sister. I could honestly just sit and watch this baby sleep all day. I check on her every couple of minutes and she is sleeping 10 feet from me. Tell me that I'm not the only one that worries like this?
finsup 09:26 AM 02-09-2015
I've gotten better since my first son was born but I still worry and do frequent breathing checks on the babies I figure it doesn't harm them any and it makes me feel better. A little silly yes, but oh well!
laundrymom 09:48 AM 02-09-2015
I have a mom due any day so in 4-5 weeks I will have a 4 wk old. I'm just as paranoid as you. It sucks. But it's what makes us great caregivers.
daycarediva 09:50 AM 02-09-2015
I bought an angel monitor after my ds was taken off of all of his monitors at a year old (nicu baby). I've used it with every child I have ever cared for since then. It's also a huge factor in why I no longer take infants. I CANNOT go through that again.
Annalee 09:58 AM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I have a mom due any day so in 4-5 weeks I will have a 4 wk old. I'm just as paranoid as you. It sucks. But it's what makes us great caregivers.
Licensing does not allow providers in my state to take infants until they are 6 weeks old.
momofsix 10:27 AM 02-09-2015
My "baby" pack-n-play is right next to my rocking chair. Babies don't move to a spot farther away and quieter until they are at least 6 months old and rolling all over the place.
TheGoodLife 04:27 PM 02-09-2015
Get an Angelcare Movement Monitor- the BEST thing ever! I used it for all my girls- it had a motion sensor pad that will sound a beeping alarm if it doesn't sense movement for so many seconds. Let me sleep at night and be assured our babies were breathing!
Starburst 08:33 PM 02-09-2015
That's one of my fears about taking infants when I start. One family I used to babysit for when they were too sick for daycare told me the reason they put their children in a center was because they had another baby before them and he died of SIDS at a home daycare. They said they didn't blame her or anything because they know it happens but that was a risk they didn't want to take again. They didn't tell me until a few months after I started babysitting for them; only because the mother needed me to watch them a little later so she could visit his grave (on his birthday or the anniversary of his death, I forget which). I felt bad about talking about my plans to open a home daycare after that.

Even before that the idea of SIDS freaked me out. One time I was with my friend, babysitting siblings from her mom's daycare. The baby was sick/stuffy and the older one started having bad stomach pains after getting over the stomach flu to the point that my friend had to take him to the hospital and we already put the baby to bed so I told her I'll stay with the baby (she was the one with the car/license). I was in the living room watching TV but would check on the baby every couple of minutes to make sure that he was still breathing (poor thing was snoring because his nose was stuffy).

Even now the baby I watch (in his home) I always check the monitor to make sure I can see he's breathing. His mom puts him to sleep on his stomach, she said she found a study about stomach sleeping only leading to SIDS because of something to do the mattresses/sheets or something emitting toxic gases (first time mom, does lots of research). Not sure if this was what she read but it was the closest I could find. http://www.healthychild.com/has-the-...ds-been-found/
laundrymom 11:56 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Licensing does not allow providers in my state to take infants until they are 6 weeks old.
Our just says "infants". This is my 3rd baby from this family. I'd think twice if I didn't know them so well. Years ago I had one at 4 days. Mom was an ... Entertainment dancer... And literally walked out of the hospital, to her apartment where she slept and nursed for two days, then went back to work.
Reply Up