Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scheduling Field Trips? Letting Families Leave?
Stephnrich 03:01 PM 04-15-2015
I'm a licensed caregiver and can keep 12 children at a time. I've been at capacity for some time and have employed a sub to fill in so I can leave for school pickups/drop offs and appointments. My sub quit without notice today, and with some moves and a child starting kinder, I'll be down to 8 in the fall. I'm considering going from licensed to listed, which is 3. This would allow me to be able to leave my house, which currently I can't do. Because I've never done field trips or brought kids to appts, I'm wondering how yall do it? Plan trips out for the week and give that to parents? Or...? Also, how do I decide which families to keep? Has anyone gone from a larger group to a small one?
Luvnmykidz 03:59 PM 04-15-2015
I am licensed for 7. I also have 3 kids of my own. I plan trips a month in advance. I do a monthly newsletter and send permission slips home at the beginning of the month. I have taken kid son appointment s with me and my children. I have a double stroller and a wagon as well as a baby carrier. Occasionally I have an assistant but lately I have been solo. We attend the library weekly and the park (weather permitting). We also do in house field trips so we don't have to leave the daycare( tumble bus 2 times a month). Its actually pretty easy for me and I don't give it a second thought. It is rather hilarious to see the reaction of other people when we enter a place and I have all the kids. Comments like "man each one has a different dad, or wow she didn't even bother to get out of bed". I just smile and keep it moving unless they directly ask me a question about it. Usually they comment after finding out that its a daycare and they say wow I feel dumb for making that comment, I respond yep you should and smile.
Stephnrich 05:43 AM 04-16-2015
Wow, 10 kids on a field trip. You need a nap after? ;-) do you take everyone on school pickups as well?
DaveA 06:33 AM 04-16-2015
For me field trips and outings are a mix of planned and unplanned. We do pre-k pickup and drop off most days. We go to the library every other Wednesday. We take trips to stores for things we need for daycare (everything from groceries to arts and crafts to feed for the chickens & ducks). Or if it's a nice day we may just pack up and go to the park for a while. The DCPs know that we are out and about a lot. To me it's a vital part of my program.

During the summer it is harder because I have my own kids at home and school agers all day. There I have to plan more and either schedule stuff on days some kids aren't in attendance or take advantage of those days to when I can take them somewhere. We have a big end of summer trip to the zoo and park, but there is always a couple of parents who go so space isn't an issue.

As for downsizing and choosing families no help there.
Reply Up