Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you Refer to your self in third person with kids?
No, never. 10 41.67%
Yeah, sometimes. 10 41.67%
Yes, all the time. 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just For Fun: Third Person
Starburst 08:15 PM 03-30-2015
I watch a 12 year old boy with autism who doesn't understand pronouns (you, me, us, we, they, him, her, etc.) Sometime when he wants to tell you he wants something he will say what he wants you to ask him. [Example: "Do you have to go to the bathroom?"= "I need to go to the bathroom."] And many times he will say 'you' when referring to himself and 'me'/'I' when referring to someone else.

Often, to cut down on confusion, I will refer to him by name and refer to myself in third person [EX: This is Miss S's phone, not Billy's]. I notice that I often do that a lot with little kids (usually babies up to preschoolers) and even my pets (with my cats I refer to myself as Mama and with my brother's cats I use Auntie). I've been doing it so often lately there are times I have to stop myself when talking to older kids and even adults.

So I was wondering: Does anyone else notice if they often reference to themselves in third person (using your name instead of pronouns) when working with kids? Or maybe even with your own kids/pets (using mom/mommy/mama instead of me/I).
NoMoreJuice! 08:29 PM 03-30-2015
Lol, my assistant and I were just laughing at ourselves for this earlier. I've occasionally been guilty of doing it to my husband and pets too!
racemom 11:20 AM 03-31-2015
Yes! One day I was getting out of my car at the store and told the dog Mommy will be right back, you be a good girl. The people in the car next to me were staring at me. I am sure they checked to see what "GIRL" I was leaving in the car!
Tags:just for fun
Reply Up