Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Get Infants To Sleep In Same Room?
winpiglet 11:59 AM 04-01-2015
I am currently watching three infants ages, 8 mos, 8 mos, and 13 months. I currently have them sleeping in 3 separate bedrooms but would like to try and get my daycare down to just the daycare room and a sleeping room, but every time I try to get them to sleep in the same room someone will wake up early and then wake the rest of the babies. I know people do this every day, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Would love any advice. Thank you
Gemma 02:30 PM 04-01-2015
In my opinion, the sooner you start the routine you would like to have, the better!
My infants join the rest of the group, as soon as they can sleep at least 1hr without waking up, when they wake up crying, I give them time to learn to self soothe and go back to sleep, The older kids are only bother the first few times they get waken up, they know babies cry and they know they need to ignore them.

Some kids take longer than others, but believe me, if you stick to your routine, it wont be long till they all get it!
Unregistered 02:33 PM 04-01-2015
Agree.
I let them self soothe. It can be a pain when they wake others but you just gotta get it started and it will get better.
cuphalfful04 07:40 PM 04-02-2015
Curious about this too. I have 4 infants; 2 sleep together and two sleep separately . One of the 2 (9 months old) sleeps alone because she loves to sleep! The other one, (20 months old), is the opposite . After 40 min, she's up and screaming!!!won't play or read quietly in playpen. But I can't bring her out into daycare room because she is SO LOUD she wakes the other 2 ( 7 months and 22 months) in the room. So she screams,babbles and fusses for up to 2 hours until the other two wake up. Unfortunately, I'm about to move and I will only hAve one dedicated daycare space. They will all need to sleep in same room. I am so dreading this!!
Gemma 06:01 AM 04-03-2015
20 and 22mos old are considered toddlers, not infants!
....anyway when it comes to napping, I do not act according to age, I start integrating the infants to the group, as soon as reasonably possible.

The waking up after 30-40 minutes is normal, infants need to learn to transition between sleeping cycles, without fully wake up, and to rush to the crib as soon as baby starts crying to assist baby (or avoid other kids waking up), doesn't help anyone, it actually slows down the process!
Martha Stewart 06:22 AM 04-03-2015
I keep brand new babies (6 weeks - 10 weeks) with me where ever i am in the house all day long. At 10 weeks I integrate the baby into the regular napping area with the other kids. They learn to sleep.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
20 and 22mos old are considered toddlers, not infants!....anyway when it comes to napping, I do not act according to age, I start integrating the infants to the group, as soon as reasonably possible.

The waking up after 30-40 minutes is normal, infants need to learn to transition between sleeping cycles, without fully wake up, and to rush to the crib as soon as baby starts crying to assist baby (or avoid other kids waking up), doesn't help anyone, it actually slows down the process!
A child under 2 may be considered an infant in some areas.
Infant and toddler definitions seem to differ greatly from state to state.

I've seen some states define toddlers as kids as old as 36 months.
Gemma 08:26 AM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've seen some states define toddlers as kids as old as 36 months.
wow! I would never have a Daycare there, I can just imagine the parenting I'd have to deal with!
I hate counting by months, I always screw up!

Ok so lets say "I" (and my State) consider infants, kids that are 12mos and under.
Luvnmykidz 10:53 AM 04-03-2015
Here in MD they're considered infants up to 24 months. As far as sleeping them in the same room. I have two open rooms for nap time and the infants are in one area, the toddlers are in the other area. All of the kids learn to ignore the crying during nap time and my infants learn to nap in the morning while we play. They are used to the noise and play so hard when they are awake, that during nap time no one is awake for more than 10 minutes before both rooms are completely quiet. I also play classical music during nap time and that helps as well.
jenboo 11:00 AM 04-03-2015
wow! I would never have a Daycare there, I can just imagine the parenting I'd have to deal with!
I hate counting by months, I always screw up!

Ok so lets say "I" (and my State) consider infants, kids that are 12mos and under.
I think it's just how they are grouped for licensing purposes. I don't think the parents actually refer to the 3 year old as toddlers nor do the providers.
CraftyMom 02:02 PM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I think it's just how they are grouped for licensing purposes. I don't think the parents actually refer to the 3 year old as toddlers nor do the providers.
I have 2 moms who regularly refer to their kids as toddlers. One will be 3 in a month, the other is 3.5

I have made a point to refer to them as preschoolers. These 2 are very babied to begin with
Gemma 03:50 PM 04-03-2015
So in States where kids are considered infants until they're 24mos, providers have to put them in sleeping sacks and cribs, or what?

I love this Forum, I learn something new, every day!
jenboo 04:52 PM 04-03-2015
So in States where kids are considered infants until they're 24mos, providers have to put them in sleeping sacks and cribs, or what?

I love this Forum, I learn something new, every day!
In my state, licensing considers them infants until 24 months. It's solely for the purpose of ratios, not the care of the child. All children have to be out of cribs by 18 months (according to licensing).
Gemma 10:20 AM 04-04-2015
I guess it makes sense to some, but it is still very confusing to me!

Thanks for the info!
Meeko 03:43 PM 04-04-2015
I have a small room off my playroom that is our nursery. It has 4 cribs in it. The babies all sleep together in that room. When one wakes up...the others just keep sleeping as they are all used to the noise.

In Utah, babies are infants until 12 months and must be in a crib. Anytime after 12 months they can join "genpop" and be out on the floor.

I haven't had any 12 month old's ready for the floor yet. They usually transition at around 18 months.
Reply Up