Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Caterpillars - Who Has Grown Them?
Baby Beluga 08:24 AM 04-04-2016
My children are learning about insects next week and I am considering buying a butterflying growing kit. Has anyone done this before? What is the process and work involved?
Thriftylady 08:26 AM 04-04-2016
There was some discussion about them here.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81723
NillaWafers 08:41 AM 04-04-2016
I just finished with the butterflies, we did them for my Butterfly theme. It was pretty interesting, the kids loved it. It wasn't hard either, do it!
Second Home 10:58 AM 04-04-2016
We did it . It was not much work and the kids loved it . Be prepared for tears when you let them go .
spedmommy4 08:59 PM 04-04-2016
We just finished ours. It was really interesting for the kids. They checked on the caterpillars every day. We documented (drew) and talked about the changes we saw.

As for the process . . .
I picked up the butterfly habitat from Amazon.com for about $16 and it came with a certificate for one cup of caterpillars. I redeemed the coupon online and was able to start within a week of placing the order for the net.

The only thing I had to do was transfer the chrysalis' from the cup to the net habitat, then release the butterflies. Super easy!
Thriftylady 05:30 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
We just finished ours. It was really interesting for the kids. They checked on the caterpillars every day. We documented (drew) and talked about the changes we saw.

As for the process . . .
I picked up the butterfly habitat from Amazon.com for about $16 and it came with a certificate for one cup of caterpillars. I redeemed the coupon online and was able to start within a week of placing the order for the net.

The only thing I had to do was transfer the chrysalis' from the cup to the net habitat, then release the butterflies. Super easy!
I am looking forward to doing these. But we have to wait for summer. For starters it isn't warm enough (45 today for a high) and I want to wait until school is out so my school agers can take part more.
Ariana 06:44 AM 04-05-2016
I did it one year and it was a lot of fun! It took a long time for the caterpillars to turn into butterflies so the kids got a bit bored with it after a while but they still enjoyed releasing them.

I am not quite sure I have ever seen a butterfly the same way again. the whole process was pretty gross
childcaremom 07:13 AM 04-05-2016
Where did you get yours, Ariana? Every time I have looked for one, it has come with warnings in the reviews that the larvae won't ship to Canada.
childcaremom 07:17 AM 04-05-2016
Oh. Just found a site.

http://www.lucysbutterflyfarm.com/
Ariana 07:25 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Where did you get yours, Ariana? Every time I have looked for one, it has come with warnings in the reviews that the larvae won't ship to Canada.
I actually get mine from our local childcare connections organization. They get them shipped from Montreal I believe and i only bought 3. The Montreal Biodome has a butterfly exhibit and I think you can also order directly through there. I think ordering through there (or the website you posted) you end up getting a lot more.
Baby Beluga 07:53 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:

As for the process . . .

That does sound super easy! I went ahead and ordered a kit from Amazon last night figuring if it got and I decided against it I could always return it. I am looking forward to watching the process.
Missjaime 07:54 AM 04-05-2016
I've done these two years in a row now and the kids love them. It is fun to watch how quickly they grow and really interesting to watch how they turn into chrysalides. The only sad thing this year was they hatched into butterflies while we were on a break at Easter! Oops, next year I will have to work the timing better. Kids were very interested and we did lots of fun activities along with it. Easy, fun, and a great learning experience.
Josiegirl 02:27 PM 04-05-2016
We can order the kit any time, then order the chrysalises when.....? I live in northeastern U.S. and it's still cold here.
I should do these this year. It does sound like fun.
bubblegum 02:58 PM 04-05-2016
I think I enjoyed it more than the kids! We have done lady bugs and butterflies.
childcaremom 05:15 PM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I actually get mine from our local childcare connections organization. They get them shipped from Montreal I believe and i only bought 3. The Montreal Biodome has a butterfly exhibit and I think you can also order directly through there. I think ordering through there (or the website you posted) you end up getting a lot more.

Yes, I think the site said 15. That's a lot! Ha. I could start a butterfly empire.

Very cool, though. I really want to do this. Got to wait until it warms up, though.
e.j. 11:43 AM 04-06-2016
When my own kids were young, they would catch caterpillars in the yard and put them in a large, cleaned out peanut butter or applesauce plastic jar with holes punched in the lid. They'd include a stick for them to climb on and leaves for them to eat which would be replace daily or every other day. I have to admit that as much I hate bugs, I loved watching the process of changing into butterflies.

We'd also scoop tadpoles from a local pond and put them into an aquarium in our breezeway. The water had to be replaced every day to keep it from getting to dirty and smelly but watching the tadpoles become adult frogs was also interesting.
Baby Beluga 12:53 PM 04-06-2016
I love hearing the positive experience everyone has had with this. This is my first time and I was worried it would be difficult or the caterpillars would die or not transform. My kit arrives tomorrow and I am so super excited.

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
We can order the kit any time, then order the chrysalises when.....? I live in northeastern U.S. and it's still cold here.
The kits I looked at mentioned ordering when the weather is above 40 and below 85. Some kits come with caterpillars and others come with a certificate where you can order the kit first and the caterpillars later. Mine is *supposed* to come with the caterpillars, but there was conflicting info on that so we shall see.

Originally Posted by e.j.:
We'd also scoop tadpoles from a local pond and put them into an aquarium in our breezeway. The water had to be replaced every day to keep it from getting to dirty and smelly but watching the tadpoles become adult frogs was also interesting.
That sounds neat!
Play Care 10:09 AM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I seem to recall when we did ours that they would only ship the caterpillars during the warmer months. I'll have to see if I still have that information.

It was pretty cool!
Ariana 11:16 AM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

Yes, I think the site said 15. That's a lot! Ha. I could start a butterfly empire.

Very cool, though. I really want to do this. Got to wait until it warms up, though.
LOL! gues who just ordered 15?

I'm hoping to share some with my neighbor!
Baby Beluga 10:21 PM 04-07-2016

I got 10 I was afraid some would be DOA so wanted extra just in case.

And, they came today!! The kids are SO excited. As am I.
Ariana 10:43 AM 04-08-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I got 10 I was afraid some would be DOA so wanted extra just in case.

And, they came today!! The kids are SO excited. As am I.
Yay! Hope you enjoy it! Which kind did you order? I got the painted lady, the monarchs were not available.

Mine get shipped mid may and with the snow and cold we are getting here the past few days it is kind of a good thing!
Baby Beluga 07:24 PM 04-08-2016

Yay! Hope you enjoy it! Which kind did you order? I got the painted lady, the monarchs were not available.

Mine get shipped mid may and with the snow and cold we are getting here the past few days it is kind of a good thing!
I also got the painted lady. I am amazed how much they have grown in just 24 hours. Even DH noticed the difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Butte...=butterfly+kit
KiddieCahoots 07:43 PM 04-08-2016
Have done this and it's a blast! Says the science/outdoor nut....or just the Tom boy reliving her childhood experiences through the kids in care
Check out the butterflies that are native to your area.
Have Swallow tail butterflies native to my area. They eat parsley. We plant parsley as one part of our curriculum, then attract the Swallow tail butterflies with the parsley to lay eggs and so forth.....
We do it every yr
Baby Beluga 08:05 PM 04-08-2016
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Have done this and it's a blast! Says the science/outdoor nut....or just the Tom boy reliving her childhood experiences through the kids in care
Have Swallow tail butterflies native to my area. They eat parsley. We plant parsley as one part of our curriculum, then attract the Swallow tail butterflies with the parsley to lay eggs and so forth.....
We do it every yr
That's a wonderful idea and would make a great extension to this project. Off to do some googling
Unregistered 08:35 PM 04-08-2016
We do it every yr
We do monarchs every year. Milkweed grows like a weed You can find it everywhere. The eggs are usually on the underside of the leaf.
We will have to try planting parsley. We get yellow swallowtails here but they lay eggs on lots of different plants, right? Can you tell me what the eggs look like, size, shape, color, etc?
Luvnmykidz 08:38 PM 04-08-2016
We did this last year. The kids enjoyed it. We sliced oranges and they were able to stick small slices in the butterfly garden for the butterflies. We read books about them and they watched them and drew pictures daily. One of the caterpillars had a bent wing and one of the kids pointed out that they are different just like people and some may need more help than others. We took a field trip to an open field at the local park in our neighborhood to release them. Each child was able to help do something and there were no tears at the end. We will do it again this year.
KiddieCahoots 08:56 PM 04-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We do monarchs every year. Milkweed grows like a weed You can find it everywhere. The eggs are usually on the underside of the leaf.
We will have to try planting parsley. We get yellow swallowtails here but they lay eggs on lots of different plants, right? Can you tell me what the eggs look like, size, shape, color, etc?
It's really hard to see the eggs. Like you mentioned, they are usually on the underside of the leave, but as you know, parsley leaves are very small and vast. What I usually see is the caterpillar. They are very bright green with yellow, white and black stripes. Those you can see very clearly, even when they are small
Unregistered 05:32 AM 04-09-2016
It's really hard to see the eggs. Like you mentioned, they are usually on the underside of the leave, but as you know, parsley leaves are very small and vast. What I usually see is the caterpillar. They are very bright green with yellow, white and black stripes. Those you can see very clearly, even when they are small
Thank you! I would love to have swallowtails as well as monarchs. Interesting how similar the caterpillars are - but no bright green for monarch caterpillars.
So when you plant parsley, do you have caterpillars every year? We watch the nearby patches of milkweed and every time we see a monarch hovering near it, there are eggs. We raise dozens every year. No crying at release here - maybe because the kids have watched releases their whole lives.
KiddieCahoots 02:15 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you! I would love to have swallowtails as well as monarchs. Interesting how similar the caterpillars are - but no bright green for monarch caterpillars.
So when you plant parsley, do you have caterpillars every year? We watch the nearby patches of milkweed and every time we see a monarch hovering near it, there are eggs. We raise dozens every year. No crying at release here - maybe because the kids have watched releases their whole lives.
Np We try it every yr but don't always get them. When the parsley grows in early and becomes dense quickly is when we attract them the most. Good Luck!
Tags:butterflies, butterfly, caterpillars, insects
Reply Up