Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tantrums Of A Different Sort ...
DBug 06:22 AM 03-17-2010
I have a 24 month old that has been throwing tantrums for several months, but the thing is, he doesn't throw them when he doesn't get his own way. He throws them when another child comes near him (not all the time, but a good portion of the time). During circle time, if someone else's foot is too close to his (ie within 6 inches or so), he'll scream and yell at their foot. He also will sit in a chair, or hold a toy and yell "Mine! It's mine! IT'S mine! It's MINE!!" repeatedly, even though no one is near him or showing any interest in whatever he's claiming. If he's climbing up the stairs with everyone for potty time, he yells that the stairs are his. If I acknowledge that the toy his, or that he's the one playing with it (sitting on it/the owner of it/etc), he still keeps screaming. One of my sons is very eccentric, so I've been figuring these "tantrums" are just personality quirks. But just today, the other two toddlers have started copying him and are saying "mine" about everything. This could get dicey really quickly, and it's already driving me crazy (and it's only 9:20 in the morning!).

Has anybody else ever dealt with something like this? Should I be giving time-outs when he starts with the yelling?
missnikki 08:38 AM 03-17-2010
For sure I would start a weeklong sharing curriculum. Start by bringing in something like a new toy, and say "This is mine. I think I would like to share it with you so that you can play with it too. Isn't it fun?" Enforce with him in particular that you like to share your toys with him. Also, at circle time pass it around and say 'now share it with _____ and let them have a turn..."
Keep using 'share', 'turn', etc....all week long. You can find ideas online everywhere, I'd just saturate the share theme.
Out of curiosity- does he have anything strange going on at home? Or possible learning disabilities? Just a heads up on those, keep it in mind.
missnikki 08:41 AM 03-17-2010
As far as time outs when yelling, treat it as you would any other kid disrupting the group. The others may catch on what happens when you act like that. Keep him apart from the group till he settles down. (It's not a time-out, it's calm-down time.)
Tags:learning disability, tantrums, yelling
Reply Up