Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Parent Interview In A Couple Hours
cheeseheadmama 01:45 PM 08-03-2011
I have my first parent "interview" coming in just a few hours and I am stumped for what questions I should be making sure I ask her. She is a neighbor that I know causally and her kids will be starting in a few weeks with half day care, so I know I already have the job. We are getting together to iron out the details and get the grand tour. I have been working hard at getting contracts, policies and handbook ready but they aren't finalized yet.

Any "red flag" type questions you ask to see what type of response you get? Anything I should NOT ask? What is your "go-to" question that you ask everyone?

Thanks!
Sara
Cat Herder 01:55 PM 08-03-2011
Just say NO!!!

No, I can't open early for you.
No, I can't discount my rate for you.
No, I can't stay open later for you.
No, I don't offer *****

You get the picture....

Have a good contract, don't make policies you won't enforce, the FIRST time you make an exception or don't follow your own policies is the beginning of your going out of business yard sale...

Read Nan's blog on the Art of the interview.

I am already nervous for you about her being a neighbor, the "Iron out the details" part AND the way you said "I already have the job".

Please stick to your guns and know that YOU are your employer, not HER.

Good luck, hun!!!
nannyde 02:02 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Just say NO!!!

No, I can't open early for you.
No, I can't discount my rate for you.
No, I can't stay open later for you.
No, I don't offer *****

You get the picture....

Have a good contract, don't make policies you won't enforce, the FIRST time you make an exception or don't follow your own policies is the beginning of your going out of business yard sale...

Read Nan's blog on the Art of the interview.

Good luck, hun!!!
Just say NO

Taking care of neighbor kids is really risky. Buyer beware
Childminder 02:03 PM 08-03-2011
I hope that you have better luck with your interview than I did today. Two scheduled and both no shows. Yay me.
cheeseheadmama 02:18 PM 08-03-2011
I have been watching my friends' kids for the last 2 years so I am DEFINITELY aware of all the issues that can arise. I think we have covered most of them and have been pretty strict with my new policies. I have been in the mentality of "doing them a favor" for the last 2 years and have only recently started to look at this as I deserve their respect and courtesy regarding the care of their children. It had to get pretty bad to get me to this point, but I am prepared for the children that I am already watching to leave if the parents don't care for my rules. They have no IDEA how good they have had if for the last 2 years and I am really getting my eyes opened by everyone on this board as to how much they have been taking advantage of me. So thank you to everyone already.

Sara
Cat Herder 02:34 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by cheeseheadmama:
I have been watching my friends' kids for the last 2 years so I am DEFINITELY aware of all the issues that can arise. I think we have covered most of them and have been pretty strict with my new policies. I have been in the mentality of "doing them a favor" for the last 2 years and have only recently started to look at this as I deserve their respect and courtesy regarding the care of their children. It had to get pretty bad to get me to this point, but I am prepared for the children that I am already watching to leave if the parents don't care for my rules. They have no IDEA how good they have had if for the last 2 years and I am really getting my eyes opened by everyone on this board as to how much they have been taking advantage of me. So thank you to everyone already.

Sara
Ahh... I see, Sorry.

I saw "First Interview" and wanted that message to be in the back of your head....

A Psuedo-Backbone so to speak...
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, interview, new clients, new daycare
Reply Up