Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Normal?
Unregistered 03:43 PM 01-11-2020
I have a child who is about to turn 4. They can't drink from nonsippy cups. When given an open cup, they clamp down on it and loudly suck until it's empty. Is this normal? I've never seen any thing like this before even from much younger children.
Reply
CeriBear 05:21 PM 01-11-2020
No, this is not normal for a 4 year old to drink like this. I work with 3.5 to 4s and none of them have problems drinking from a regular cup.
Reply
Cat Herder 04:58 AM 01-12-2020
How is this child doing in other milestones? Has the child been given the opportunity to drink from regular cups prior to this? Home? Previous childcare? How long has this child been in your care?
Reply
Msdunny 05:38 AM 01-12-2020
I am wondering if they have used open cups before? It sounds like the child is trying to drink from it like he or she would a sippy cup, or even a cup with a straw.
Reply
Ariana 08:36 AM 01-12-2020
They probably have zero experience with sippy cups and have no idea what to do! I assume you have shown her how to hold and tip a cup?
Reply
284878 10:21 AM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a child who is about to turn 4. They can't drink from nonsippy cups. When given an open cup, they clamp down on it and loudly suck until it's empty. Is this normal? I've never seen any thing like this before even from much younger children.
Does the child do this every time they drink?
If it only happened once, I would go with the child being really thirsty.
Otherwise I may assume that the child still gets a bottle at home.
Reply
Unregistered 12:18 PM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
Does the child do this every time they drink?
If it only happened once, I would go with the child being really thirsty.
Otherwise I may assume that the child still gets a bottle at home.
Every time! When I, or other children, show the how they continue doing it their way. The child looks and acts like a 2 year old. They started Monday.
Reply
Ariana 04:39 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Every time! When I, or other children, show the how they continue doing it their way. The child looks and acts like a 2 year old. They started Monday.
Not sure what it is like in your area but nearly every child who has started with me in the past two years or so is really behind developmentally. If this is their first time in care it will explain a lot. Parents require nothing of their kids at home and donít bother to learn about ages and stages of development.

Have you mentioned it to the parents yet?
Reply
Tags:asq, assessment, milestones - physical, sippy cup
Reply Up