Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Go Ahead and Spend My Money.....
Countrygal 06:47 PM 06-02-2012
I am receiving my grant money soon, and I'm having trouble deciding where to spend it.

Since it's my first year I only get 1/2, so it's not really enough to purchase the things I need (like storage), at least not from Kaplan's, Lakeshore or DSS. I made up a list and all I could think was "this is just more stuff I don't have room for!

I am an in-home DC and have limited space and storage. I'm beginning to think I should just tell them I'm not going to spend it all, but I thought I'd be better off asking on here first - y'all have such great ideas and suggestions!

So, go ahead and tell me how I should/could spend my money, PLEASE!
itlw8 06:59 PM 06-02-2012
how much money
Countrygal 07:53 PM 06-02-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
how much money
It's 250, but has to be spent at one of the sites listed. I picked out a bunch of small things, but I don't really NEED them, ya know? I don't want to spend money just to be spending money. There are some storage baskets I need for one of my shelves, and I thought about just buying bins or something, but I really don't need them right now. UGH!
jokalima 07:56 PM 06-02-2012
how do you get those grants?
godiva83 09:56 PM 06-02-2012
What about art supplies? I find I am constantly restocking paints, papers, glue, stickers, brushes, glitter, feathers, markers, yarn, embroidery thread, gimp, crayons ect
They are also somewhat easy to stow away in a rubber maid bin for when you do run out
Abigail 10:05 PM 06-02-2012
I got a grant and had to purchase from either Kaplan at 20% off their rate and no taxes or lakeshore with only a 7% discount, but you have to pay 7% in taxes so really no savings there! I spent all my grant a few months ago with Kaplan. I was going to get all those little craft supplies, but once again I don't do in-depth crafts with my 2 year olds and most of that I could get at Hobby Lobby at 40% anyways. I did get some art smocks though that are long sleeve, but I don't like them. Thing is with the grant money you spend you can't get rid of anything until so many months after you earned the grant.

I would look through their site and find things that you could use right now if you got it. I got a few things that my kids are not old enough for and it drives me nuts.

One thing you should ask your lady who is giving you the grant is if you purchase some books or something along that line if you're able to use them as "gifts" for the kid's birthdays or Christmas. That way you're covered. They have tons of books on clearance for $3.

What I keep in mind for purchasing from Kaplan is "Can I find this locally or not" and if not it's definitely something to add to my wishlist.

OKAY, I just signed in and printed off what I purchased. From what I purchased I would buy again...
1. Sandwich Making Set $17.95, discount price was $14.90
http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...%7C0&PID=30093
2. Egg & Spoon Race Game $14.95, discounted $12.41
http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...%7C0&PID=81939
3. Do-A-Dot Rainbow Art Set of 6 $15.95, discounted $13.24
http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...%7C0&PID=47336

I have all 2 year olds who used all of the above. We haven't used the sandwich set yet but it really does look real. If I put it on the counter my dh would probably try to pick it up to eat it. LOL. The egg and spoon race game is all larger and we use it to open the shell and take out and put back the fabric egg then when they're better with balancing we'll do races outside. The rainbow art set we use weekly as dobbers. I want more colors. The ink will stay in their skin for up to 2 days though so make sure to watch carefully. We have a laminate table that wipes clean everytime, but if it gets on your skin or clothes it's ink so beware. Kids love love love it. I limit one color at a time.

I did purchase a lot more, but I got a clearance cubby unit and sleeping cots. Make sure to let us know what you're deciding on!
Countrygal 05:50 AM 06-03-2012
jokalima - You have to be involved with a rating service to get the grant money. In our state it is Youngstar. I'm sure your certifier or licenser (ok, how do you spell that word??) would be able to help

Everyone - Thanks for the suggestions so far! I like the egg and spoon game! And art supplies would be a good idea as well!

So far I have a spare chair, which I need, and the baskets for my shelving unit. But I still have over 150 left. One thing I was thinking of was a felt board, but I don't think we'd use it that much and the sets are expensive....
snbauser 06:21 AM 06-03-2012
If you don't have these, I would highly recommend them. http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...%7C0&PID=48099 They are pricey but I got these with a grant almost 2 years ago and they are still played with every.single.day. And they really don't take up a lot of room.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 06-03-2012
Originally Posted by jokalima:
how do you get those grants?
Check with your local Child Care Resource and Referral as they ahve info for many types of grants for child care providers.

Not all these grants require you to be involved with a star rating system (as my state is just now in the infancy stage of a rating system) but our CCR&R has had grants for tons of things such as the need for safety equipment, new start up grants, grants for schooling and other things.

So definitely check with them.
itlw8 03:32 PM 06-03-2012
I would make a list of where you want to improve your program. I love art supplies but you can always buy those 1 at a time so I would use it on larger items

Unit blocks and magna tiles are both super and you learn so much you will need several sets to really have fun.

Unit blocks are my first choice.

a sensory table , 3 sided easel if you let them paint alot a paint drying rack is wonderful

pick something well made and that would be out of reach because of cost. like the heavy metal trikes that last for 20 years.
Heidi 05:09 PM 06-03-2012
The grant money can't be used for "consumables" like art supplies....

I had $500 to spend, because I am licensed vs. certified and it's my 2nd year. I'll tell you, I had a hard time spending that $500 as well. It's such a small amount of money when you're buying through those catalogs. I found the exact same items elsewhere alot cheaper, but we must purchase from the catalogs.

We have to give the consultant the list, and they order the stuff. I beleive that decided to do that so that people can't order stuff, keep it long enough for an observation, and then return it for the cash.

Honestly...who comes up with these things?
Reply Up