Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>How to Pay a New Helper/Sub
daycaremom88 01:35 PM 03-17-2015
Hi I am new to the having a secondary provider/sub world. I am trying to figure out what the best way to pay her is.. I've seen some do it as contract labor and some take out the taxes. Does anyone know what is best? Is one better than the other for certain situations.?

TIA
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by daycaremom88:
Hi I am new to the having a secondary provider/sub world. I am trying to figure out what the best way to pay her is.. I've seen some do it as contract labor and some take out the taxes. Does anyone know what is best? Is one better than the other for certain situations.?

TIA
You MUST pay as an employer.

Do NOT pay her as an independent contractor unless she is in the business of providing substitute care for other programs as HER business.

Her is Tom Copeland's blog about hiring employees
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/.serv...er.q=employees

Here are some more about hiring
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/.serv...er.q=employees
Unregistered 04:54 AM 04-18-2015
I'm a member just forgot to login. I am also in this situation. Just found out I'm pregnant and now have to go through the headache of doctors appts and such. Is there a service that would even do temp work like that because as I've research it would be almost a nightmare for both me and my family's wallet to hire anyone as an employee no matter how many hours they are working just with all the taxes and accountant fees quarterly and stuff when all I need is someone to sub for a couple hours once a month then a couple weeks at the end of my pregnancy.
TomCopeland 04:10 PM 04-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm a member just forgot to login. I am also in this situation. Just found out I'm pregnant and now have to go through the headache of doctors appts and such. Is there a service that would even do temp work like that because as I've research it would be almost a nightmare for both me and my family's wallet to hire anyone as an employee no matter how many hours they are working just with all the taxes and accountant fees quarterly and stuff when all I need is someone to sub for a couple hours once a month then a couple weeks at the end of my pregnancy.
You may be able to hire a temp agency to send someone to your home to be a substitute when you can't work. If you pay the temp agency, then this person is an independent contractor and you don't have to worry about payroll taxes, etc.
Tags:helpers, substitute
Reply Up