Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Replacing Items
Lyss 08:07 AM 10-25-2013
Can I deduct the cost of items broken due to daycare even if they are not daycare related items?

Like if a dck accidentally breaks something can I write off the cost to replace it?
Brooksie 09:33 AM 10-25-2013
If a DCK breaks something here, the parents are responsible for replacement. I wouldn't wat to write it off for taxes.
BrooklynM 10:31 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
If a DCK breaks something here, the parents are responsible for replacement. I wouldn't wat to write it off for taxes.
I'm confused. Is this just if the parents are there when it happened?
Brooksie 10:57 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I'm confused. Is this just if the parents are there when it happened?
Nope. I mean little things, like a ripped book is whatever. I wouldn't worry about that and definitely wouldn't worry about it for taxes. Although if I made a purchase for the daycare in general I guess I would write it off. But if a kid breaks something on purpose (older age) and its of some value or the damage any property its in my contract that the parent is responsible for reimbursement. I haven't had to do it yet but I did term one child who I thought was getting close. He was very violent and used to throw toys and swing them at the walls like base ball bats..

I guess if its accidental its up to you. I didn't catch that part when I responded. I'm talking about willfully damaging things. So nevermind! lol

Any thing I buy for the save receipts for, whether its a first time buy or a replacement. But I don't know how it would be any different. a purchase is a purchase is a purchase...
BrooklynM 11:02 AM 10-25-2013
Nope. I mean little things, like a ripped book is whatever. I wouldn't worry about that and definitely wouldn't worry about it for taxes. Although if I made a purchase for the daycare in general I guess I would write it off. But if a kid breaks something on purpose (older age) and its of some value or the damage any property its in my contract that the parent is responsible for reimbursement. I haven't had to do it yet but I did term one child who I thought was getting close. He was very violent and used to throw toys and swing them at the walls like base ball bats..

I guess if its accidental its up to you. I didn't catch that part when I responded. I'm talking about willfully damaging things. So nevermind! lol

Any thing I buy for the save receipts for, whether its a first time buy or a replacement. But I don't know how it would be any different. a purchase is a purchase is a purchase...
Got it. Since they are in your care, though, wouldn't you be responsible? I'm surprised the DCP would sign that. To be honest, I wouldn't sign that. I would understand that once I got to the home to pick up my child that I was now responsible, but when they are under your "watch" I would think that you would be the one that is responsible. Maybe it's something common providers do and I just didn't think about it? It would be nice to have the parents replace things, lol.
Brooksie 11:08 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Got it. Since they are in your care, though, wouldn't you be responsible? I'm surprised the DCP would sign that. To be honest, I wouldn't sign that. I would understand that once I got to the home to pick up my child that I was now responsible, but when they are under your "watch" I would think that you would be the one that is responsible. Maybe it's something common providers do and I just didn't think about it? It would be nice to have the parents replace things, lol.
• Liability for Damage and Property. I will do my best to child-proof my Home and maintain order, but in the event your Child willfully causes damage to any property in my Home, you will be responsible for any all repair or replacement costs promptly on demand.
INT_____

Everyone signs it and everyone seems to think it makes sense. lol It was recommended to me by my "mentor" provider whos been doing this for 20+ years.
Lyss 01:44 PM 10-28-2013
Eek been MIA around here lately with a sick kiddo so late reply

I do charge parents for willful destruction (I've done it on 2 occasions so far) but I usually don't for the accidental stuff.

Its only been a one or two smallish things, but they are things that I have to replace. I was just wondering about it while I was waiting in line at the store.
Brooksie 04:25 PM 10-28-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Eek been MIA around here lately with a sick kiddo so late reply

I do charge parents for willful destruction (I've done it on 2 occasions so far) but I usually don't for the accidental stuff.

Its only been a one or two smallish things, but they are things that I have to replace. I was just wondering about it while I was waiting in line at the store.
Yea I realized the accidental comment after I responded And I do the same as you when it comes to small accidental. For me, I save all my purchases for the daycare. If its a replacement or not, its still a purchase for your business. Save that receipt! Hope your sick kiddo is recovering!
Lyss 02:29 PM 10-29-2013
Yea I realized the accidental comment after I responded And I do the same as you when it comes to small accidental. For me, I save all my purchases for the daycare. If its a replacement or not, its still a purchase for your business. Save that receipt! Hope your sick kiddo is recovering!
Sweet! I'm saving them! Thanks!

DD is much better now but it was a long weekend!
TomCopeland 09:32 AM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Can I deduct the cost of items broken due to daycare even if they are not daycare related items?

Like if a dck accidentally breaks something can I write off the cost to replace it?
This question is not directly answered by the IRS. I wouldn't try to deduct it because it doesn't meet the test of being an "ordinary and necessary" expense for your business.
Unregistered 10:28 AM 12-19-2014
How does one handle when (accidental or purposeful) a child or children don't follow the rules and in the process breaks something big? I'm talking $2500 items. A) the child/children weren't supposed to be there B) they were playing inappropriately as well. The damage was a side effect of them rough housing where they weren't supposed to be.
Play Care 11:14 AM 12-19-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How does one handle when (accidental or purposeful) a child or children don't follow the rules and in the process breaks something big? I'm talking $2500 items. A) the child/children weren't supposed to be there B) they were playing inappropriately as well. The damage was a side effect of them rough housing where they weren't supposed to be.
I would term the child before it got to that point. I let my two BIG SA boys go last year because they were just TOO big for my space, LOL. I could see them starting to wrestling and breaking something in that process. Obviously I watched them like a hawk (more so than I feel one should have to with SA kids, to be honest) and even with that they easily escalated. Thankfully they were gone before anything was broken.
If they did break something due to deliberate disobedience/defiance, I charge the family.
That said, how did they get to where they were not supposed to be? Where were you when this happened? The only reason I felt comfortable charging parents for broken items is because I was there and the child was defying me and I actually witnessed the item being damaged. If I didn't see it, or who did it, etc. I'd be less inclined to charge. IME, parents will pay out if you can say you were actively supervising when it happened. If there is a history of defiance, I'd have no choice but to term.
AmyKidsCo 01:16 PM 12-22-2014
• Liability for Damage and Property. I will do my best to child-proof my Home and maintain order, but in the event your Child willfully causes damage to any property in my Home, you will be responsible for any all repair or replacement costs promptly on demand.
INT_____

Everyone signs it and everyone seems to think it makes sense. lol It was recommended to me by my "mentor" provider whos been doing this for 20+ years.
I have a similar policy but have never had to use it.

I use my main floor for DC so wear or tear on things available to the DCK are claimed. But if it was a personal item, like I left my coat on the floor and it got ripped, I wouldn't claim it.
Tags:broken items, parent responsible for damages
Reply Up