Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: How many children have a TV/other media in their room?
My child has a TV in their room 9 56.25%
My child has other media (DVD/video game/etc) in their room 9 56.25%
At least one dck (under 5) has a TV in their room 8 50.00%
At least one dck (under 5) has other media in their room 4 25.00%
At least one dck (over 5) has a TV in their room 3 18.75%
At least one dck (over 5) has other media in their room 2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maybe a Poll?? How Many of Your DCK or Own Kids....
daycare 09:41 AM 08-15-2011
Have TV's in their own room with cable or without? Or have TV/Video game/DVD?

I was very surprised to learn the number of my DCK that have a TV in their room. All of the kids in my care are 5 years of age or younger.

I was talking to one of the DCM about her 4.5 year old DCB behavior on that day and she said yeah well we caught him up at 3am watching tv in his room......HUH??

I a very curious to know the outcome!! Thanks
SilverSabre25 09:47 AM 08-15-2011
Poll added. Do you like those questions or would you like it asked a different way?
Meyou 09:50 AM 08-15-2011
We have one tv in the family room with a DVD player, Wii and PS3. No cable at all.
We have a 2nd tv in the playroom with VCR for my kids on the weekends and the odd rainy day movie day.

We don't have any cable or tv channels at all. We cut the cable a couple of years ago and never looked back. We download shows we like or watch movies or don't turn it on at all.
AnneCordelia 09:51 AM 08-15-2011
I have 4 children of my own and none have any media in their rooms. The phone is in the kitchen, the TV in the family room and the laptop in the livingroom. They are free to use our media in our shared areas of the home. Perhaps when they are grown and pay rent I'll consider allowing a TV in their room. I'm not a fan though.

My DCK are all toddlers...none have TVs but one DCM mentioned recently removing a TV from her toddler's room. It was there for her to watch while night nursing. He started getting excited about seeing it so they removed it.
Cat Herder 10:01 AM 08-15-2011
All of my own kids have a TV (from age 6, now teens), computer, printer, DVD player, and stereo in their rooms.

We did virtual public school, at home, for many yeas and that required access to mixed media.

As with anything else child related, common sense and supervision is required.

All of my DCK's have had TV'S and DVD players in their bedrooms too, that I am aware of, for at least the last 7 years.

Before that, I think they were more often found in family rooms. Now "family rooms" are TV free, here, and are for game nights, books, just hanging out and talking.

I think it is because the ratings systems have become so unreliable that parents set the kids TV's to JUST kids stations so there is no chance of mix-ups.

Their own TV's are in their bedrooms as well with regular stations available.
GretasLittleFriends 10:09 AM 08-15-2011
We don't have TV reception where we live, since the digital conversion was done.

In our living room we have TV, old school nintendo, ps2, XBox360 (with Kinnect - great for workouts!), DVD player and VHS. During quiet time the SAs can watch a movie, or sometimes first thing in the morning I'll put in a 1/2 hour movie (Franklin or something like that PBS related). None of my daycare kids play our video game systems, EVER.

In our bedroom, TV, DVD & VHS.

In my oldest DD(15) room she has a TV and PS2 (you can watch DVD's on PS2). She also has her own cell phone, but that was a gift from her best friend, and is on the best friend's plan... Long story.

As far as my dcks go, I think only one of them has a tv in his room, and he probably has every bell and whistle to go with it at his dad's house. At his mom's it was TV and DVD player to sleep at night, that was at their old house. Mom sold that place, and has been living with her parents and in the process of buying a new place. I'd imagine that he will again have TV and DVD player in his room.
laundrymom 10:11 AM 08-15-2011
I have tv w/cable Wii xbox Sony dvr in living room. Cable dvr in kitchen and same in my room. My kids haven't got tv in their rooms, but my teens have laptops. We don't have tv available for dc & I'm not sure of their tv at home
Sunshine44 10:19 AM 08-15-2011
None of my kids or my dck's have tvs or anything in their room and I like it that way. I do not believe in tvs in the rooms. If they dont' like it they can move out and buy their own house!
daycare 10:23 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Poll added. Do you like those questions or would you like it asked a different way?
silver, thanks so mcuh... whatever you think would be the best way to word it.... thanks so much!
spud912 01:41 PM 08-15-2011
We have 2 tv's in the house: one in the family room and one in our bedroom. The one in our bedroom was unplugged for about 8 months until we plugged it in one time for our daughter to watch a movie. It has not been turned on since (in 4 months).

Our main tv does not have cable, but we do have Netflix online, a PS3, and a DVD player. We also have a digital antenna and get a few local channels. My husband is more into the tv than I am and is much more prone to putting on shows for our 2 year old daughter.

If I had my way, she would be limited to 30 minutes of screen time a day. I personally don't think it's appropriate for her to have a tv in her room, at least not until she is 5+ years old.
Meeko 01:52 PM 08-15-2011
My kids have never had TV's or computers in their rooms.

We have a computer room in the basement. My husband, son and both daughters have their computers all set in the same room as they like to play games together. There is a small storage room off of the computer room that we turned into an office for me. Our TV is in our family room at the other end of the basement.

My husband and I have a TV in our room.
wdmmom 02:08 PM 08-15-2011
No TV's in any bedroom. No video games either. My oldest daughter has a laptop with no internet access that she may take to her room when she is doing homework but it is taken away at 10pm each night. She gets it back at 7am. No telephones/cell phones either!

Kids need sleep!!! My kids especially!
PitterPatter 04:30 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Have TV's in their own room with cable or without? Or have TV/Video game/DVD?

I was very surprised to learn the number of my DCK that have a TV in their room. All of the kids in my care are 5 years of age or younger.

I was talking to one of the DCM about her 4.5 year old DCB behavior on that day and she said yeah well we caught him up at 3am watching tv in his room......HUH??

I a very curious to know the outcome!! Thanks
Had that same prob here with the recently termed moody DCM that flipped out. She told me all the time she takes DCB home (at 7) and puts him in his room usually unless she is going out then he was picked up and dropped elsewhere. She said most of the time she will check on him in his room before she goes to bed but sometimes she just falls asleep. She told me a few times when he arrived cranky and taking swings at me that he was up all night. She said she had got up to go to the bathroom and he was still up at 5am watching nick so he just needs sleep. No big deal just let him go to sleep.

My son has had a TV in his room since he was 5 (DirecTV sattelite blocked with kids channels only) along with his DVD & VCR. At 6 he was given a Playstation 2. He does not use anything on his little entertainment center without asking first. If he has not earned some time then he is not permitted to use anything. He also has Leapster (he had that when he was about 3) and a DS he was given at the age of 7. He wants a Wii and an Xbox like his friends all have but I don't think he needs them quite yet. Maybe the Wii for Christmas so we can play together as an active exersize.

He also has 1 of those stereo combos with the record player, cassett, cd, radio. His computer is just my old one and is kept in the upstairs game room fo his use only (when it was working, now he shares mine) No phones in his room, yet.
Tags:computer, games, poll, television, tv trends
Reply Up